Urban Decay The Black Palette

Urban Decay The Black Palette
UD Black PaletteThe Black PaletteThe Black PaletteUrban Decay Vert & LibertineThe Black Palette

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 1/25/2011 11:43:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

OMG THIS PALETTE!!!

I settled for this because I wanted the NAKED palette, and of course Sephora was out of stock. I like Urban Decay's eyeshadows and I love doing smokey eyes so I thought I'd be getting the best of both worlds, and I was so right.

First of all, Urban Decay eyeshadow is the bomb, period. All of it. A little goes a LONG way. You just dab the brush ever so slightly into the shadow and you've picked up enough pigment to take care of an eye. UD is coming dangerously close to stealing my MAC loyalty.

This palette is awesome because it has every possible take on "black" that you can imagine. I *think* the colors you see online aren't exactly representative of how it shows up on your eye. Most of them are quite blackish (sorry, I don't know how else to describe them), with purple or blue or gold tones to them.

I also don't think the palette is as shimmery as one might be led to believe. While I wouldn't describe the colors as "matte" (except there is one matte black in there), this also isn't that super sparkly shimmery stuff that it looks like from the web pics.

Basically, if you ever use any sort of dark colors in your makeup routing, you won't be disappointed with this palette.

Also, I was surprisingly impressed with the eyeliner it came with. It glides right on and has awesome staying power.

If I ever ran out of the colors in this, I would totally buy it again, but UD makes such a powerful product that even if I did a smokey eye every day for two years straight, I probably wouldn't run out!

I love love this palette. It only have very limited uses with all dark colors. They can really only be used in smokey eye and I have also been using them every day as my liner colors (I thought I would never use this palette and now it's my most used one in this manner because they are all together).

The colors themselves are great and gorgeous.

However, this may not be a unique addition for somebody that already has an extensive collection of colors on the darker side. Most of these colors happen to fall in a previous void in my collection.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

To be honest, if you love a good smokey eye and love to play with dramatic dark color, these are the colors for your crease line. Theyre way too dark to put on the inner eye, I think, but they create a stunning smokey eye. Baracuda, Libertine, and Cobra are the colors that, besides the black, get the darkest. Personally I love to put Sabbath or Jet on first, then blend in Baracuda, Libertine, or Cobra more in the crease, then Black Dog for the finest detail. Then I like to put a gold (Half Baked -Urban Decay) next, then on the most inner part of the eye put a light peachy gold (Satin Sheets -Too Faced) and then finish it off with a white highlight next to the brow.
--This palatte is love.

on 12/29/2010 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

On my frequent Internet travels I've come across the Urban Decay Black Palette a few times. It's never been something I've looked in to getting myself if I'm honest, but I was bought the kit for Christmas and I was pleasantly surprised.

My favourite colour is 'Cobra', which is a really dark blacky bronze with a gold shimmer, and I use a little over my smokey eye makeup (Urban Decay Smoke Out Kit in Juju) with really thick, heavy mascara and it looks amazing.

It even comes with a full sized eyeliner in 'Zero' (my favourite) and a little bottle of the Primer Potion, which I've been after buying myself for ages.

The only downside I can see is that, as far as I know, you can't buy any of these eyeshadows separately. So if you take a particular liking to just one, then you would have to buy the entire kit again just for one eyeshadow.

