Hand & Nail Harmony Gelish Gel Polish

Hand & Nail Harmony Gelish Gel Polish

4.5

on 11/15/2011 5:02:00 PM

I have used many, many different gel polish brands (everything from the cheap no-name brand on Ebay, to Axxium and Shellac) and this is hands down (no pun intended!) the best out there.

As others have stated, the Red Carpet brand at Ulta is the same, and what they sell at Sally's are smaller bottles and you don't get a lot for your money. Amazon has great prices, too.

My method:
1. Trim/file nails and buff the shine off the nail plate with a foam block buffer.
2. Clean nail plate with alcohol.
3. Apply a nail dehydrator (I use different ones, all from Sally's and cheap)
4. Apply one thin coat (literally just enough to coat the nail) and onto the tip to wrap it.
5. I have done 30 seconds and never had an issue, but you won't ruin anything by doing a minute base cure. 36W UV lamp to cure. Cure times are less with LED.
6. Apply thin coats of polish until desired opacity, curing for two minutes each, OR if you just want clear, go straight for the Top it Off topcoat, curing for 2 minutes.
7. After you cure your topcoat, use rubbing alcohol to remove the sticky film layer.

I usually do just a base coat and one layer of topcoat, it takes me 10 minutes or less and I will apply regular polish right on top as usual with a coat of Seche Vite or Poshe. I will get days of wear from this and just remove with non-acetone when I am ready to change colors. OR I apply polish, wait a day or two, and then wipe with alcohol, and apply a layer of Top it Off right on top, curing for two minutes then wiping off residue with alcohol. This will last me two weeks.

Gelish cures hard, super gelly shiny, and lasts and lasts. My removal process involves a metal cuticle pusher that has a spoon-like end which I use to push off the soft gel once I have soaked in acetone for 10 minutes. I do the cotton balls soaked in acetone, held on my nails with tinfoil method. I always make sure to apply a good oil or lotion afterward and wait a day before more gel so my nails breathe.

I have had no damage to my nails since using this system, they grow out fabulously and look great. I think they have even gotten a little stronger since they are better protected.

on 11/12/2011 4:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

First I would like to say I only use the foundation and top it off and curing UV light to make Gelish Sandwich manicures. (Sandwich regular nail polish in between gel layers) This at home gel system is amazing. With my "sandwich" technique I get 1.5-2 full weeks of chip free polish! I'm certain that if you use their gel polish you can get a full 3 weeks like they state on the website/display at Sally Beauty.

Up front it is a costly system. I puchased mine via Sally's online website with a discount code for the Gelish Basix kit and UV lamp for 80 bucks. Which is comparable to 2 salon no chip manicures. If you plan on using this frequently...totally worth your investment. I do my nails along with my sisters. My sister purchased her own gel polish so I can apply it for her, and she gets a good 2 to 2.5 weeks of wear.

There are a few tips I would recommend:
1. Buy a 36W UV lamp from Sally's or a reputable seller. The reviews on the mini light are horrible.
2. Foil soak off with 100% acetone, no reason to buy their remover. Followed by your favorite cuticle oil to moisturizer. Once again, no reason to buy their oil.
3. Cleanser...I recommend it, but Rubbing alcohol (highest strength you can get) works well per my sister.
4. PH Bond=nail dehydrator. Use their product or another, but I find this is an important step. I use ASP dehydrator/nail prep...a lot more product for the $$.
5. Thin coats are a must, otherwise you don't cure the product well.

As previous poster noted Sally's gel polish mini bottles are pricey. You can get Red Carpet manicure at Ulta for cheaper. Or purchase the larger gelish bottles on Amazon for the same price. (That's what my sister does)

As for my "sandwich" technique
1. Buff shine off nails
2. Dehydrate nails
3. Foundation and cure 1 minute
4. My regular polish, make sure to AIRDRY x 15 minutes (20 for opaque)
5. Top it off and cure 3 minutes.
6. Remove tackiness.

Highly recommended! :)

on 11/12/2011 9:22:00 AM

OMG - I am in love!!! I love having painted fingernails, but like a lot of women, I am so hard on my hails (LOVE babysbreath's description below) and as another mom w/ an additional full-time job outside the home = I hate having to re-do my manis every few days due to chipping/wear (even w/ Orly bonder, OPI polishes and Posche top coat).

