REVLON ColorStay Liquid Foundation - Buff

REVLON ColorStay Liquid Foundation - Buff
ColorStay Liquid Foundation - Buff

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (4.4%), Zinc Oxide (2.0%) Inactive Ingredients: Aqua/Water/Eau (Water, Eau), Cyclomethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Cetyl/PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Polyglyceryl 4, Isostearate, HDI/Trimethol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Phenyltrimethicone, Nylon 12, Alumina, Magnesium Sulfate, Isododecane, Boron Nitrate, Methicone, Laureth 7, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Flower Extract (Mallow), Lilium Candidum (White Lily) Bulb Extract, Lactobacillus/Eriodictyon Californicum Ferment Extract, Cymbidium Grandiflorum Flower (Orchid) Extract, Serica (Silk Powder) (Silk), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Tribehenin, Bisabolol (L-Alpha), Silica, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dimethicone/Silsesquioxane Copolymer, Polysorbate 20, Polysorbate 80, Ammonium Polyacrylatedimethyl Tauramide, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Ethylene Brassylate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain (+/-):, Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163), Zinc Oxide (CI 77947)

on 8/8/2014 1:44:00 AM

This review is for the NEW formula Revlon Colorstay in Buff (with a pump) for combination/dry skin.

This has been my go to foundation now for about three years. The colour is a perfect warm pale for countering my pinkish tones and blends particularly well when I am slightly fake tanned. The texture is quite thick but this ensures that the coverage is... AMAZING! This stuff covers up my many many dark scars from dermatillomania.
The finish is dewy yet matte enough not to need a setting powder.
It hasn't broken me out in my many years of using in, unlike some other reviews I much prefer the new formula as it is more blendable, lighter and the fragrance doesn't smell as strong.

I wouldn't say that it's 24hours but it definitely lasts 8 hours without need for any touch ups.

The price is only three stars for me because I live in Australia, and here is it $37.
I'm still happy to pay this though, as this the product works wonders for me.

For me, this foundation is BETTER than Mac Studio Fix Fluid (NC15), which I swapped to for a while but had to change after it gave me serious acne in just a week. There's a reason they call it Macne.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

The best drugstore foundation, imo. I used to use it with a beauty blender before I decided I wanted to use tinted moisturizers instead of heavy foundations since my skin really isn't that bad. Gives good and buildable coverage. Really great shade selection too.
This stuff is great and really does last a long time. The only things I hated about it were the smell and packaging.

on 4/4/2014 8:08:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium

For reference, this review is with regards to the new 2013 Combo/Oily formulation with SPF15.

Firstly, there is a lot of comparison between this, MAC SFF and Estee Lauder DW. For me, MAC wins hands down. It's creamier/easier to blend, looks gorgeous in photographs and can be built up or sheered down appropriately (partly because it doesn't dry instantly). It is very much multi-purpose and therefore worth the money. The reason I won't repurchase DW is because it feels thick and leaves a white cast in photos (I believe the new formula is lighter but the original didn't wow me enough to consider repurchasing the revived formulation). The reason I won't purchase Colourstay again is due to the fact that it is quite heavy feeling and, when in the heat, makes me itch. This must be down to an ingredient in the formulation as I have the same problem with Rimmel Wake Me Up.

Overall, Colourstay is a good full coverage foundation that is reasonably priced and very accessible. The lack of pump makes it problamatic to use and it is hard to sheer down to a more natural finish because it's incredibly thick/heavy feeling and dries remarkably fast. It looks ok in photographs and the colour range is pretty good. It does have the obvious 'I'm wearing foundation' feel/look and the formula can cling to skin somewhat. If that's the look you like, go for it, but for me, I prefer something I can sheer out more naturally (if my skin is behaving) but the primary reason this foundation isn't for me is due to ingredients.

Generally, a good budget foundation though not hugely cheap (try and get it on offer in Boots/Superdrug) but one that has good staying power.

PROS
Cheaper and readily available - can always get it on offer in Boots
Good colour selection
Good staying power
Good coverage - definitely on the full side

CONS
Dries quickly so hard to blend
Thick/heavy feeling so can risk looking obvious on the skin
Hard to sheer down due to thick formulation
Terrible paint like smell
Awful packaging - no pump! Hard to control product
Makes me itch - problematic ingredients

on 3/14/2014 5:16:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

To be totally honest I quite dislike this product. However, this is solely because I have really oily skin. Even though I purchased the 'oil free' version it just still doesn't work very well with my skin. If you have normal to combo skin then this would be a great drugstore product for you especially if high coverage is what you are needing. Unfortunately in Australia this product can reach the $35 mark, but if you are willing to spend an extra $15 you should look into trying the Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay In Place Liquid Foundation. This is by far my HG foundation and is perfect for us oily girls who need the coverage and the staying power. xx

on 3/9/2014 1:25:00 AM

initially i LOVED this! I went to the mall, picked up a bottle for half price, went home, tried out it, loved it, fell asleep, woke up in 2 hours and the makeup was STILL on and looked great!!

