theBalm Cosmetics Mary-Lou Manizer Highlighter

theBalm Cosmetics Mary-Lou Manizer Highlighter

4.6

Mica, Isoeicosane, Polyethylene, Boron Nitride, Polyisobutene, PTFE, Silica, Synthetic Wax, Dimethicone, Titanium Dioxide CI 77891, Iron Oxides CI 77491.

on 11/17/2016 4:18:00 AM

This is my first high end compact highlight and I have to say, I'm not impressed. For a product with such a cult following, probably one of the most famous highlighters on the market, I really expected more.

This gives off a very nice, natural sheen when applied. It's a tad more yellow than I'd like, so not as perfect for fair skin as you might think, and unfortunately the Balm doesn't make a lighter shade. But this is not by any means an intense, in your face highlighter, which is to my liking. It's pigmentation and reflection is very nice.

So far so good. The problem is, this product lasts about five minutes on the skin. The sheen disappears within an hour, even with setting spray. I have a highlighter from Revlon (pure confection, now discontinued) which has more glow, looks nicer on the skin, and lasts hours longer than this and costs a third of the price.

on 11/12/2016 3:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Very nice shade on my skin tone which runs fair to medium depending on the season. I like that this gives a gorgeous sheen without being a "bam, in your face" glittery glow. I find that if you aren't careful with highlighter it can emphasize pores that were never there in the first place. For this reason I apply it with a soft brush that has a decent amount of flexibility or floppiness to it, making sure to tap off the excess first. I prefer that hint of glow when the light catches your cheekbones rather than the obvious I'm highlighting the crap out of my face look. Maybe it's an age thing, I am approaching 50 so a soft luminosity is probably more appropriate for me anyway.

Texture is soft and buttery, not chalky, chunky or glittery with a soft golden tone to it. Lovely product as a highlighter and also when used on the eyes, either layered on shadow or as inner corner or under brow highlight.

on 11/11/2016 6:19:00 AM

I am not sure this product is appropriate for fair skin.I had my make up professionally done for a special occasion and the make up artist used this highlighter on my cheeks.I have fair skin but because it was summer my face was a bit tanned)she actually used lighter foundation that's my face so let's say it was again fair skin).when I looked myself in the mirror I could barely see it on my cheeks.I don't know if she used a tiny amount or it just needs tanner complexion to appear.

on 11/11/2016 4:19:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love this highlight, it's not shimmery like other highlights and makes the skin look dewy. The powder is smooth and fine, you can layer with light coverage for a natural look or intensify for a beam.

I find I love this a tad bit more than my BECCAs and MAC soft and gentle.
Totally will repurchase if I ever run out.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This highlighter is so nice. It's really pigmented and buttery and just really pretty. I'm pale and more pink/cool toned so there's more flattering colors out there as opposed to this lovely champagne but I still like it and use it a lot because of the nice pigmented glow it gives.

on 11/8/2016 8:15:00 AM

So beautiful, so affordable. An oldie but a goodie.

This has gold undertones, suitable for fair to medium skin tones.

I personally wouldn't repurchase it again because I'd like to try other highlighters. There are so many on the market nowadays. However, this is a great product.

on 10/22/2016 9:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Beautiful! This puts together my whole makeup. I'm never letting you go Mary lou!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This is a great highlighter IF you are not fair. This is a goldy beige, very pigmented, quite soft but not as fluffy as Becca. The packaging isn't my favorite, but it's functional. This really shines and is quite bright. It's shimmery, no glitter. My issue is it's too dark for me. Otherwise it's a beautiful product. I can only really use it as a eyeshadow lid shade.

on 10/15/2016 4:26:00 PM

The pigment of this is lovely and it does give a nice glow but the colour looks awful on me. It's a strange yellow pearl colour that always manages to look a bit off on me. I have a light beige skin tone with yellow undertones but it looks so weird on me. Bit disappointing if I'm honest, but I do like the Becca Champagne Pop highlighter.

on 9/28/2016 2:07:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I got this on sale (YAS), and oh my I thought this was overhyped... No. I was wrong. Just get this one, seriously, it's the most gorgeous highlighter out there, and the packaging is so cute! SUPER pigmented, but shatters very very easily, so be careful!

Recommend this for light-medium skin tones as the darkest, but that's just my own preference as this is a very white-gold high light