Hand & Nail Harmony Gelish Gel Polish

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
 Hand & Nail Harmony Gelish Gel Polish

4.6

I have been a nail addict since thebeginning of time and no matter how great I did my nails/friends/family for years at home as a hobby I was always annoyed that regular polish/even the best of topcoats jsut dont last or wear as long as I wanted. I have always had really strong naisl to begin with and anytime I would get acrylics on they woudl ask me why in teh world I needed them wihen my naisl were in good shape lol. Well the answer simply was I jsut wanted polish to last longer and acrylics were the only way I could get that. However time after time of getting them off after jsut a holiday or birthday it would take me a month to get my nails back to health and grow out the ridges. I swore off acrylics and had jsut been doing my nails at home per usual. I was more tha excited when Gel polishes came out a while back as finally exactly what I had always wanted, something that you could use over your natural nails, that would set hard as rock and give you the polish where you would get if you had acrylics on. Gelish is definitely by far the ebst system out there for gel nails and lov teh color selection. I finally got tons of colors/the starter kit from Sallys/ a uv lamp a month ago and am in LOVE with this system. My nails look jsut as nice as when I did them with regular polish however that day 1 prefect look from regular polish now lasts atleast 2 weeks with the Gelish Mani in flawless perfect manicure and incredible shine/hard as rock smooth that never fails. Wish this had come out a decade ago. As much as I liked this when I got a rockstar gel pedi (done with glitter) at the salon) I would have never kept paying the outrageous prices they charge and now with a small investment in teh system at home I can do endless manis and ofcoruse have all my friends hooked lol. The ONLY problem I have is I now feel soo guilty in that I dont use my huge stash of regular polish that I collected for years. Dont get me wrong I ahve read people using regulr polish in between teh foundation and gelish topcoat but I jsut dont hav ethe time to wait that long as the polish has to dry completely on its own. So in the meantime I am sticking with about the 10 Gelish colors I have and tying to resist the urge from ordering more online daily. Just picked up the new Aurora shimmer shades at Sallys which are gorgeous over any gelish color. Yet again another addiction, good for me bad for my wallet!! :p

on 9/1/2011 4:34:00 PM

This review is for Gelish "do it yourself" as I am too cheap (and fickle) to have this done at a salon. Besides, from reading the other reviews here it seems like the salons don't remove the product properly and wreck their clients' nails.

I've had the system for just over a month and I absolutely LOVE it! My nails are finally growing out and the shine the top coat gives in incredible. I was obsessed with getting the application right so I did it from start to finish one or two days apart when I first got the system. Each time, I soaked the nails off using the foil method with acetone and all of it came off without any scraping or damage to my nail. The only thing I did the first time was just barely remove the shine off my nails with a buffer. I actually don't think you really need to do that. I followed all the steps as per the DVD that came with the mini starter kit including two coats of clear Gelish polish. The really great thing is that I can put polish on top of the Gelish and take it off with non-acetone remover and the Gelish is left completely intact.

The only tricky part is realizing that the foundation coat in particular can really run into the cuticle so you have to really make sure you put on thin layers and keep it away from the edges of the nails as it will level into those areas a little bit on it's own. Apparently, running a cuticle stick along the edges can also clean it up but I prefer not to even have to do that. On the third try I had it mastered and I have beautifully smooth and even edges.

The only thing I didn't like about the system was the mini light. It's just not great and you can't get replacement bulbs so I exchanged it for a more serious light.

If you like painting your nails and can handle experimenting until you get it right, you should give this a try for sure.

I should add that I even used some of my own regular polish between the foundation and top coat and it worked really well but it was just a little more difficult to remove all the layers.

Great product.....HG for me.

I got a manicure with this at a nail salon. I really liked it my flimsy nail felt stronger. SInce it is pretty pricy to go to the salon I did my own research on gel nails and found something cheaper and just as good. I'm still new to the system but I'm sure I can get it to work with time. Asp Lightless Gel kit. The kit is like $20, but u can get the gel and the cure seperate for like 7 to 9 bucks a piece. the extra u need is the acetone, a nail brush, and a glass container for the acetone. the application is a bit messy since you have to apply the gel from a squeezy bottle, but that's where u use the nail brush to evenly dispurse the gel. between each applicaion dip the bruch in acetone. On each layer u use the spray cure give it a few seconds and it hardens. YOU DON'T NEED THE LIGHT TO CURE THE GEL!

the only problem, maybe cuz I'm new to the system and longer nails i mess with them and they crack. but I add a little layer and spray and it's like new. Removal is just like the Gelish with the acetone, and the cotton soak. there's a few videos on Youtube that give really good instructions.