However, it's definitely a kit I'd recommend if you like really dark, sultry makeup and sexy smokey eyes.

on 12/27/2010 2:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I got this for Christmas and I LOVE IT. It came with an eyeliner (didn't love it though) and eyeshadow primer (which works great). These eyeshadows go on so nicely and I love the fact that they're dark and a little bit shimmery. The color stays on really well. I'm having so much fun using these different colors!

on 12/25/2010 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

this palette is far, far, far from a must have.
black dog is a matte black and, hell, it isnt even that great of a matte black.
barracuda is good, a gunmetal, shimmery color.
jet is pretty in the pan but once applied it looks like a gross, matte, muddy purple.
sabbath is decent.
cobra is cool. the gold reflex does pop. i was suprised, i thought i wouldnt be able to notice is.
libertine sucks. it's black...not close to green.

it comes with a mini eden potion and a mini zero eyeliner. 2 products that are good, too bad they're mini.

the packaging is whatever. closes magnetically which i always find irritating.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Here's my take! I just bought it today <3

BLACK DOG- Deep dark dirty black. Very matte. Very dark. I love it! 5/5

BARRACUDA- My favorite shade! It's a blackened gunmetal with just enough silver. 5/5

JET- Dark purple with cranberry undertones. It's a pretty shade nothing too exciting but I like it :) 4/5

SABBATH- Dark blue, but not Navy. It's my another favorite of mine. This is the one shade in the palette that I think could be worn straight on the lid and it would show up blue. 5/5

COBRA- The name is perfect! haha! It's the golden/olive shade. It would look pretty on the lower lashline with UD's Half Baked (which is not in this palette) 4/5

LIBERTINE- This is the shade I'm disappointed with :( It looks SO pretty in the pan but when you swatch it there is no sign of green. Maybe it would take a green color base to make it show up. 3/5

So all in all I love this palette! The eyeshadows are super soft and plush. I like that it came with Zero eyeliner. It also came with a mini Eden primer but I gave that to my mom. The packaging is SO cute! Black palette with silver glitterys all over. I'm very pleased with my purchase and I hope this review helps :) -DarkGlamour17

on 11/19/2010 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Holy! this has become my primary nighttime-look product, it has exactly what you need for an amazing smokey eye. Very rock n roll. Sexy. I use a MAC paint pot as a base, and the colors show up really dark and rich. The shadows are so effing soft, it takes no effort to blend, they go on opaque - No streaky color! The actually tone of the colors is somewhat subdued, but it's because these are meant to look smokey, not bright. I just think this palette creates such a sexy look. My favorites for my eye color are Libertine and Cobra, and I always use Black Dog to really blacken the lashline. The little Zero 24/7 eye pencil is a nice little addition! I'm really bummed that this is not permanent, I hope Sephora decides to carry it forever!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I do not have much UD (just the Naked palette) but something about a palette devoted to the art of smokey eyes and deep dark shimmering blackened shades appealed to me. Maybe it's because I've been embracing black based nail polishes for awhile now so the new step was to take natural look me and see what damage I could do with a pigmented UD palette. Shades are very pigmented and a little goes a long way, they are also super blendable which is great. I was least interested in the matte black shade but it does have it's place in the realm of the dark smokey eye and I find it best to lay this shade down on the lid first, blend to darken the lid and then pat over one or more of the the shimmering shades. It's nice they include the traditional black liner in this too and these (I think) would do well as cake liners. Before I tried it my biggest concern was a highlighting shade or a shade to blend the look together (putting the dark on the lid the using a light shade from crease to brow, blending it out) but I find I don't need this. I just pick a shade and that becomes my lid color and I may lightly blend that up a bit to get a light shimmer effect. Surprisingly these shades, for as dark as they can be, can be really sheered out to make more wearable day shades though I felt the dark shades when I applied them wear not a night tie only thing but I have a light hand. Great palette! So unlike anything else I have and if you love UD these are all new shades, no repeats.

on 11/16/2010 4:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Sorry to be a party pooper here but this just didn't work out for me. I always do smokey eyes and thought this would be awesome for me.
It wasn't.
I thought oh great I could have different colored dark e/s.
Bah, it was dumb
All u have to do to get a dark colored e/s like these is add black to whatever color u want and bam ur good.
Plus, it's too expensive. I found better dupes from Fyrinnae at a cheaper price. Plus, they are more sparkly and give u that bam look i was looking for.
This just felt like a no-brainer. I returned it.