Urban Decay The Black Palette

Urban Decay The Black Palette
UD Black PaletteThe Black PaletteThe Black PaletteUrban Decay Vert & LibertineThe Black Palette

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 8/29/2011 11:39:00 AM

Picked up this palette last year since it looked like I could create a few colour variations on a smokey eye with it.

First, the BEST shade is Black Dog. I have never used such a pigmented matte black shadow ever. Blends far better than is competition, except perhaps Nars Pandora.

The rest of the shades, while all looking very different in pan, all seem to go an ashy grey once on the skin. There is very little variation between them. Certainly not enough to warrant this being a 60 dollar palette. I have had slightly more luck applying them wet, however then they loose blendability. Overall, I would stay away from this one.

on 6/28/2011 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I uploaded a picture of swatches on my hand above. I just got this palette today, and i just love looking at it! the picture i took is pretty bad because i have no real camera, but it was as close as i could get. If you apply these shadows dry, they just look like dark dusty colors of what you expect. But if you foil them or use pixie epoxy, it looks amaaaaaaaazing. It really brings out the jewel tones in the shadow and they almost glow when shone in the light! they are pretty hard to foil i find, because if any dry shadow gets around the wet, it leaves a dark ring around it like you can see in my picture, so they have to be applied carefully. Libertine doesn't look like much first, but foiled and in the light, its such a beautiful dark forest green! I love them all already!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I bought this eyeshadow palette on a whim. I am usually not much into dark shadow colors, but this palette really intrigued me. The colors are so rich and deep and basically, all the shadows you need for a smokey eye are right there! So convenient.
For a night out, I usually apply a lighter shadow color all over my lids, and then I will apply one of the shadows from the Black Palette on the outer V and my crease area, and blend. I get lovely smokey eyes that took literally seconds to achieve.

The shadows are all greatly pigmented, and are easy to blend. I love this palette! If you are a smokey eye lover, then this palette may be one worth looking into.

on 6/4/2011 9:44:00 AM

I heartily agree with the review directly below me. I understand that the shadows are meant to be black-based and whatnot but the effect ends up being flat and somewhat too dark, in a dirty/muddy way. I can see how someone that is really into smoky eyes would use this palette a lot, and I can also see how it can work on many ladies, but I think a good black shadow + a variety of jewel tones you may already have in your arsenal will produce similar, if not MUCH better results than this palette. The bottom line is it made me look old and dated, and rather delusional. The liner is good, I have never tried it before. I prefer the regular Primer Potion to Eden (which comes with this). Moving on!

Let me start by saying that I bought this palette on a whim because I had a coupon code for Sephora, I was going to buy the Naked Palette, saw this one at the store as well and thought why not. Therefore I had no expectations and had read no reviews.

Urban Decay's description of the palette and the colours you see in the packaging made me think I was getting black-based eyeshadows with interesting and super shiny colour reflections that would make me want to wear my smokey eyes even to put out the rubbish. Alas, this isn't the case.

Here's the deal: you get one matte black eyeshadow (Black Dog) which isn't all that dark but since most blacks aren't really black anyway I can live with that; and then you get five black-based colour eyeshadows: Barracuda (grey with silver sparkles), Jet (purple, and a disappointing one; why is a decent purple so difficult to produce?!), Sabbath (navy blue), Cobra (blackened gold with goldie sparkles) and Libertine (a very promising but disappointing dark green). You also get a black eyeliner and a tiny primer potion.

The shadows are all very smooth and easy to blend but the problem I find with them is that neither are they completely black with a colourful reflective sheen nor the exact colour you see in the pan. You really have to pack the eyeshadow on to get somewhat pan colour accuracy because once you start blending or pulling the colour out, it turns either black or grey with the tiniest colourful hue. Out of all the shades, I have to say Libertine was the most disappointing one because I thought it would be a luxurious dark green but it turns black with no dimension. Jet, the purple one, was also a disappointment but I already expected that.

This is not a bad palette for the price but really not that versatile even if it is just meant for one type of look. For me, the colours lack dimension. I could always get the shade I wanted by layering my colour of choice over a black eyeshadow but wasn't this palette designed to skip all that tedious work? I tried all the shades with either black, white or colour bases but the results weren't that exciting. In the end, I either use the shadows as liners, or blend them messily over a pencil and them add vaseline for a dirty looking rock star-like smokey look but then again you can achive the same result with ANY eyeshadow, right?

on 6/3/2011 5:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was excited about this UD palette. Unfortunately i've not had much use for it. I don't reach for it often and I'm really unsure why I wanted it so badly?

on 5/8/2011 7:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

So many good reviews...But sadly, this did not work for me.
The pigmentation is amazing, and the colors look beautiful when concentrated on your eye! However, if you use multiple colors and blend them together, they look very similar as all of them are black based.

However, if the colors are padded on and not used in conjunction with each other, then this would work. But personally, I like to be able to do looks from one palette...

They should have also paired the primer with the shimmery on, which I believe is called Sin. That seems like it would work better versus Eden, although I love Eden!

I returned this palette.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

Amazing palette! I love the bottom three colours: Sabbath (blue) Cobra and Libertine (lovely green-black) I got so many compliments when wearing these, love them!

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I love LOVE this palette. I'm always reaching out for it. I'm the kind of gal who loves to wear smokey eyes. Subtle and sometimes dramatic. A lot of people have the wrong impression about this product and I understand why, but just remember it's called the BLACK palette for a reason. All of eye-shadows are BLACK with hints of different shades. ^_^

on 4/28/2011 5:04:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

It took me months to purchase this LE palette because I thought to myself I don't need it. I was so wrong, it is absolutely fabulous and I did NEED it. If you love smokey eyes....you need this palette. All the colors have been described below. I have found that the colors are more vivid if you pat as opposed to brush or smudge. Once you brush or smudge they turn black....thus the black palette. Also, Black Dog...is the blackest of all blacks....so fab. I compared it to Perversion in the UD Book of Shadows III and its 10 times blacker than Perversion. I use with the original UDPP or Kat Von D's smokey eye primer. Great packaging. Get it!!!!