Sally Hansen salon effects

3.6

on 1/13/2012 7:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

i bought a pack on sale for 3$ because ive been wanting to try them. so i picked up a package thinking it was a light lemon yellow. well when i opened the package they were ORANGE carrot orange. only the first nail on display was yellow. also i only had them on for 12 hours and one of the nails peeled off. also the package came with 16 strips. why 16? thats such a random number. four of the strips were large thumb peices WHO HAS 4 THUMBS????? any way i got much more use out of the little cuticle stick that came with it.

on 1/11/2012 5:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other

I had so much trouble putting these on and it was very time-consuming. After the 2nd or 3rd nail I gave up and painted my nails with my trusty Rimmel Dusty Rose. The stickers are difficult to get just right on the nails and they really do have to be placed just so. They cost about the same as a regular manicure give or take a dollar or $2. It's just not worth the hassle.

on 1/10/2012 7:34:00 PM

i just finished putting this on. i dont know the name of the color but its a pink glittery one. it was given to me so i dont know the price. the instructions kind of confused me so i followed them as best as i could and winged the rest. it was pretty simple they all seemed to stick well but on some nails it lifted on the tips but not to bad.
i like these since im impatient to wait for regular polish to dry. i will by these when i see colors/patterns i like.
my first review yay

on 12/24/2011 5:21:00 AM

I wish there was a "sometimes" for would I buy this product again because... I really dont think ill buy this too much just because its pretty expensive for what it is. I think if theres a pattern that I think is really cute I will buy it but other than that Id rather spend only five dollars on fake nails instead!

I bought the butterfly patterned one and its really cute on my nails but these things were kind of a nightmare to put on and it took forever because you have to get them just right and I found that most of the strips didnt fit my nails that well and I have really average shaped nails.

Its ok but nothing too amazing..just not really worth 10 dollars on something thats for only a one time use. Just get it if you find a pattern you think its really awesome because you cant paint those on yourself at all.

on 12/17/2011 3:42:00 PM

Where to start? I like this product, I will use it again, BUT there are a lot of flaws/things to keep in mind

Pro
-It lasts. I've only had them on a day, so I don't want to jump the gun, but I'm very challenged when it comes to painting my nails and this has already outlasted any manicure I've given myself. If it doesn't last the 10 days, it's because I was a little sloppy when putting them on and I already know what I'll do differently next time
-NO DRYING TIME! This is so important to me. I'm too impatient to wait for my nails to dry and/or I put too many coats on and it gets smudgy and there's air bubbles
-The pattern options. They're pretty cool
-If you have short nails/tiny nail beds, you can get two uses out of each box which is a BIG plus
-$10 for two uses is pretty solid to me.. I don't think the price is steep at all. It lasts a long time and is cheaper than a manicure. I guess if you're a pro at doing your nails though, it isnt worth it. I can't paint my own nails for the life of me.

Cons
-The packaging? I think this might address most people's issues with this product, so READ THIS and beware? Maybe? I bought three colors. I bought the 3rd color because it was 75% off ($2.75 total). I tried that one first. The strips were all dried out and some cracked as I applied them to my nails. Some of them stuck to my nails but not really. The one I paid full price for had no issues. So I suggest not buying them if they're deeply discounted (buy one get one half off is fine I'm guessing). But this is definitely an issue. Did CVS know something I didn't? Did Sally Hansen tell them these have a shelf life and they need to go? If a drugstore doesn't act on that or turn product over fast enough, the buyer can get kind of screwed.
-Learning curve. Unless you are just plain awesome, you probably won't apply these perfectly the first time around. Like other reviews, I suggest following the directions to a T and watching an instructional video on youtube. Obviously wipe your nails down with nail polish remover and wash your hands.
-The color selection. Most besides Raise A Glass aren't work appropriate. So pleaseeeeeeee Sally Hansen, make more for the corporate woman! I don't have time to keep getting mani/pedis and would love to spend my money on you.

Other notes:
Not to discredit other peoples review's, but unless your product was faulty (very possible! see above), I don't see how so many people have had problems applying this to their nails. Also, if you have particularly long nail beds, you might run into a problem. I can't speak on removal yet but will update this review.

on 12/7/2011 12:11:00 PM

For some reason this product just doesn't work for me.
I followed the instructions to a tee and still managed to have the edges flapping up and down on my nail cause they didn't stick very well.

I also kept ripping it when I filed down, and found that even with filing the edging wouldn't always come out very smooth for me.

I also found it very difficult to keep the product on (mostly because of the flapping of the edges and the item getting stuck to other things ...or just falling off on its own and this was shortly after application.

I know this product works for some people, perhaps my standards are to high making this product just not for me.

on 12/4/2011 1:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I got two different boxes of these stickers and was super excited to try them. But I had the same problem with both boxes, the polish wouldn't stick!! Either they were old or defect or that's just how they are? I don't know but they weren't sticky at all. How is the nail polish supposed to stay on your nail?? And that ridiculous file. It didn't file anything off of the edges. For that price I would expect a higher quality product. I will definitely never purchase this product again. I rather spend that money on nail polish or manicures!
What a waste of money!

on 12/3/2011 8:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

These strips are a great idea. However, they're way too expensive (I'd rather buy a bottle of nail polish!), and I'm not impressed by the color/pattern selection. I found Glitz Blitz on sale and decided to try it out. I applied the strips to my toenails and ended up much happier than I thought I'd be! I don't normally go for glitter polishes, but now I can't stop staring at my toenails. I love having the glitter effect without the gritty texture, and I'm sure that removal will be so much easier than it'd be with an actual glitter polish. I'll probably repurchase these stripsóbut only on sale.

on 12/2/2011 3:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Such a waste of money! I've been wanting to try these for quite some time now and I finally broke down at spent the 10$. Bad decision! Instructions are basic and seem fairly simple. The part that ruined it for me was filing away the excess product from the tip of the nail. Either I'm an idiot or the nail file that came with it was completely defective. It would not file ANYTHING. Such a waste. I got through 2 fingers and was so fed up that I threw it all away. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!

So I tried the black and white flower patterned of the sally hansen effects real nail polish strips and I LOVE them! I've gotten so many compliments!
I work in health care and I wash my hands ALL the time... and regular nail polish only lasts me 2-4 days until I get peeling or chipping on at least 3 of my nails...
but Not with these!

*tips:
- wash your hands and nail beds well with soap - liquid dish washing soap works well because it takes any oil / grease off your hands...
- dry your hands well
- don't use base coat...
- gently push your cuticles back with the orange stick
- remove the clear plastic film off the strip and then the white backing... then use as directed on the box
- I always press pretty firmly on my nail before I file the excess strip*

I love this product because I can get 2 uses per box... since I keep my nails on the shorter side...
(note: to get 2 uses per strip...
after I stick and file the excess strip from my middle fingernail on my left hand, I would then tear the perforated edge off , and then I would stick that side on my middle fingernail on my right hand - 2 fingernails per strip =) hehe)

Popular Polishes