However, there definitely are some things that have made me fall less in love with it as time went on. For example, although the color seems very pale once it's on my skin it always seems to darken quite a bit. I'm a really pale girl but come one. Like it looks nice and light but after it's all blended in it just seems at least two shades too dark.

The other thing is that it's really thick, so thick that i needed to put a bit of moisturizer in the bottle to make it more spreadable. It also goes into pores quite deep but that is fixed if you have a high quality pore minimizer.

Overall, would give about a 7/10. Not going to buy it again next time in hopes i can find a lighter foundation, but if nothing else works out, this is my next top pick.

on 1/23/2014 2:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Overall it is a decent foundation. Not my ideal but good. The shade is nice. A Fair/Light with slight yellow undertones to counteract redness. It definitely lasts! I find it makes me very matte and one tone. People proabably like this but I find I look too even toned, almost corpse like so if I use this foundation I must wear blush. Must Blush. I find it a bit drying or maybe it is just that it's matte, it seems to show my dryness a bit more than other foundations I like. I myself like the glass bottle, I can pour out what I need and it's sanitary. Doesn't bother me. I like the full coverage for days I want it and the lasting power. Good for long day. I wish it was a bit more moisturizing. I have it in the normal to dry skin formula. The color is great for fair skin ladies. I only bought it because of great reviews on here. Good foundation just needs a little more moisture to be perfect.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This foundation is one of the best I have tried from a drugstore, and it still lacked many things.
I have acne prone skin and the foundation was able to cover that without a need for concealer which is the main reason I like it, as it doesn't really have many other pros. Oh and the colour buff is perfect for my pale skin, which was a bonus. It has many streak marks when applied with a brush and fingers so I have to spend a bit of time trying to even them out, and it is too liquidy to be applied properly with a cotton pad. I may have to try a sponge. I could not wear this foundation alone, it has to be accompanied with powder and some form of colour for it not too look ghostly. The price is pretty expensive in Australia at about $35 a bottle, which sucks. So all in all, it has amazing coverage and that's about all.

on 1/11/2014 3:38:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I had to buy this online cause it isn't anywhere to find here in Denmark.. But I'm glad I did!!
WOW. My skin looks soooo good (well the best it is able to look)

Pros:
- It stays on all school day (about 8 hours - I haven't tried it out for longer time)
- The color "Buff" is perfect for my fair skin!
- It's absolutly the best foundation I've tried to control my oily skin!!
- Can be applied in several layers
- Surprisingly easy to apply!

Cons:
- The tube/packaging !
- It dosen't have a full coverage as I've read in other reviews (but it's perfect for day-looks!)

I will defiantly buy it again!!

on 1/3/2014 7:56:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

It's funny when I put this on and see my self in the mirror it looks pretty average but when I look in natural light it looks fabulous. Reminds me kind of of Estée Lauder Dw not as full coverage in my opinion but very very close it looks more natural and is a defiant matte finish but doesn't make me look flat and dull.
I prefer not using a primer I just use my 'simple matte moisturiser' and makes it feel matte for longer but if I found a decent primer I think it will be even better but atm I'm just using NYX matte finish primer which in my opinion not that great at all. Any way I have a very oily t zone especially my forehead and chin and this foundation keeps it matte most of the day but ofcourse I set the foundation with my Maybelline dream matte powder or on special occasions clinique matte powder (forgot the name) which defiantly helps but I only apply in the t zone then I just apply a translucent loose powder every where els just coz I don't want it to cake to much
But overall great foundation I Looovveee it! U just gotta know how to work with it:) oh an another thing I find the best way to apply this foundation is with a beauty blender, sigma f80 and a normal foundation brush of-course work quickly

Pros
Long lasting
Matte
Great coverage
Non scented

Cons
Living in australia the prices are higher than US so the price for this foundation is $37.00 which is what most people in the US pay for high end brands

Not a great colour range

I decided to write a review of this finally. I"m a makeup artist who is used to high end makeup brands. A couple months ago, I decided to find a cheaper foundation that I could use more often on myself that lasted all day while I was on photoshoots.(I personally feel like highlighting and contouring looks better with foundation under it) another makeup artist had talked about this stuff and Target had it for ten bucks so i gave it a shot. I have sensitive skin but it was pretty clear at the time. Let me tell you, changing to this foundation was absolutely the worst decision I'd ever made. For a week or two my skin looked beautiful when I wore this, but slowly I started noticing that the more I used this stuff the more I needed to use the next day. Fast forward to 2 months after I'd started using this my skin is an absolute mess! I stopped using it but clearly the damage had been done, now I spend most days make up free and when I work I use a much much gentler foundation. I really do not recommend this stuff and am now trying to get my skin back to it's clear state.

On the plus side of this foundation it did cover the acne it was causing very well..