e.l.f. Cosmetics High Definition Powder

Filtered by skin tone : Fair-Medium
e.l.f. Cosmetics High Definition Powder

4.1

Sheer: Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Sodium Dehydroacetate

on 12/8/2013 5:27:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have mixed feelings about this product. Like others have mentioned the packaging isnt the greatest and can be messy to use.

What I really like about this product is that it does a great job holding back shine on my face...which really is a feat. I can't really quibble with the price either.

Probably the biggest con with this powder is the white cast that it leaves on my face. No matter how much I try and blend it away I can never get rid of it completely.

I may experiment with using this powder with a coloured translucent powder and see if it fares better.

Definitely worth a try if you have oily skin and your skin is on the fairer side.

on 11/12/2013 7:24:00 AM

Pros: Gives a glow to your face. This 3525088187is because it's designed to work with high def cameras to bring out your face in photographs
It is inexpensive
It is easy to use sparingly

Cons: Could be a smaller packaging with a little more product. Should come with a kabuki type brush rather than a powder puff applicator.

I apply this lightly over my powder foundation.
I will definitely repurchase this!!!

For my oily male skin, this powder has become A MUST.
The Corrective Yellow shade works better if you have yellow undertones or have redness you need to neutralize. Don't be too quick to put it aside before finding the appropriate technique and a suitable brush. When applied right on top of my moisturizer it settled into pores and caked under my eyes. It was even worse during the summer time.

First, if your skin is oily this will not replace a mattifying powder. My makeup use doesn't include foundation or concealer. I simply apply moisturizer, let it dry, then apply some talc powder to remove shine. After my matte blush and bronzer I finish up with this to hold them in place and add a soft focus effect. The talc powder also prevents this from being over-applied. The HD silica bind in-between the talc, filling up the spaces and looking very natural. While I'm not sure about its oil absorption abilities, it certainly delays the appearance of shine. The blotting paper will still absorb the usual amount, but I don't have to blot as much.

You do need a good brush. I use the Body Shop Slanted Kabuki and it's great, but any other dense fluffy brush would work just fine. Some people recommend cutting the plastic partially. Instead, I simply block the whole surface with the brush, turn it upside down, side to side, then back up. Then I swirl the brush against the sides of the sifter to distribute the product. It helps if the bristles are dark because you can see if the powder is not evenly distributed on the brush.

I heard that the original MUFE powder is more finely milled and I might give it a try. But honestly I haven't felt the need to so far, and I actually prefer the packaging of the ELF one. The sifter area is deep and large I can nicely fit my large kabuki. The shape of the container is very chic in my opinion and happens to resemble a few CHANEL products ;P. NYX HD Studio Finishing Powder might indeed be of better quality but comes only in white.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Love this for setting my foundation. Yes, it is a tad colored and makes me white, but I apply bronzer and blush after so no big deal there. The price can't be beat for such a large container of powder- much cheaper than MUFE's small container of HD powder. It's so finely milled and soft that my face feels sooo smooth after applying. The container is very messy, though, and can't be tossed around or anything otherwise BEWARE- you will have a giant explosion of powder when you open it. Overall, love the product, but change up the container so nothing spills everywhere and the product gets wasted.

on 10/17/2013 7:45:00 PM

I don't get the hype with translucent "HD" powders. Yes this powder is finely milled and the quality looks great, but I'm an NW20 and this product leaves a pale, grayish cast on my face, no matter how little I use or how well I blend. I tried to use this as an under eye setting powder, but it made my eyes itch. I can't really comment on the oil control or staying power because I always had to top off my face with my normal loose powder just to warm up the cold look this product gave me. I give up on this powder, but I would love to try the "corrective yellow" shade, but it never seems to be in stock on ELF's website.

on 10/14/2013 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Comparable to Makeup forever HD powder. I use it as a finishing powder on my entire face & over my eyeshadow. I suggest storing it flat, like all other powders pretty much, or you'll end up with a powdery mess. For $6 you can't go wrong. Live this stuff!

on 10/13/2013 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Tried using it as a setting powder, it does not prolong the wear of your foundation, it leaves a white very powdery look when applied, doesn't blur anything just looks like you have smothered yourself in talcum powder, thrown mine out, rendered useless. Good value if it works for you. Comes in sifter container with puff.

on 10/13/2013 12:34:00 AM

I hate the packaging. It's hard to use. the applicator it comes with sucks. I dump it upside down to get a little powder above the sifter then use a fluffy brush to apply it. I can't use this if I want to be in pictures because it looks white and uneven in pictures. I don't know why everyone loves this crap. I think it was $6 at target. I have a love hate relationship with elf products. most of them are crap you get what you pay for. I will try it again and see if I can use it with different foundation with better results.

on 9/30/2013 3:52:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product is pretty phenomenal. It does its job and that is about all I can say. The only downfall is that mine tendst to have chunks in it. its not as smooth at the MUFE version. But for the drastic difference in price I'm willing to overlook that.

I adore this product for setting undereye concealer & to give my powder foundation a flawless finish & blur imperfections. I love this for under the eyes, it's very light & nicely brightens them up. I find any other powders to just cake up, which can lead to crepe like undereyes (not a good thing at age 22) ..... After I set my foundation with a powder, I lightly dust this all over the face, it literally makes your skin look airbrushed. I had a person approach me in the mall & ask what I was using as foundation- I credit this product 100% :) Elf has really impressed me, as well as other inexpensive brands. I haven't purchased a thing from MAC in months. I highly suggest this product. I haven't tried it as a setting powder on it's own, but I will in the future ( although I'm sure it's great for that purpose as well) a great find, & for $6.00 ($3.00 for me since I purchased it during a half sale) what a steal :)