Enter Gelish - got the starter kit at Sallys w/ coupon + on major sale = I think I spent under $20. I also invested in an LED light from a reputable ebay seller ($90) which allows me to cure 1 hand at a time and not have to cure thumbs separately in a fraction of the time a 36 W UV lamp would take. However, if anyone is interested in a BNIB 36W UV lamp, I do have one up for swap w/ pics (long story as to how I ended up w/ this)....

I have now done 7 or 8 manis w/ this system and WHOO HOO!! I get 14 days of looking like the day I polished + another few days w/ minor wear/growth = about 2.5 weeks total before I need to re-do.

I have substituted 100% acetone for the Gelish Soak Off Remover and 91% rubbing alcohol for the Gelish Cleanser - can't tell the difference in performance, only in my pocketbook :)

I have just 2 complaints:

(1). Gelish colors are expensive (IMO) = around $13 at Sallys for tiny bottles. Therefore, I have purchased some of the colors from the Red Carpet Manicure brand at Ulta = $9.99 before coupon = no difference in performance, again, just in pocketbook. :) And I have learned that I like the full color bottles of Red Carpet vs the small color stripe on the Gelish bottles if for no other reason than its so much quicker to choose a color when you can see more than just a teeny little tiny stripe that requires you actually read the color printed on the bottle. :)

(2). to get the opaque color of the darker polishes, I may have to switch to 3 coats as every time I do 2 coats, I am apparently applying too thick of coats = sometimes not curing properly, but I REALLY want the color in the bottle (or I would not have purchased that color to begin w/) and I just saw the reviewer who mentioned she does 3 coats, so my next mani = will do 3 coats and see how that goes.

I have not tried this system w/ any of my regular OPI polishes altho I have read it can be done successfully - since I have some OPI colors that I love, I may research that more and attempt down the road, but for now, am so very pleased w/ using the Gelish and Red Carpet colors.

NOTES:

(1) be aware - the application process (even w/ an LED) does take longer than a regular mani just because you MUST be careful and use THIN THIN layers of everything = about 40-45 minutes for both hands.

(2) also, the removal process = I have found that I must leave my nails wrapped in 100% acetone soaked cotton balls (helpful hint - secure cotton balls w/ blue painters tape NOT NOT NOT scotch tape as acetone will dissolve scotch tape = a mess to peel off) and then wrapped in tinfoil (I purchased a box of hair foils that pop out individually from a box at Sallys for cheap = I just cut each into a few smaller strips = this box will last me forever) for about 15-20 minutes. I will end up still scraping off some, but not much. Also, I find I can use the edge of my nail to scrape off any remainder polish is just as effective and easy on the nail as using an orange stick = now you have options.

UPDATE: LIGHTBULB!!! I was getting frustrated that I could only remove 1 hand's worth at at time and each time it was sitting around waiting the 15 - 20 min = 30-40 min total = too much time. Therefore, I continue to wrap 1 hand at a time, but then sit and put under blow dryer for a few minutes = cuts my time in half and makes the removing of leftover product easier!

HTH :)

I have good natural nails so have never had or needed artificial nails. I take good care of my nails but that also means I spend a lot of time on my nails. For this reason I always envied acrylic nail wearers as they never had to worry about their nail polish chipping.

I stopped wearing any sort of color on my nails years ago because my manicure needed to be touched up every couple of days. I started doing french manicures on myself as I could get by with chips more easily (not as noticeable) but still had to tend to my "paint job" every couple of days. And then I found Gelish Nail Polish...

I have had the same french manicure for over a week now and it looks like I JUST walked out of a nail salon! SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! And don't do it gently - slam that bad boy 'cause your manicure will be A-OKAY!

I will have to say that I was tentative when doing my nails the first time as I was nervous I'd screw them up.There was a bit of a learning curve for me as all the layers need to be VERY THIN and it took me awhile to get the hang of doing it properly.

