Sally Hansen salon effects

Sally Hansen salon effects

3.6

I have just tested out a couple of sample strips from a magazine. The key to applying these is to make sure that your nails have no oil or dirt on them so go over your nails with nail polish remover. Then when you get the right position on your nails, gently press down and smooth over with an orange stick or the end of a makeup brush. If the sticker is having a hard time adhering to the nail use your other fingers to gently press and smooth over the sticker, especially at the tips!. The warmth from your fingers will help the sticker adhere. When you are sure the sticker is on your nail completely bend the sticker 90 degrees and file away!

It wasn't that hard to put the stickers on but i don't know how long they'll last. I can already see some areas lifting and maybe a top coat will fix that.

on 3/27/2013 1:47:00 AM

Salon Effects " last up to 10 days" is false advertisement. I followed the directions accordingly to ensure the strips lasted as long as they claim on the package. It took me about an hour to apply the strips. Within the hour, I had dinner, washed the dishes and cleaned the kitchen, all of the strips have chipped/peeled off. It is possible that they can last up to 10 days if one does not do anything with their hands which is not realistic. I would not buy this product again.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I wasn't sure about these because the results I got from my first attempt weren't the best, but since I've gotten the hang of applying them, I really like them. There really is a learning curve with these, practice does make perfect, and I strongly recommend reading and following the instructions to a T the first time you apply them, but I've used these literally dozens of times now and I've found a few tips that make application much easier. Your mileage may vary, of course.

1. Get a rubber-tipped cuticle pusher. The strips stick so much better when I use a rubber-tipped pusher instead of the wooden one that comes with the kit. Use it to push back/lift your cuticles and to "burnish" the strip once you have it properly placed on your nail. Burnishing helps the strip adhere better, removes wrinkles, and pushes any little trapped air bubbles out, and the soft rubber tip is gentle on your cuticles and won't tear the strip like the wooden stick will (I found this out the hard way).

2. The strips are more malleable and will adhere better if your hands and nails are warm. The temperature of the room you're in when you apply these can also effect how well they stick: a warmer room is better, but not too hot.

3. The strips can be ~very~ gently stretched to fit all the way across the nail from sidewall to sidewall. You can also push your cuticles back and lift them slightly (be careful and don't push them back too hard or lift them too high), and the strips can then be placed just under the cuticle (you then press the strip to the nail using the rubber-tip pusher). This is great if you're not especially neat with liquid polish and tend to get it all over your cuticles, or if you don't like a gap between the polish and your cuticle. Placing the strips just under the cuticle also extends the life of my manicure, as it takes longer for a gap to show as my nails grow out.

4. In my experience, the solid neon shades are the thinnest strips, and thus the most fragile and easily torn. The non-neon solid shades are a bit thicker, followed by the printed designs, and the glitter shades are the thickest and the easiest of all the strips to stretch.

5. I don't use a base coat, but I do use a top coat. The strips chip within a couple of days without, but with top coat, usually I only get a little tip wear and my manicure lasts from 8 to 14 days. I apply a fresh top coat every 3 days or so if the strips begin to look dull.

6. Clean, dry nails before you start are a must. I recommend using alcohol, polish remover, or acetone to remove all traces of dirt and oil from the nail bed. Don't use polish remover that says "hydrating" or "moisturizing", as these contain oils that will prevent the strips from adhering.

7. The more recent designs (as of this review) seem to be easier to remove than the older designs. I use acetone to remove them, and I soak the glitter strips off. As you can imagine, this is very drying to the nails and skin so if you do it, rehydration via a good cuticle oil and hand creme is a good idea.

8. I can get two manicures out of one package if my nails are on the shorter side. However, I don't cut the strips in half beforehand (another lesson learned the hard way, lol), I apply the strip, file the excess away carefully, and use the excess for the other corresponding nail. If you have long nails or longer nail beds, you may only get one use per package.

