Estée Lauder Sensuous Noir

Estée Lauder Sensuous Noir
Estee Lauder Sensuous Noir

3.7

on 11/13/2010 2:40:00 PM

Do we really need another sweet, spicy patchouli scent? Not my cup of tea at all although I guess it will be popular. Great lasting power, but I prefer Aromatics or Allure Sensuelle for a patchouli fix - not so sweet and candly like. Sorry EL, fans but thumbs down from me.

Well, the paper strip smells pretty good in this issue of Vanity Fair...but...Coromandel already achieves this patchouli-heavy oriental task with style and nuance where the EL offering just comes off as too...too everything, really, but the word I might be searching for is "screechy". Sure, EL frags have lasting power, but when you're talking about a patchouli oriental, is lasting power really at the top of your list of concerns? Too much or everything dialed up to 11, which sometimes works for the house, but not this time.

on 11/8/2010 2:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I wasn't very impressed with Sensuous because it seemed sort of plain on me. Sensuous Noir has the oomph and spiciness that the original should've had. The initial burst of fragrance I get from it in the beginning gently fades on my skin before lingering into a powdery amber, which reminds me (somewhat) of Intuition. I like it in it's own way, but it's not as captivating as Cinnabar or Youth Dew (bath oil).

on 11/2/2010 12:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

A little goes a LOOOOOONG way. Really.

After reading all the reviews on Sensuos Noir (ismellthereforeiam was the most influential in my buying decision), I bought this unsniffed. This did not launch in Asia so I had my husband get it at the dutyfree in Frankfurt airport.

I wore this last night and today at work, and I have doubts if this will ever launch in Asia. Sensuous (the original beige bottle) took about a year and a half to launch in Asia, and as far as I know it did not fare well. Sensuous Noir is more 'oriental' than Sensuous (i.e., more spicy and potent) and has a LOT of patchouli.

I sprayed each of my ankles and that was it, but I can smell maybe a bit too much so next time I will only be spritzing myself once.

At first, it does seem similar to Midnight Poison and Flowerbomb in its candied, sugary floweriness, but on me the candy and flower evaporate and becomes just spicy, musk and creamy (the official description states a 'cream noir' accord, which I think is very apt). It is very strong and spicy, but I like my fragrances that way. I recommend you test drive it for a day before buying. I really loved the top note but after I was left with the musk and the patchouli, I got a little headache.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

its a gorgeous smell in a lovely bottle... certainly an autumn scent and it gets better with time. i highly recommend the scent for someone wanting non floral smell.i bought this instead of the original as i felt this is richer in smell and lasts a lot longer.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

When Estee Lauder came out with Sensuous in 2008, I was thrilled. Finally an EL scent that was NOT a floral. Most of their fragrances are cloyingly floral and a put off for me. I like Sensuous because it is rich and warm, spicy, and completely different from anything they've done. Now there is Sensuous Noir, an even darker and warmer scent than Sensuous. The notes that stick out to me are patchouli, lily, vanilla, honey, amber, and black pepper. This one's a winner!

on 10/22/2010 9:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

This one is well done but unfortunately not for me. On me it smells like Halle Berry or a lighter version of Opium. I only tried the tester and decided not to buy it. The fragrance did last quite well on my skin and clothes.

on 10/20/2010 8:01:00 PM

I'm not a great fan of Estee Lauder fragrances because most of them are too clean smelling to me.

This begins with similar notes to Feminite du Bois but then becomes more synthetic with a similarity to L'Artisan Parfumeur's Mure Et Musc because of the blackberry and soapy notes.

I don't hate it but it is still rather generic and I'm using up my sample by spraying it around the room! Pleasant but not exquisite nor addictive enough for me to want to buy it.

on 9/27/2010 8:49:00 AM

Smells like perfumed liquid toffee fudge on me.

on 9/26/2010 2:33:00 PM

Sensuous Noir is a very bewitching, beguiling scent. I can detect what i think are deep, dark plums and patchouli and both the notes swirl around like wind in a terrifying thunderstorm. I like to think Sensuous Noir is the evil twin sister to Sensuous. Sensuous Noir does not have that smooth honeyed note that Sensuous has. Instead, it is infused with patchouli which gives it it's dark vibe. Sensuous Noir could even have worked as a men's scent. Another comparison i like to make with Sensuous and Sensuous Noir is from the old television show Bewitched. Samantha, being the good, friendly witch, would wear Sensuous. The sweet honyed not would fit her sweet as pie personality and smile. Sensuous Noir, however, would fit Samantha's twin sister Serena. Serena with her demented sense of humor and naughtiness would feel right at home with Sensuous Noir.

Popular Fragrances