MAKE UP FOR EVER Rouge Artist Intense #40

MAKE UP FOR EVER Rouge Artist Intense #40
Rouge Artist Intense #40Rouge Artist Intense #40

4.4

on 1/12/2011 11:39:00 PM

This color, described on Sephora's website as "satin bright orange" is pretty accurate. Sitting in the tube on the shelf the lipstick looks noticeably tangerine in a sea of otherwise standard reds, pinks, and burgundies.

Bright orange as a lip color sounds heinous to a lot of people. But let me tell you, this is magic. Quite simply, #40 when layered with hot pink gloss on top is fiiiiiiiiiiiyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaah!

I work at Sephora and every time I wear this combination WITHOUT FAIL clients beg me to tell them what I have on. Many of them are surprised to find out it's orange and not in fact red, but that doesn't deter them from RUNNING to the Make Up Forever gondola to try it on themselves!

I may get a discount for being an employee but that doesn't stop me from being El Cheapo. $19 is expensive, but when you compare it to other lipsticks Sephora carries, it's actually on the lower end of the scale.

A few qualities that make the price tag justifiable;
-the amount of pigment is awesome. I only need to put it on once and go! No layering, no half-assing.
-the staying power is phenomenal. Obviously lipstick will always look better with a touch up after eating or drinking, but if I'm in a rush I don't even bother and it still looks neat and bright
-a little drying, but no where near as drying as other lipsticks (looking at you, MAC) and when you consider the pigment and longevity, it's totally doable
-the color: not many lines carry bright orange!

Some things to consider:
-I recommend using a lip liner with this product, otherwise after a few hours it will creep into every fine line you didn't know you had!
-MUFE packaging is not sexy :(
-in a perfect world this would hydrate like lip balm while retaining all the positive qualities, but I guess that's asking for too much
-I have warm/yellow/olive undertones and although I can get quite dark with sun exposure, I am fairly light these days (usually around the lightest or second lightest warm foundation shade in a line)

Because I was dying to create an orange lip this summer, I searched for long and hard for a nice true orange. This is an honest to goddess orange and an excellent choice. There is no red to it at all.

I absolutely love this lipstick for a variety of reasons. The consistency is quite creamy and comfortable to wear. I'm a dry person in general and don't find that this dries my lips at all really. There isn't much of a sent to the lipstick unless you hold it right up to your nose, which is a major plus in my book. It also doesn't taste bad (like Urban Decay lipsticks). The quality is just really nice in general and has made me want to try other Make Up For Ever products.

My favorite feature of this product is interesting to me: this is a very buildable lipstick that provides a multitude of different color intensities - not something I really expect in a lipstick. For instance, you could dab onto the lips and then press with your finger for a stain effect. Or, you can achieve a sheer effect by applying one coat alone with a lip brush, which gives you sort of a Rouge Coco Shine type feel. Or, you can also create a more intense lip by doing several coats with a lip brush or just doing several coats straight from the tube. Originally, I thought I was going to need to buy several different orange lip products so that I could have either a sheen look or dark look; but I've been able to achieve both of these effects with one product, which I am super stoked about.

I am not generally a lip liner type of person. However, I would recommend a lip liner for this lipstick. You also might as well go ahead and by the Make Up For Ever lip liner in bright orange because I have searched high and low for a cheap drugstore orange and have yet to find one. I haven't found another orange lipstick like this and I think this is why Make Up For Ever is the only one who carries the matching lip liner. If you want an intense neon like orange lip you will need the lip liner for sure. The color is buildable as I said before, but it does only go to a certain intensity.

My only real complaint about this product relates to the requirement of the lip liner. I do not find that lipstick bleeds on my lips. However, this lipstick does bleed on the bottom. Again, I think this would be totally solvable with the lip liner. I also find that this is not terribly long lasting (not a real problem for me, as I LOVE to put on my lipstick, but still thought you should know) but again fixable with the lip liner.

In summary, I totally dig this truly orange lipstick and now really want to try out other Make Up For Ever products as I was so impressed with the quality. Quality is excellent for the price. It only gets 4 stars because nothing is a Chanel Rouge Coco except for a Chanel Rouge Coco. l

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

$19 for a tube of lipstick that you most likely won't be wearing on a daily or regular basis may seem too much, but when you consider its pigmentation, longevity and comfortable wear, the price can easily be overlooked. The MUFE Rouge Artist Intense Lipstick line is one of my favorite lipsticks and this particular shade beats all my other lipsticks.

The pigmentation is just phenomenal. One swipe and I'm good to go. It lasts 6hours on my lips and survives meals and drinks. It feels comfortable on my lips. I've severely dry lips and this doesn't aggravate it. What else can I ask for?

