Neutrogena Healthy Skin Compact Makeup SPF 55 Helioplex

2.6

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I bought this because I am an SPF freak, although I never depend on my foundation for sole protection, and despite the SPF 55 factor, I wouldn't with this - you'd have to apply TONS of it. As other reviewers noted, it seemed to disappear. It did the same on me. My skin is freckly, sensitive, and dry, so I like creme foundations with a dewy finish and was pleased that this didn't leave a powdery finish, but it did seem to disappear. I'll carry it around in my bag in the summer for touchups and extra protection, but I would definitely still apply sunscreen underneath.

I got this on a whim hoping to find a slightly more moisturizing product than my powder. This wasn't it. I have pretty normal skin with some oily tendencies. This actually gave me dry spots, which I've never seen before. It seems to me more like a sheer creme SPF with a little bit of tint rather than a good coverage foundation.

My skin feels very smooth and clean with it on as it absorbs really fast into my skin and it smooths a little bit of coloration on my cheeks. But within an hour it almost looks like its not there anymore. I've never had a foundation fade that fast off my face!

I really wanted to like this. But I think this is more made for a more oily skin since it did give me dry spots on my face. If you need a product with more SPF rather than a coverage this would prolly be ok short term. (going to the beach, outside activities etc) The compact was a good idea just the formulation was a fail to me. I liked the liquid healthy skin but it was just too messy for me. This doesn't give any kind of dewy effect that the liquid does, its more a natural matte. Hopefully they will improve on this product in the future.

Skin: Other, Medium, Warm

I wanted this to work badly, but unfortunately, this foundation left me looking like I put lard on my face after only 2 hours. =( I liked the fact that it has a high spf to it and the finish was a natural dewy look but too bad its no good for oily skin. I bought this at Rite Aid (while I was visiting the US) for $13.99 and bought it in the shade Natural Beige (60) (around NC30-35 at the moment) but it was slightly too dark. I think 50 was a bit too pink and 40 may have been a touch too light.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i just got this and this is just an initial review ill get back to it to update but man! i thought spf 55 would be the deal! but for some reason i wasnt expecting it to smell lik sunscreen but it does! its not sparkly lik sunscreen but it definitely leaves a sheen kinda dewy look. ithought it would be lik maybelline smooth mousse but its a lot thicker and a little dryer harder to blend. i had to set it b/c it was stickyish. mmm lol not loving it so far

Skin: Other, Other, Neutral

Concept: Love the SPF 55 factor, and the fact that it offers both 3%avobenzone as well as Helioplex. Most makeup touting an SPF contains both lame sunscreen ingredients as well as lame percentages *of* those lame sunscreen ingredients.

Test 1 of SPF makeup: Both the ingredients and their percentages must be high enough to make an impact if you are depending on only a makeup product to protect you from the sun's harmful rays.
Test 2: The makeup must offer an SPF that's high enough to begin with.

Well, even though the active ingredients & high SPF of the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Compact SPF 55 passes Tests 1 & 2, here's the rub before one gets a false sense of security with makeup containing SPF. You need to consider first how much actual old-fashioned lotion/cream-based bottled sunscreen one must apply to yield the full benefits & SPF stated on the bottle: i.e., a quarter-teaspoon to the face alone. Some derms insist on more than this, but a quarter-teaspoon is a ton & will have to suffice for me. So, be honest here. If you're riding on the SPF in your face makeup & skipping sunscreen as a pre-step: are you really applying this much foundation or powder to your face alone to yield all its sun-protecting benefits?

Moral: don't depend on the SPF in your makeup. At most, this is something I would use if I were staying inside the house all day.

(P.S. on SPF application: another quarter-teaspoon to the neck, & a full shotglass on the body from the clavicle down is required for sufficient protection.)

Colorwise: The lightest shade of this compact almost worked for me, and was a trifle pink. NC15/NW15 are both almost always too dark for me, & L'Oreal True Match in W1 is a perfect match even though I dislike its shiny texture/finish. So that should offer a sense of my coloring.