I just had my nails done with a "gelish" manicure over this past weekend. My friends had been raving about this so I figured it was time to try it myself. I should say that I never get fake nails and that I always keep my nails bare or done with clear because the chipping makes me crazy. My natural nails are fairly strong but have become weak lately becuase I wash my hands so much (a curse of new moms!)
The process took a while to do but I guess it wasn't much longer than a normal manicure. The results are fabulous; Shiny pretty nails done in a dark pink I would never normally dare because of the chip factor. I love the fact that there is nothing about these that look "fake" as I really don't care for fake nails. My nails feel strong and they will continue to grow so this will actually allow me to achieve some length. I am on my 5th day of the polish and no chips so far! After not having the time to maintain my nails since my son was born, I am just so tickled to have pretty nails again! My salon charged $30 which was a bit pricey but I'm willing to pony it up for a while. If I decide I am truly in love with Gelish I may buy an at-home kit but I will worry about that later.
In a word: LOVE!

on 8/6/2011 7:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Absolutely amazing! I dont know what I did without this! Yes, it takes longer than a regular manicure (probably about 40 minutes all together), but the results are so worth it. Shiny, chip free nails for around 2 weeks! The initial investment is kind of pricey, I believe I spent about $120 on the UV lamp, foundation, 4 colors and top coat, but I will probably get around a year or more worth of manicures out of this. And considering a gel manicure costs around $40 at my local salon, with just 3 manicures I've already made up what I paid! I really like and recommend gelish if you are like me and like your nails to look nice, but dont have the time to constantly re-polish them when they chip. I will continue purchasing gelish and other brands of SOG nail polish.

on 8/4/2011 6:18:00 PM

I was introduced to the concept of gel polish at my nail salon. I was easily able to get two weeks of wear out of a gel manicure when going and absolutely loved the concept and results. I LOVED that my nails would grow and the gel gave just enough strength so they wouldn't break, that the manicure would last for two weeks and that it didn't damage my nails.

What I didn't like is the price. While definitely cheaper than acrylics and fill ins, my salon charges $25 for a color gel manicure and $30 for a french gel manicure. Because of the cost, I began looking into alternatives and ended up deciding to use Gelish brand gel polish because I had good results with the brand and manicure from the salon.

I bought an ASP Professional Multi-Purpose UV Lamp from Sally's. With my Sally's card it was right at $63. I also bought the Gelish Foundation, 2 nail colors and the Top Coat. The Gelish products were on sale but my initial investment was $116 for everything. I figure I use the products 4 to 5 times and I've paid for it in what I would spend on the salon doing it.

I think the system is VERY easy to use. I had my own bonder which I used first after trimming my cuticles and shaping my nails. I then used a thin coat of Foundation, cured my nails, did two coats of nail color (curing between coats), Top Coat, curing and then "cleansing" (Gelish has a nail "cleanser" that you're supposed to use at the end but the SA at Sally's said just to use alcohol so that's what I did and it worked just fine). After doing my nails, I then did my daughter's nails; both with great results. I figure even if mine doesn't last 21 days like the product says, anything over about 10 with no chips or peels is good for me! Anything over that is definitely a bonus.

The end results on both of our nails is great. They are strong, smooth and shiny. I am definitely pleased.

The only things I think I will do different for my next manicure is to 1) actually get the Gelish PH Bonder because I don't quite care for the one I have, 2) get orange sticks to help clean color from around my nails since using my fingernail to do this doesn't work the best, 3) definitely get lint free wipes and 4) get other colors!!!!!

So the bottom line? I definitely recommend either getting gel manicures done at your salon OR, if you're ok with a little investment up front and not scared to do your own nails, DEFINITELY recommend doing this yourself and saving yourself some money and time!!

on 7/19/2011 3:41:00 PM

I've only had one experience with Gelish, and perhaps it was an uncharacteristically bad one, but I'm not impressed.

I had Gelish done at a salon 10 days ago. Since it was my first time, I have no idea if the tech did it properly, but it looked very involved and was time-consuming. It involved various bottles of primers and top coats in addition to the gel color, plus numerous curings under the UV light. I have to say my nails looked good when I left the salon.

They only looked good for a couple of days. By the third day, the polish was peeling away from the bases of my nails around the cuticles. (Picture above.) Luckily, I got a pale pink color that's almost the exact color of my nailbeds, so it wasn't very noticeable, but that still irked me after the price upgrade I paid for this.

After a week, my nails looked as bad as or worse than they would have if I'd done my own manicure at home with standard polish. I had huge gaps of missing polish that had peeled off around my cuticles (not just the expected nail growth). Again, I'm thankful I chose a light color, because this would look excruciatingly bad if it had been a bold color.