I searched everywhere for a TRUE orange (not orange red like nars heat wave or Mac lady danger) that doesn't require canceling out the color of my mouth with foundation before applying until I found this one :). MUFE #40 is a bright, pigmented medium orange that reads on the lips as a true tangerine. It has a super smooth satin texture and isn't drying at all, it bleeds a little without a liner but it's not bad at all especially if you apply it lightly and blend with your fingers. A bright orange lip liner is hard to find so I use a cool nude lip liner and that keeps it in place and doesn't interfere with the orange color. The packaging isn't fancy and the smell is very "expensive lipstick" but isn't particularly fun. This is super easy to slide on and go bc of its satin texture and it freshens up my whole face (I'm very pale). This lipstick with minimal eye makeup and clean fresh skin is a great everyday fashion look. I'd call it a must have for sure!

on 4/22/2013 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This lipstick is a fiery shade of orange... which is lovely, but boy, does this bad boy feather and settle into lip lines! If you don't have a bright lipliner to match this, skip it. However, if you're a touch-up girl throughout the day, you should consider getting it. It's an orange color like no other.

I suggest exfoliating and moisturizing your lips prior to your face make-up application, followed by lining your lips and applying this for staying power.

I probably wouldn't buy this again, only because I have to constantly worry about the feathering and awkward product chunking on my lips. But then again, I am a worry wart.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This product is absolutly fabulous! The bright orange lip was very in Spring/Summer 2010 and followed into Autumn and Winter. This is the exact orange you see on the runways and is a must for any fashionista. I always get stopped when wearing this lip. Must try!!!

I bought this lipstick because I was rummaging through the drug store brands to find a nice coral lipstick that was more orange than pink and couldn't find one anywhere that had high pigmentation like this one!
But what I find difficult to process is that it's 22$ in Canada + taxes = 24$
and it doesn't even stay! Less than two hours later, I notice the colour fading. Without even eating or anything! It's very dissapointing. And it also dries out my lips :(
Nonetheless, it's worth it for the absolutely stunning colour and the packaging is pretty sturdy. You can dab it on to create a cute coral lip or go full on with an orange pout! Lovely:)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I love this lipstick so much. It's rich, highly pigmented, and the colour is amazing. It's a little on the creamier side than what I usually prefer, but the texture feels so smooth. It goes on really nicely and I've gotten a ton of compliments on the colour (I have fair skin so it definitely pops). Even though I wouldn't call it 'long-lasting', because of how saturated the colour is, you don't need to put much on when reapplying. It has a nice taste and smell to it as well, kind of like vanilla.

In terms of applying it, the texture means you may have to buff your lips off if they're dry (a problem I've experienced in winter), but otherwise it's perfect.

The only issue I had was with the packaging. Because I was carrying it around in my pocket frequently (and probably dropped it a few times tbh), the inner tube with the lipstick in it became dislodged from the outer casing. It was still possible to use, just a little annoying, and this didn't happen until probably 18 months after I bought it. Regardless of that, it lasts forever, and I'll definitely purchase it again when I run out!

on 7/12/2014 1:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I bought this shade today. The true orange color drew me in and I knew I had to have this. I tried it on a few hours later and hated it.

It balled up and sunk into my lip lines. It was overly bright and looked crazy on my NC50 skin. I was all set to return it.

BUT, I was determined to make this shade work.

My mistake the first time was applying it straight from the tube with no lip liner and no lip preparation. So I figured out I needed to do some prep work.

Here's what I did:
1) I scrubbed my lips with baking soda.
2) I applied a small amount of Rosebud Salve and blended the excess away
3) I lightly lined and filled in my lips with MAC Chestnut liner
4) I applied this color with my FINGER, building up the color.

As a result, this shade looks fantastic against my skin! There is also no feathering and minimal sinking into lip lines. By adding Chestnut liner and applying with my finger, this orange shade lives up to its true potential without making me look clownish.

Speaking of the color, it reads as a true orange on my pigmented lips, not coral, not pale, just orange.

Since it is so pigmented, you don't need to pile it on. It does have an old school lipstick scent that I don't particularly care for, but I can deal with it. The satin texture glides on and it cost $20.

With the proper lip preparation, this shade is perfect for most skintones.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The shade I got is actually #42 or as company's website suggests "Satin Vermilion Red".
Formula & Texture: feel and texture of this lipstick very much reminds me of the Rouge Dior lipsticks, which is one of my favorites. Artist Intense applies quite smooth and effortless on the lips. It is not too-buttery, but is quite nourishing and moisturizing. This product didn't slide around like crazy, so I believe you can easily pull this one off skipping the lip liner.

Color & Finish: #42 is a true classic red and looks very flattering against my NC30 skin tone. I actually gave it to my mom who is couple of shades darker and she loved it as well.

I actually wrote an entire blog post about this product, you can easily check it through the link below: