Sally Hansen salon effects

Sally Hansen salon effects

3.6

on 8/8/2012 2:13:00 PM

I really, really wanted to love these, but I just can't. I had been eyeing these for ages, but was turned off by the fact that these are about $10 for a one-time use product. I finally caved when these were on sale and bought the design Girl Flower, which is a really fun, bright flowery pattern. I was considering using these just on accent nails to get more use out of these, but then I read that these dry out after opening the pack. So I applied 1 pack (8 strips) to my nails and just painted the leftover two. (Which bugs me...why not just put 10 strips each pack? If you want to do all your nails, you need to open both packs and then toss about 6 strips.)
I followed the directions perfectly, and these were such a pain to apply! You have to prep your nails, peel off the plastic coating of each strip, peel the actual nail polish off, apply, hold, etc, etc. This took me so much longer than just painting my nails would have. Especially the part where you are supposed to file off the excess. I tried so hard to get these to file off, but they wouldn't budge. So, I had to use nail clippers to clip them off, and then they stuck to the clippers, and I had to peel that off...Seriously, these are a pain.
The icing on the cake is that these things don't even last on the nails! I applied a top coat, and less than 24 hours later I had serious lifting, peeling, and chipping. I could only go 3 days before these looked so bad I had to just take them off, which also takes forever.
All whining aside, these are really cute and they look nice before they start peeling and chipping. I just wish these weren't so hard to apply and remove! I MIGHT buy these again for a special event or something, but I think for the price and the trouble, these really aren't worth it.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I have really mixed feelings on these. I bought them with the intention of using them just on my toes, because I thought they wouldn't last long on my fingers. I ended up putting them on both my fingers and toes because I had so many strips !(and I STILL have half the package left over, still sealed) I was very pleasantly surprised by how long these lasted on me. I usually only get 2 or 3 days max out of a manicure, because my job is really hard on my hands. I wore these for a full week, with only minor tip wear. I was amazed! I think they would have lasted longer, but I needed a change. ;) I did put one coat of Poshe on the first day, and used the regular OPI top coat on day 2. This kept them perfect! I didn't really find them difficult to apply, but they were time consuming. I think with practice it would get faster. The part I really hate about these strips is the removal. I bought the pink strips with the black stripes. (I forgot the name) When I removed them with acetone, the pink part came off easily, but the black part was HORRIBLE to get off. I tried both scrubbing with acetone and the foil method. The black disintegrates on the nails, but sticks all over your hands in tiny pieces that are almost impossible to get off. I used a scrub and a nail brush on my hands twice, after 2 rounds of polish remover and there are still black specks on my hands! Yuck, a real pain. I probably would try these again for a special occasion or something, but not for routine use, and I'd be careful to pick a pattern without a lot of black. ;)

on 7/24/2012 11:24:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I opted for Bluscious which is a solid metallic blush color. I thought the color itself was unique & pretty. My main problem with these is that they aren't wide enough for my nails, so I have gaps on the sides. This surprised me since I actually have small fingers/nails, but my nails have quite a bit of curve to them. The curve must be so great that these don't fully cover the sides. Also, I neglected to add a top coat and a day and a half later by thumb nail chipped.
Overall, these didn't work for me. Regular polish is the way to go for solids. Still a cute option for teens who want fun designs.

on 7/23/2012 12:46:00 PM

You have to have clean nails. Prep surface with remover or alcohol. Once these suckers are on, they stay on. I moved with them. Boxes, construction, the works. They did not chip at all. I had them on maybe 7 days. Only by the end were they looking very ragged at the edges. BUT the thing that made them great was that they did not peel off and the thing that made them terrible was that they were such a pain to remove. The adhesive is really strong and I think it damaged my nails a bit because my nails are a bit weak and I had to really work hard to remove all of it. They did look nice for a long time and lasted much longer than regular nailpolish would have under the conditions I put them through. Generally, thumbs up except pricey. I got mine on sale.