As I said, your mileage may vary. For what they are, these are pricy, but there are coupons and sales for them pretty much any given day of the week, so if you shop around you can get a good deal.

on 3/4/2013 8:28:00 PM

This stuff is crap. It is cleaner and less time consuming to use polish. Ugh. So many tiny pieces of sticker and foil everywhere, and no size or shape worked with my small hands. I tried the French manicure style, so maybe the multi-part process was even more difficult to apply than solid colors. Will NEVER repurchase.

on 2/24/2013 1:00:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

They were hard to apply, but I finally got them looking pretty good. Unfortunately, they started getting chips, etc. after only a few days, much like regular polish. Actually, it was probably fortunate instead of unfortunate, because it caused me to just go ahead and remove them after a week. I'm glad I did, because my nails underneath were pretty much ruined. Totally dried out, with ridges and a tendency to peel and split. It took months for my nails to improve, and that is because I just had to grow new ones. I would never use this product again.

on 2/23/2013 7:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I want to start off by saying that I think this product is a bit overpriced. I got it as a gift and was glad that I did, because I was always curious but didn't want to shell out 10 bucks+ to buy it myself. I found the process fairly easy to get used to after the first couple nails. I was very meticulous in making sure that each nail polish sticky was completely flat with the stick before filing off the excess. I didn't even think to cut them in half (but I will definitely be doing that next time!) for two manicures instead of just one. I have long nail beds, and most of the stickies were just about the right size for my nails. For the ones that were a bit too big, I used the cuticle stick that came with it to carefully cut off the excess parts around the side of my nail that touched my skin. I then added three coats of clear top coat to set it. My SIL suggested I wait at least an hour before touching anything, and after a few minutes of being semi-careless, I understood why. I now have a few spots on the very tips of my nails where it rubbed off. It still looks really good though (and way better than I could ever do myself). Definitely not a product for perfectionists who can't deal with a few little creases or bumps. I would recommend this product to anyone who is awful at putting on nail polish like I am and is willing to spend 10 bucks or more on 1-2 manicures.

I decided to give these a try, they were on sale at a local store. The pre-cut shapes just did not work for my nail shape and curves. I found that instead of just cutting off the end of my nail, it kind of stretches and doesn't break off. The texture of the finish on your nail is just odd. Somewhat, sticky? I don't know. And when used with a topcoat, it just bubbles. Plus once you open the package, you can't keep the strips you didn't use =[
I'd rather spend the time on my nails!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Salon Effects ohh how I love thee! There are the cutest colors and patterns and there seem to be new ones every week! I agree with the reviews that say these are not for perfectionists, as it is highly unlikely that the stickers will fit your exact size for every nail, so a sliver of your nails may show on either side, or the sticker may slightly cover your skin around the nails. Easy to apply and reasonably priced. The biggest con for me is that they do not lie as flat as polish does, so when I run my fingers through my hair some strands get caught under the sticker and break! Ugh!! I am trying to remember to use my finger tips only. But these are too much fun and I have bought many and will continue to do so!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I bought the new French Mani kit. I keep my nails short, so I had a hard time putting on the tips without it looking pretty ridiculous, and the color strips hardly stick! I've used one of the regular kits before and didn't have that problem.

on 11/26/2012 2:31:00 PM

I'm on the fence with these. I decided to give them a try, but thought they were pretty pricey so I purchased a box on ebay for way cheaper than what they go for in store. It only took a nail or two to really get the hang of applying them. And the finished product was actually pretty cute. I got the houndstooth pattern because I'm an Alabama fan. I put them on my toenails because I figured on my fingernails would be overkill. I could do more than one toe from one strip because the strips are so long, so I had a lot of leftovers. I put the leftovers back in their hard plastic package, then in the small bag they came in, then a ziploc bag. Today I pulled out the leftovers to do my toenails once again, and they're all dried out and unusable. I know it says they dry out once opened, but you would think in that much plastic, they would keep. If S.H. can find a way to keep these from drying out once opened (because let's face it, even if I had done all finger and toe nails, there would still be leftovers) then I'd probably buy them again. But until then, this won't be a repurchase. I'm really glad I didn't pay full price for these.

Popular Polishes