Finish: I returned this product because it isn't something I can use if Retin-A & glycolic acid are apart of my skincare regime. Like physical-based sunscreens (which Avobenzone/Helioplex isn't!), this compact makeup with SPF just dried out & fries my face due to the Retin-A I use. So, of course the texture wasn't all that hot as a result. I will repurchase this summer when I take time off from the above actives & am just self-tanning to give this makeup a second chance. If the finish improves then, I will up the current 3-lippie rating.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I like the structure and ease of the compact, the fact that it has good UVA/UVB ingredients, and its natural finish. However, this does tend to exacerbate oilies midday and definitely sits in pores. Even though it is a sheer finish, it doesn't really absorb into skin well enough to sit well under loose powder. I noticed that it laid on skin midday and looked patchy especially in oily places and my pregnant winter skin is fairly dry right now. I could see the it in the pores, but that could also be that the colors are not neutral enough. So this won't be an option for the warmer months when the spf & powder will really be necessary. I am returning it.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I am very fair and the lightest color was too dark. The product is also very greasy. I liked the idea of SPF 55 but didn't work for me.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I decided to experiment and instead of continuing with the usual Healthy Skin Enhancer I always get, I wanted to try out the Compact Makeup's new texture, more opaque coverage, and higher SPF.

Firstly, I was pleasantly surprised with the tone of Nude 40, I had just put on a tan after moving back to Florida and was worried about darker foundations having a pink undertone, but Nude 40 has just the right amount of yellow for my olive skin. Secondly, the opacity and longevity of the color was also spot on, considering I was aiming for this to be an apply once-in-the-morning-then-go type of thing. As for the SPF? It's hard to make an immediate opinion on this since you'd probably need a UV camera to properly assess whether you've gotten more sun damage or not but I'll give the benefit of the doubt about the SPF 55 working better than the SPF 20 Healthy Skin Enhancer. It doesn't really matter unless you're outside for more than 20min at a time I believe, so if you're just flitting between work, car, restaurant, etc it's not a big deal.

So why the low rating? Ugh, just the texture and the way it reacts with my skin. I was already skeptical about the paste medium and how it would do on my oily skin, but I willingly went into this. I have pore issues on my nose and cheek area under my eyes, and let me tell you as it went on, it seemed satiny and smooth. However after about half an hour every little pore seemed to have a minuscule, skin colored "flake" from the foundation. Really hid the pores in the same way holding a tree branch in front of you works as camouflage. I also got really shiny -not- in the angelically dewy way, but Florida humidity is a little difficult to beat, and I'm too lazy to worry about touch ups or blotting paper so I'll let that slide. I've also developed a couple hard black heads/break outs from this switch and I know Neutrogena likes to be comedogenic so that's been confusing (mind you, I use an exfoliating scrub every morning and night).

Considering everything, I'd recommend this to someone with perfectly moisture balanced, marble-smooth skin. So if you know how to get your skin to that level and just need the color coverage and sun protection, buy it! I'm weary about recommending this for older skin because of the way it "flakes" out of the pores, it might flake in wrinkles and end up exaggerating them.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This stuff has good coverage, it's fast to apply, and it stays on for a while, but it's not great for oily skin. It's shiny to begin with and it doesn't really control oil, which I should've expected. It also runs out pretty quick so it's expensive for the little product you get. But, I can see this really working well for people with normal skin!

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Neutral

This is a terrible product. It does not blend very well, it feels heavy, but it isn't moisturizing. It applies streaky with the sponge given, and it wasn't any better with my fingers or a brush. The coverage was good, I'll give it that. It covered my redness for the whole day, but I felt like I wore a mask on my face. That must've been the reason why my cheeks were bright red and burning when I took off the foundation a couple of hours later. I would not recommend this for sensitive skin. I thought my sensitive skin was gone since I haven't had a flare up or terrible irritation with really anything, but winter must have something to do with it. My face was so irritated for a week. I thought I broke out, but it was just a reaction. I give it two lippies because I did like the coverage, but everything else is awful. The funny thing is that now I'm using the Neutrogena Gentle skin cleanser and skin cream which completely cleared my redness and irritation in one day. Oh the irony.

Popular Crème Foundations