I will say that no polish chipped off the tips of my nails, the polish remained beautifully shiny throughout, and this stuff seems to really strengthen my nails. It might be worth it to you if you're in it for the strengthening and you choose a non-obvious color.

In all fairness, I don't think my nails looked as bad to other people as they did to meóno on else examines them that closely. But if a manicure only lasts a couple of days, it's just not worth the extra time and cost to me.

UPDATE 7/25/11: I'm taking this down to 2 stars. I finally got what was left of this crap removed at the salon after approximately two weeks of wear. If you're unfamiliar, this polish does NOT come off with standard polish remover. It's more akin to removing acrylic nails.

First I had to soak my nails in pure acetone for about 20 minutes. This seemed to soften up the gel but didn't remove it all. What was left, the tech SCRAPED off my natural nails using a coarse-grain emery board. As you might imagine, this took about half the thickness of my natural nails along with it.

I am so disappointed that I let someone sell me into paying more for a manicure that didn't last, looked ugly, and basically ruined my natural nails until they grow out. It will take months before my nails are back to normal.

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I have embarked on the badwagon of the DIY gel nails. After having the service done every 2 weeks in a nail salon, I finally decided to bite the bullet and splurge.

I love my gel nails, I have soft brittle thin nails. I have worn acrylics for 10+ years and I will never go back. A regular nail polish mani lasts 2 days for me....with the Gelish I get at least 2 weeks. After 2 weeks there may be a little lifting and a lot of growth from the line of demarcation. The growth line drives me nuts, but easy to redo. I am a regular at the nail salon and feel the supplies are worth the investment.

I went to the local vietanemese nail supply store and picked up the soak off base gel (foundation gel) $22, the Soak off Sealer (top it off) $19. I also picked up my favorite pinks, High Bridge and Go Girl ($17 each). I got the Entity nail prep ($4) because they were out of the Harmony Ph balancer. They said it would work just as good. They also said I could try it with my OPI bond aid. I have very oily nail beds, so this step is important to me. I will do this before I lay the foundation gel.

I went to Sally and picked up some orange wood sticks and lit free nail wipes and some posh cuticle cream. It was about $20 for all of those.

I also got a 36 watt uv nail lamp at the nail supply for around $65. I will practice my application with the Gelish and then get some OPI Axxium colors. These look like they take a steady hand to apply. There are some OPI colors I can't give up.

I know the process will work great as I am confident from doing my own acrylics for about 2 years. The results will be well worth it.

I certainty have been enjoying wearing them fresh from the salon. Let me tell you from experience, the Harmony Gelish LED light cures super fast but it is very $$$$. However, if I really like doing it myself I may take the splurge.

I hope this review was helpful. If you are thinking about having the gel nails done they are great. I can't say enough good things about them. However, the nail ladies to tend to buff my nails. This does not require a lot of buffing. I am happy that I will be able to control this. It makes the whole thing worthwhile for me.

I will be stocking up on more colors soon. They have some great deals on Amazon. I have been reading the Jessica Gelerations work good with the Harmony base and top coats. I have had that done in a service before. I find the Harmony lasts a little better for me than the Jessica gels. The Jessica gels tend to peel at the tips after about a week and a half. However, it's still so much longer lasting than a regular mani! I will also be expanding with Jessica colors for this DIY method too.

Update:
I did my first Gelish manicure with June Bride. I knew the glitters would be more forgiving if I messed up. I didn't mess up. This is easier to do than I thought. My best advice is to keep the coats thin.

I will be adding more colors to my gel stash soon.

on 4/12/2011 10:57:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Update: Bought my own supplies, and it is bordering on addiction. So easy to do yourself (and it has lasted even longer than when i have had it done at a salon).

Original Review: I love this! Literally, my last pedi lasted almost two months without any chips (just growth line next to cuticle). It doesn't seem that complicated to apply, either, especially for the results you get - shiny, never dull, extremely long wear. Thinking of investing in the supplies to do it myself.

on 3/29/2011 12:03:00 AM

I haven't actually bought the polishes, but I've had my manicure for over a week, it it si still in pristine shape. I'm really hard on my nails, and by a week I typically need to do a polish change. This is great stuff.

My nails are normal brittle, and break easily, and it still looks like I just got a mani!

My only complaint is the price. I realize this is a specialty product, but 35 dollars for a mani is so expensive, that I don't know if I'll be going back the same place.

I'm hoping to find place that only charges $20, so I can have them regularly done.

Popular Polishes