My best advice is to make sure your cuticles and nail beds are in VERY GOOD shape before starting with the process. Also make sure you have everything you need to do the entire manicure before you start. Thin layers that do not travel outside of your nail is the trick; make sure you clean up any excess foundation, polish or top coat that traveled outside your nail onto your cuticles or skin BEFORE you cure the Top It Off polish. And MAKE SURE your light is in proper working order BEFORE you start painting. (Yes, I speak from experience:-( )

I will be curious to see if my nails stay as healthy as they are naturally with this product on them. In the meantime, I am very happy with this product and happy to give it a positive review. It does take more time when you do your manicure but once your finished, your nails are ready for anything. And spending the extra time once every 2 weeks or so will actually save you time in the long run.

I highly recommend the Gelish System to my natural nail beauties out there:)

on 11/8/2011 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Sadly, I am re-rating this product. I loved it at first, but after repeated use, it damaged my nails underneath. Starting at about the third application, the gel polish didn't stay on my nails nearly as long as it first did. I changed NOTHING about the application, and followed the instructions exactly. I would use this maybe for vacations or special events, but for everyday manicures I get better results using the Sally Hansen "Complete Salon Manicure" products.
.................................................................................................
This product is AMAZING!!! I used to have acrylic nails put on, not because I wanted the long nails, but because I couldn't keep polish on my natural nails. After having kids, I just gave up on nails.

I tried a light polish first. After 12 days, I soaked it off and tried the red. No chips, polish was still shiny. Except for the outgrowth, it looked as if it was just applied.

I spent about $75 on the starter kit and UV light (less than the price of 2 manicures done at a salon). I was able to do a full manicure in about an hour.

I did make some mistakes at first and will share those lessons: First, use THIN coats of the product. If you use too much, it will spread once it gets under the UV light. Second, spend the time to watch the instructional DVD that comes with the kit. There's some good tips in here that get you better results and help the manicure last longer.

I did get one small chip when I tried to scrape petrified malt o meal off my table with my thumbnail (my fault). I was able to touch up the chip in about 10 minutes. Unless you look really closely, you can't tell it's been touched up.

I will say the color #130 (You like me, you really like me) looks like a deep burgundy in the bottle. It turns out more of a true red. It's pretty, just not what the bottle looks like.

I will NEVER use regular nail polish again! This product is amazing. Here's why.

I'm someone who can't keep regular nail polish on. It's usually chipped or rubbed off within MINUTES of application. I also can't use base coats, top coats, or even more that one coat of polish as it NEVER dries. I'm not sure if I'm the only one with this problem but I've been looking for a solution for some time. I finally tried, skeptically though, Gelish.

I went to a salon first where the technician (whether she was aware of it or not) taught me how to do this on my own. When all was said and done I paid about $45 tip and taxes in. Way more than I would ever consider beyond a one shot deal! But it lasted and I needed to know if it would work for me. I was already impressed on the second day, let alone the 9th! My nails actually grew out without a chip or scratch to the polish. I'm certain I could have left it on even longer if I wanted to.

I immediately went to eBay. I couldn't wait to get all the goods to do it myself. I got a good UV lamp, base coat, 3 bottles of colour, and top coat. I went to my local Sally's (beauty supply store) and got a bottle of acetone and rubbing alcohol to clean and shine the nail when done.

My totally upfront investment about $140 (or in salon speak-3 manicures!)

I've been using this system for weeks now and I can't believe how fabulous this product is and how I ever lived without it.

If you are wondering if I'm babying my nails let me tell you what I do on a daily basis and NOTHING happens to them. I tell people it's like having a car paint job on your nails without damaging your nails.

- typing, all day, every day (and I use my nails when I type for the most part, not the soft part of my fingers)
- making jewelry (where I stick my nail into a double jump ring to separate it, working with wire, separating links on chains-with my nails!)
- some of my jewelry involves spray glue and matte coating brushed onto objects that ends up all over my fingers and nails, I just wash and scrub it off-the nails are 100% in tack!
- handy-woman work around the house (hammering, caulking, cleaning, raking leaves, etc.)
- 2 weeks ago I helped install 2 windows!
- dishes, including scraping things off with my nails
- and tons of other stuff

Seriously, I'm still waiting to find out what will finally damage this awesome product!