on 7/20/2012 9:00:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

My 13 year old daughter got these as a gift from her aunt. I told her that she might be pretty dissapointed in them bc they didnt get such glowing reviews....BUT they look great and have stayed on for well over a week - maybe two! She swims and showers often so I am pretty impressed. They look adorable and pretty cool. She has been wearing some kind of geometric pattern/shade that I dont know the name of but they are a fun easy way to spruce up a manicure, I think they are a little pricey for the amount you get but since it is staying on so long it might be worth it.

on 7/20/2012 8:19:00 AM

I bought these for a month-long job I work where I'm on call 24/7 and have little to no time to maintain my manicure. I was expecting to hate them, but to my surprise they are EXCELLENT! I've already had mine on for 6 days and NO chipping, aside from what I messed up when I applied them. I chose "antique lace" and any place where my nail shows is concealed by the color and texture of the design. The next one I have and haven't used yet is "Good Morning Glory", which is white & purple so I will need to apply it more carefully.

I strongly suggest doing everything, and I mean EVERYTHING the in-box instructions say to do. I was skeptical when it said to use nail polish remover a second time before applying the stickers but I think it really helped.

Although the price is a little expensive - $8.50 a box where I live - you can easily get 3 manicures out of one kit. I easily used the very long stickers for 2 fingers at a time. All you need to do is take off the plastic backing and stick it to both nails at once, then cut inbetween. This might not work for anyone with nice, long nails, but if yours are short like mine you can make it work.

I'm very glad I tried these and I plan on trying Sephora's nail sticker brand next. My only qualm is that I'm worried they may look a little tacky to some, but I love them so whatever!

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I bought some Salon Effects in Love Letter! I absolutely love the professional look they give! I just put mine on earlier today. I applied a top coat and accidentally hit the top of my pointer finger. The polish turned stringy and goopy and it was a mess. I ended up having to file my nail down really low to even it out. Aside from that, the product is great. A little tricky to apply but with practice gets easier. :)

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I really wanted to love these, unfortunately, I did not! Target's having a huge clearance sale on the Avril Lavigne designs and with the $1 off coupons on Coupons.com, they were $3.98 each. Thinking that I was going to love them, I picked up 7 different designs. As soon as I got home, I opened up Crowd Surfer, and I applied them as instructed and put on Seche Vite top coat to seal it. It looked awesome, but within a few hours, the polish started lifting at my cuticles and whenever I would pull my hair back, my hair would get caught in the middle and snag my hair. I removed the polish the same night and returned all of them the next day. I don't know if they were all bad, but Target doesn't have a good return policy and I wanted to make sure I got my money back. These suckers originally cost $10-12, I can't imagine paying that much.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Salon effects - nail polish strips by Sally Hansen
(in the set 16 nail polish strips)
They say "last up to 10 day"
this is true!
I'm happy with it, only the price too high

on 7/12/2012 11:18:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Great new way to glam up your nails. Here are my pros and cons:

PROS:
* lasts forever if you use a decent top coat (maybe base coat too?)
* No chipping for me - but I don't get chips with regular polish either
* great individual look (so many designs available)
* cut them in half to reduce number used (see my caution below)

CONS:
* REALLY hard to remove - use the sponge dip style remover
* people will ask you about them - be prepared for this
* for a great look, you have to be quite exact with application
* keep the unused ones in plastic wrap (see CAUTION below)

CAUTION: I cut some of the 'nails' in half intending to use them later. When I went back to wanting to use those, they would not stick! There's a reason why they're hermetically sealed. So use one of the two packages with a friend. Or try sealing tightly with plastic wrap, as maybe they don't like being exposed to air?

My PROS and CONS are pretty even. But I'm looking at this product as a pro, due to its uniqueness. Just remember that you have to take a fair bit of time to put these on and have them look good, in addition to needing a good amount of time when you want to take them off.

UPDATE - Feb. 8, 2013 : Lippies removed from 4 to 1, and I wish I could have given this product a big fat ZERO!

I am staying as far away from this product as I can, and suggest you do as well. The 'concept' is great, but until Sally Hansen (and other companies that now have this product out) find a way for you to remove these 'nail tapes' easily and gently, I will never use them again. My nails were very damaged from everything I had to do to get these 'nail tapes' off. I suffered with a number of ridges on my nails and my nails took a very long time for them to grow out to a point where there looked good with nothing on them. Be forewarned.

Popular Polishes