Sally Hansen salon effects

Sally Hansen salon effects

3.6

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Everyone was gushing about how awesome these were so I went to my local drugstore to pick them up. They cost $10.99CAD which I thought was pretty pricey, but still if everyone loved them so much it should be worth giving it a try. WRONG! I took me about an hour to get these on and i just finished doing my nails and not so long after one of my nails has already peeled off! I'm extremely irritated. I'll just stick to good ol' nail polish for future manicures..

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I really wanted to like these after hearing so much hype about them. There were many cute designs that caught my eye but I only picked up "Laced Up" to try out. They are pretty pricey retailing for AU$14.95 for a pack and I don't think they're worth it. Some of the strips didn't fit my nails and trimming them down would lead to ripping and jagged edges. Some also didn't stick to my nail and required a lot of rubbing. Those that did stick eventually started peeling from the cuticle and got caught in my hair whenever I showered and ended up getting ripped off.
Worst of all, removing them is a nightmare! I must have used a third of a bottle of nail polish remover and a bunch of cotton balls to remove them and still had black flakey residue on my fingers.
Great concept, cute designs but just a hassle to work with in my opinion. I'm sticking to regular nail polish and I'll probably use these on one nail as accents in the future.

on 6/18/2012 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had been wanting to try these for a while. I work as a manager of a fashionable retail store so my nails chip rather easily. I usually paint my nails every other day due to chipping. I really don't have the time to paint my nails so frequently although I always need to look top notch for work. I am a really DIY sort of person and I hate nail salons so I thought I would give these a try finally when I found a design from Valentines on sale for $3.

I really wasn't the biggest fan of the design but I followed the directions and found the polish stayed on very well. One thing I wasn't a fan of was that it left a very matte look. I put a top coat on which helped the end result. Even with not liking the design I dedicated myself to give the strips a fair run. I wore this design for a full five days without any chipping, I was very impressed.

I then bought a color I actually liked. I figured the nails without a design might have more of a shiny look so I went for 610 Wishful Pinking. I followed the directions again using only one sealed package and cutting them in half like others have suggested. They turned out gorgeous! Really amazing color and great shine. I covered them with a top coat of Mega Shine and went to work the next day. But of course they chipped! Only both middle fingers for some reason. I want to mention that they chipped earlier in the day and I later went out to a movie and some drinks and came home and sealed the two fingers again with more Mega Shine and they were fine. I thought the whole nail may chip from not sealing them sooner. Today is my second day with the Wishful Pinking without anymore chipping. I think the issue is that the plain colors as opposed to the designs are much thinner which leads to the chipping. From now on I will use a good amount of top coat.

I will be buying these again. Even with the chipping I think the end result is very pretty and professional looking and for sure lasts better than normal polish for me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

These are a mixed bag, but I continue to buy them.

Pros:

-Last forever without chipping.
-"Cool" designs.
-Quick and easy to apply with no dry time (I have 4 kids so no dry time is huge for me!)
-Can do two people at once as long as you don't have dragon nails.

Cons:

-So hard to remove. You have to soak your nails in remover which is no bueno.
-Need some "classy" designs. A lot of them are punk or silly.
-Requires some practice to apply.
-Everyone will stop you to talk about them, which gets annoying.

Tips:

-Buff nails, esp. at the base. If you have any ridges near the base, the stickers won't adhere there and will catch your hair, etc.
-Really press down at the base and edges with the orange stick.
-Really do a final swipe with nail polish remover just before applying. A dot of grease will prevent adhering.
-Get a friend and use 1 pack for both of you. They are way too long and they give you 16 strips, so if you file off the excess carefully, you can get 20 nails out of 1 pack of 16 strips.
-Get a nail polish remover jar with the sponge inside to remove them.
-Apply regular top coat every other day to keep them looking nice.

on 6/11/2012 9:06:00 PM

Much thicker than Avon's instant manicure, which is no longer made, so application is much more difficult. A lot of rubbing was necessary for it to adhere. Taking them off needed a lot of rubbing with nail polish remover. I used them for my toes, and the widest strip was not wide enough. On my second try, it was better. I got florescent yellow and pink.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

These stink. They chip, they look cheap on my nails...you can TELL they're fake. And that's NOT the goal. People will say "Oh they're SO CUTE!" Trust me. They are trying to not hurt your feelings.

on 5/29/2012 6:38:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really want to love these but I just can't love them for the price and how quickly they chip. I suppose for a special occassion they would suffice but, working in retail 5 days a week these didnt stand a chance. I also feel they're a pain to apply, even being extremely careful mine were ripping. I wish I could love these, such a great idea but they're just not for me.

To me, these really are worth the money. I always wait until they are buy one get one half off at cvs. Sometimes I use a coupon. Sometimes the seasonal ones will go on sale even if they aren't blatantly Eastery or something (i.e. pink polka dots for the Easter collection). The way these are packaged there are six (maybe seven?) strips sealed up together and another six or seven sealed up separately. This is key because most people will only need five strips at a time. The strips are so long that unless you keep your nails very long you can easily cut these in half. That means you can keep the other sealed up for another time! This is good because these are "real nail polish" so once they are unsealed they will dry out.

Another reason they are worth the money is they last SO long. I usually get little chips on the tips after a week and a half of wear but will leave them on up to three weeks (I get bored so I eventually must remove them). I do use a top coat after applying and sometimes apply again the next week if I want it to keep lasting.

Application is tough, especially the first time. The first color I used was "frock star", which is the multicolored glitter and I found this to be easier to apply than the others because the glitter made the strips stiffer and easier to manage. That might be good for first-timers. The other two colors I've used were more floppy and stubborn BUT were more easily stretched to fit the nail. Application definitely takes some practice but the third time I did it took about half the time.

Removal of these is tough, especially the glitter one. I would suggest the foil technique or getting one of those nail polish remover "jars" with the spongy thing inside so your nails can soak for a while. The glitter one took about three times longer to remove than the printed ones.

I get endless compliments when I wear these. Having such a professional-looking and unique look that lasts so long is worth the higher price and the extra time. Get these on sale (maaaybe even a coupon?) and get two manicures per box and the cost really isn't bad. If you have a dexterous friend who wouldn't mind helping, using two hands would surely be easier but it really is doable, just don't rush!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I decided to give these a shot since I suck at applying traditional nail polish. Apparently, I suck at applying these too. I found the nail stickers to be awkward to apply and despite having a variety of sizes, none of them fit my nails properly. They looked like I had applied cheap bandaids over my nails.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I've tried three different 'shades' in the Salon Effects line, and I have to say I really like them! They're easy to apply and last until I take them off. The first ones I tried, I literally wore for two weeks, and I only took it off because I got bored with it. I'm not easy with my nails either. My job requires that I wash my hands multiple times a day with anti-bacterial soap and use sanitizer, so my manicures usually don't last. The one downside I can think of is that it's about $10/pop for these babies. and while it's totally worth it if you need your polish to last and last (like going on vacation or something), I can't justify spending that kind of money every time I do my nails. I can spend even $8 on Essie or OPI and get countless manis out of one bottle, so these are a once in awhile treat for me.

Popular Polishes