I did my daughter's nails 1 week ago (she has the same stay power problems that I do with regular polish). She honestly can't believe how great they still look. The added bonus, she's a nail biter but doesn't with the Gelish. Now her nails can grow.

Hallelujah to this gift called Gelish! I'm officially converted and looking to bring others into the fold.

on 9/18/2011 5:12:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I'm a physician so I don't normally wear polish at work since my hands are constantly in water. Chipped polish is so unprofessional! I first had Gelish put on my nails professionally about a year ago. It stayed on for 11 days w/ no chips. Even after scrubbing for surgery the polish would not chip. I was impressed! I decided to order the top coat, base and a few colors from Amazon. Sally charges the same price for half the amount and has only 12 colors while Amazon has most of the 72 colors available. I also bought the LED light instead of UV-- much faster. Didn't bother w/ the pH bond or cleanser -- it's just isopropyl alcohol ( use 90 % concentration). Love queen of hearts (dk. red w/ shimmer-- think holiday), plum & done, hot rod red ( a true creme red), gossip girl( creme hot med. pink, nice not barbie like!),black cherry
(creme dark red-brown),and tiger blossom (dupe for OPI's big hair big nails). Soaking off is easy as long as you use 100% acetone and a little patience! I usually soak my nails for 12-15 mins. I love the fact I can do this at home where I'm much more comfortable than any salon and have better wine!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

This stuff is amazing! Yes, it takes awhile to soak off, but my french manicure that I did myself is going on three weeks, no chips or scratches - no matter what work I'm doing. Love this!

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This stuff is TERRIBLE for your nails! I got a UV light, several bottles of Gelish and tried it myself. First of all, it NEVER lasted more than a week, tops. I had to try and add polish to extend the life of the polish but finally had to take it off. I soaked, and soaked and SOAKED my nails and ultimately had to scrap the crap off. And, that's the problem. I also lost the top layer of my nails. I tried Gelish several times and it is VERY time consuming. I have a life, I don't have a couple hours EVERY WEEK to do nails. I finally threw it all away. Now my nails are weak and breaking off - I have no idea how long it will take them to get healthy again. I cannot believe all the good reviews here - this stuff is expensive and VERY hard on your nails.

I have been a nail addict since thebeginning of time and no matter how great I did my nails/friends/family for years at home as a hobby I was always annoyed that regular polish/even the best of topcoats jsut dont last or wear as long as I wanted. I have always had really strong naisl to begin with and anytime I would get acrylics on they woudl ask me why in teh world I needed them wihen my naisl were in good shape lol. Well the answer simply was I jsut wanted polish to last longer and acrylics were the only way I could get that. However time after time of getting them off after jsut a holiday or birthday it would take me a month to get my nails back to health and grow out the ridges. I swore off acrylics and had jsut been doing my nails at home per usual. I was more tha excited when Gel polishes came out a while back as finally exactly what I had always wanted, something that you could use over your natural nails, that would set hard as rock and give you the polish where you would get if you had acrylics on. Gelish is definitely by far the ebst system out there for gel nails and lov teh color selection. I finally got tons of colors/the starter kit from Sallys/ a uv lamp a month ago and am in LOVE with this system. My nails look jsut as nice as when I did them with regular polish however that day 1 prefect look from regular polish now lasts atleast 2 weeks with the Gelish Mani in flawless perfect manicure and incredible shine/hard as rock smooth that never fails. Wish this had come out a decade ago. As much as I liked this when I got a rockstar gel pedi (done with glitter) at the salon) I would have never kept paying the outrageous prices they charge and now with a small investment in teh system at home I can do endless manis and ofcoruse have all my friends hooked lol. The ONLY problem I have is I now feel soo guilty in that I dont use my huge stash of regular polish that I collected for years. Dont get me wrong I ahve read people using regulr polish in between teh foundation and gelish topcoat but I jsut dont hav ethe time to wait that long as the polish has to dry completely on its own. So in the meantime I am sticking with about the 10 Gelish colors I have and tying to resist the urge from ordering more online daily. Just picked up the new Aurora shimmer shades at Sallys which are gorgeous over any gelish color. Yet again another addiction, good for me bad for my wallet!! :p

Popular Polishes