Merle Norman Powder Base

4.2

Zinc Oxide (CI 77947), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Water (Aqua), Paraffin, Beeswax (Cera Alba), Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Fragrance (Parfum), Lecithin, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Talc, Sodium Borate 120905

When I was very young, I loved the smell of this stuff...but now I agree with the previous reviewers...Aunt Bertha! And how! It has a medicinal, spicey cinnamon smell...but this stuff is excellent for protection and coverage. I use it as a sunblock. I also apply it with water...taking my finger with the foundation and adding a few drops of water from the faucet. This foundation will just seal in the moisture and the foundation goes on like silk. I use this method and pat the foundation under my eyes with my ring finger. A very flawless look.

I have used Merle Norman Powder base since I was 15, I am going on 40! Every once in a while I decide to try some hot new product but I always return to the Powder base. I have a very difficult time finding foundation in my skin color, I have very light porcelain skin and this base is perfect for my skin tone. Several years ago the Merle Norman stores in my city stopped carrying my color, I drive 30 miles to get it! The zinc oxide is great for sun protection and the ultra creaminess of the foundation keeps my skin soft and young looking. I love this foundation!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I really, really wanted to like this foundation. I usually buy drugstore, but that is getting so expensive, and there aren't any matches in a cream foundation for my pale skin with pink undertones, and I remember a relative of mine using this years ago, so I gave it a shot. It does cover well, but is pretty greasy. Still, it was a perfect color match, and I would have at least finished off this container, but -- THE SMELL IS REPULSIVE!

I bought some MN Luxiva Ultra Powder last week and really like it. I have been wearing mineral makeup since Spring and have gotten used to the light feel. I like to experiment with different makeups so I got some samples of the Powder Base Foundation. I really didn't think I would like it, because I no longer like the feel of cream or liquid foundation on my skin. My face was feeling alittle dry today, so I used one of my PB samples and then used the Ultra powder as a finish(didn't really need it). I couldn't believe how totally flawless my skin looked. I didn't see my usual huge pores or the redness of rosacea. I looked good, if I do say so myself! I wasn't crazy about the heavy makeup feel(compared to minerals), but to look this way I thought I would put up with it for one day. When I got to work everyone kept commenting on how good my face looked. Nobody EVER does that! People kept asking me what this new makeup was. This stuff covers EVERYTHING and doesn't sink into fine lines and wrinkles. Also, it looked as good this evening as it did this morning. I guess now, it's back to Merle Norman to buy yet another foundation.

i have used this product and REALLY liked it. the coverage is amazing on my 45 year old dark circles and uneven skin tone. it does tend to feel heavy but i felt that it was well worth it for the coverage. my main gripe with this product that would prevent me from buying it again is the smell! i tried and tried to not let this bother me but this foundation smells like someones great aunt bertha! if only they would update the fragrance on this product i would use it all the time. maybe others will not find it objectionable and merle norman does give samples so you can try it out first, but if you have any men in your life beware-i have been told its like kissing your grandmother! ;)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I do not use this foundation on myself but I have used it on clients for photo shoots and I also use it on my grandmother and mother whenever I'm doing their makeup. I love the creamy consistency, the coverage is amazing, and the color selection is a great blend of warm and cool. I will say that in the pots these colors look garish but once blended the scary color goes away. It's the zinc oxide in the product that makes the color looks so scary in the pot. The colors are all split into warms and cools. If you are unsure which color you'd use ask the Beauty advisor for samples. They always have powder base samples and they can help you figure out which color line you need, either warm or cool. The coverage on this is so good that most of the time I don't need to use concealer when using this product. I will say I have used it on myself under my eyes for concealer. This is a great foundation for dry or mature skin or rosacea sufferers. The zinc oxide soothes and provides a total sunblock. Great foundation!

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I love the coverage of this foundation. It is excellent if you like a very heavy coverage; However, why oh why does it have to dry as a powder? Once it dries it settles into every line and crease on your face. Its horrible. Too bad it doesn't have a dewy finish. And the color selection is HORRIBLE. everything is too orange or too pink!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is a great foundation for someone with dry skin who wants medium to full coverage. I really like not only the coverage, but how it doesn't dry out my skin. If you try this be sure and ask for a sample first (they have samples in every color!). They also make one called aqua base which is more for normal skin. Good product for a good price.