Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder

4.1

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

The smell is something you have to get used too, but over all I love this product!

on 8/24/2016 8:52:00 AM

So I actually really like this stuff. The only thing was the smell the first time was so shocking. It's soooo strong like old lady perfume smell. But I've gotten used to it now. I've found that I had to get the balance right with this. The first time I used it it left my face pretty pale but now I've been using it to bake my highlighted spots and I really like the outcome. I'm a realy pale too but it made my highlighted areas stay and pop and look airbrushed. Would buy again if I ever run out because it's a ton in there.

I fell for the "This is an amazing vintage product available at your local drugstore! It's a cult favorite among the women from the 1940's and 1950's. Oh and don't forget, it's vintage!" hype that someone started on YouTube with this powder. So I got excited and bought it because quite frankly I don't think translucent setting powder is worth spending $40 on... ( *cough* Laura Mercier.)
However, this is not an amazing translucent powder. If you have normal to dry skin I suggest you stay away from this because it will cause your complexion to look well... powdery and chalky.
I have the Translucent Extra Coverage because it was the only one on the shelf and maybe the Translucent version would be better but it is becoming increasingly hard to find. Anyways, this does not resemble the setting powders on the market nowadays that appear invisible (duh, it's from 1930). This sits on the surface of the skin making it apparent you're wearing powder and it has a whitish finish.

I'll keep this around to create an Edwardian era makeup look for Halloween but that's about it.

UPDATE 08/21: Alright y'all I decided to give this another go in a different color to see if anything is different. Ordered shade "Naturally Neutral" off Amazon for $10.75 and I must say the results are much better than Translucent Extra Coverage. Naturally Neutral has a fleshy nude tone and actually appears more translucent on my fair skin. I would say this one is more comparable to the higher end options. I still use sparingly to avoid a powdery face but this I will actually use to set my foundation.
Other shade options are Honey Beige, Rosey Beige, Sun Tan and Translucent (which looks even whiter than Translucent Extra Coverage).

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been using this for about a week and I'm loving it! I use it to "bake" and it works perfectly. I have oily skin and it has helped keep it under control. I also love the smell! I reminds me of the way Cabbage Patch dolls used to smell when I was a kid!lol

on 1/26/2016 12:38:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I used to use this powder many years ago but the container it was in broke, so I threw the whole thing out. I never repurchased and totally forgot about this powder. I proceeded to buy tons of high end and drugstore loose and pressed powders; I wanted to try them all. As I got older, I started noticing how my foundation and setting powder were settling into my laugh lines. I started experimenting with all of my many powders to try and find one that would stay put and not settle; nothing was working. Then I saw someone on YouTube mention the Coty powder as one of their yearly favorites and a lightbulb went off for me. I hunted it down at my local Wal-Mart; the shade I used to use was the Translucent Extra Coverage but I compared that shade next to the Naturally Neutral and went with the Naturally Neutral. I’m very fair (my foundation is Mac Face and Body in N1) and the Translucent Extra Coverage seemed much pinker and darker than the Naturally Neutral; I vaguely remembered that the Translucent shade sometimes used to end up looking too pink on me. The shade I picked ended up being perfect and I want to smack myself for forgetting about this powder because it is amazing. None of my many other powders keep my skin as matte and perfect looking as this stuff does; I wear my foundation and powder for 10-11 hours a day and with this powder I only have to blot once a day. But the best thing about this powder is that it stays put and doesn’t settle into my laugh lines; I’ve also started setting my under eye concealer with this powder and its incredible (doesn’t settle into my fine lines and just smooth's everything out). I love this powder so much that I’m almost tempted to get rid of my other powders; I might get the nerve up to purge them soon.

While reading other reviews for this powder I see that there are two main complaints with this powder. The first is the fragrance but I have to disagree; I absolutely love the way this powder smells because it makes me think of my Grandmother and Aunt. Even if you don’t like the smell it dissipates almost immediately after you apply it. The other complaint is the packaging but I don’t have any issues with the packaging; mine in in the newer plastic container with a sifter. It doesn’t make any more of a mess than other loose powders I’ve ever used; I think no matter what you do, loose powders are going to make a little mess.

on 12/26/2015 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Holy freaking amazing powder!! This has been around since the 1930s and I can see why. I picked this up in Traslucent Extra Coverage. It's a huge amount of product, finely milled. I'm sure it'll last me a year or more easily. I picked this up at my local Walmart after hunting it down in the makeup aisles. It's definitely hidden in Walmart but something every makeup enthusiast should own. The price is spot on. It's capabilites are endless. You can set concealer, foundation, body makeup, bake with it, and probably more I haven't even discovered yet. I'm really in love with Coty. It's everything I need in a setting powder. There's a certain smell to Coty but it's not bothersome and goes away as soon as applied. In fact it reminds me of my great grandmother but in the best way!!! Holy GRAIL. I'll never stop purchasing this ever. I'm in heaven every day using this. It's a lovely, lovely product. Damn girl pick you up some of this!

on 11/24/2015 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is ok if you can get past the grandma smell. It is s decent finishing powder. I didn't notice a ton of oil control but does set your makeup. Will not purchase again. I like a nice powder but prefer pressed. I hate having messy powder all over my bathroom sink. You get a lot of power for you money but it is a bit messy. Drug store brand that has been around forever but is not very high quality in my opinion.

on 10/19/2015 12:02:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought the Translucent extra coverage and it is okay. I haven't noticed any flashback in pictures and applied with a light hand it doesn't cause cakey-ness. It really does set your makeup, but I did notice on my skin if I used too much it would dull my blush and bronzer. I really like it for baking. Its so perfect for that technique and it will set all your under eye area very well. It's very soft on the face too. Not quite as finely milled as my UD or Dior powder, but for $6, I can't complain since the result is decent. It's definitely a matte finish with no sheen, glow, or glitter. I didnt find any problem with adding a powder illuminator over the top. It still looked natural. There is a scent, but it doesn't bother me at all. The packaging is big and bulky and not at all easy for travel. At least the design is attactive and the vintage look is super cute! I will continue to use this and experiment with it. Overall, I am pleased with this product and the price is right on point.

on 8/29/2015 11:34:00 PM

Wow this is a surprisingly good powder! It works better than some of the high end loose powders that I have tried for way less money, I only paid $6 at WalMart. What makes this an awesome product is it's unbeatable longevity on the skin, it lasted a good 6 hours with no shine on my combination skin, I didn't need a mid-day blot with powder and that's a first. This stuff also leaves your skin looking airbrushed and soft not dry and overly matte like some powders can. I am NW20 and this powder in shade " naturally neutral" complements my skin tone nicely. So glad I found a great product that saves me lots of money for other things that must have.

I love using this to set my under eyes! When I use this my concealer never creases! Definitely recommend