e.l.f. Cosmetics High Definition Powder

e.l.f. Cosmetics High Definition Powder

4.1

Sheer: Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Sodium Dehydroacetate

did absolutely nothing for my skin. just sat on top of it, didn't control oil, didn't do anything at all. didn't really make me look better either, just sat on my skin and made it look powdery and dry even when applied with a light hand.

on 12/14/2015 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

While I don't have the world's driest skin, I have a problem with things looking dry on it. I also need to really set my face considering I wear a lot of sunscreen and then foundation on top.

PROS: It's white. Say what you want, but being pale, I don't want "transparent" powders with a tint. The undertone is off and I don't need something else than can oxidize. White helps keep your foundation the right tone. The powder is finely milled and smooth, almost slippery feeling.

CONS: This is not for dry skin. It looks powdery, even after trying to blend it a lot. I'm not sure if it's my foundation, this powder, or that COSRX moisturizer which isn't working out as well as it did intially in the long run, but my skin is looking dry and cake. This powder is really not helping either, it is really shine free and it keeps it that way for hours (break down is another story). I find matte powders like this only good on my skin when it's bare or has extremely low coverage products, with foundation or anything else it looks really bad. It's easy to overdo this powder.

OTHER: Really blend it. It can leave grains on the face and the puff is comes with can lay it on super heavy unless you really work it into the puff first.

I can't decide between giving it 1 star or two stars.

I was pleasantly shocked by this product. For only $6 I didn't really have high hopes. I just bought this because I needed something to set my liquid foundation. But this stuff applied super soft and sheer and totally blurred any pores or fine lines. I wouldn't recommend this to tanner individuals because I can tell it does do a bit of lightening, but I like it.

on 11/30/2015 1:18:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I've been using this powder for as long as I can remember, I think this is my 4th or 5th one that I'm using. It is not a sheer product like the name. This product has coverage. It's a light beige color. This is not a very fine translucent powder it will look cakey on the skin if you apply too much. This can get heavy and streaky when you use it with the puff that it comes with. I take the puff out when I get a brand new one. I tap off some of the powder into the lid part. Then I take a regular powder brush and load some powder on it and tap off the excess. I use a light layer of this on my face on top of foundation because if I use too much it can look too pink and it sort of just sits on my skin and looks unnatural. So I've found out that less is more with this powder. It does keep me matte for about 6 hours after that I have to retouch my face. Its ok for the most part it does its job. I'm not a fan of the packaging its way too bulky for the amount you get which is .35oz/10g. Its not very travel friendly its big but its sturdy I'll give it that. It won't spill because it has a screw on lid. If I lost this or ran out I think I would repurchase it. I would recommend this product if you want a powder with some coverage that's not very heavy on the skin. I would recommend to use with a brush because it gives a better finish.

on 11/29/2015 9:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I know I'm the minority opinion here (but not the only one) but I just found this kind of eh. I bought it because of a big sale they had and wanted to get up to free shipping. Plus I don't have a setting powder so why not. I also got the 'beige/sheer' powder (the one that's marketed as SPF) which I liked better. But then it turned out in sunlight it was too dark and too pink based. Well I'd say this is ok but I like it a little less than ok. I don't hate it. And I love how it's finely milled, but I do have a white cast left over, even when I use just a little. I sort of like that it's white since pale girls need almost white for like under eye or highlight, so that's what I stick to with this. But I couldn't in good concience recommed this to a medium or darker toned person and say it's 'translucent'. It's not.

It's also not like an oil absorbing white/setting powder. I'm sure if I swipe it on while oily it would mattify a bit, but it's not quite enough for that (and especially would leave white behind). I recently tried this over sunscreen but before makeup to keep the makeup less greasy, and it seemed ok. Best use of it so far. Not something I'd go out of my way to get but I might use it up that way. Other than that, I occasionally use this like their under eye white setting powder (and I could probably make a bet that it's the same thing) but it's not something I do often. So no, I wouldn't repurchase it and if a friend wanted it, I'd prob give it to them. I won't throw it away though, just because.

Ugh Just tried it again all over and I forgot how dead it made me look. Going to look for a friend to gift it too (for both of these). I completely forgot about the after suncreen use because I never do it. Too cakey/too much effort.

on 11/25/2015 11:31:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a decent powder. But since it's and HD powder, you need to use a very light hand. Or you can do what I do and that's buffing a pressed FLESH TONED powder over your face. Not only does that eliminate the flash back for me, but it helps to further blend my makeup.

The packaging can be a bit messy. But it can be remedied by replacing the skimpy puff it comes with, with a fluffier one from a beauty supply store. Or just being careful not to be so willy nilly when sticking a brush in the container.

There are no claims for oil control. But I dont find myself overly shiny with this either. For the price, one could try it out without the guilt of spending a larger sum. I've lost and replaced this powder 2x. But I dont ever actually see myself running out of it lol

on 11/24/2015 11:07:00 PM

I use this product to set my under eyes and I love that it makes my skin feel softer and helps prevent creasing. BUT I used it for homecoming pictures and when I got all my pictures taken with flash back my under eyes had the WORST flashback and it looked like I painted it white. DO NOT RECCOMMEND due to the horrible flashback in photos.

on 11/22/2015 4:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

on 11/21/2015 11:29:00 PM

Hey its cheap! But it is the most disgusting powder I have ever used during my lifetime. This product sucks! I tried applying this over my face and it makes you look so cakey and horrible, I only use it to matify my lipstick and thats all! Horrible horrible product. Would not recommend at all, please listen to me and dont buy this. Also I never write reviews but for this I did. I used this product once and had to remove off all my makeup and try again, absolutely horrible.

on 11/19/2015 7:49:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This is maybe not an HG, but definitely my current go-to and has been for a while. I'm aware of the dangers of HD powder with flash photography, but I blink any time flash is involved, so no matter what I do, the picture is ruined anyway. That being said, I've personally never seen it show up in photos, but I'm also on the paler side of the spectrum. It's definitely less intensely white than Make Up For Ever's HD powder. One complaint would be that the container is very large and therefore difficult to travel with, and the product dispenses too generously. I could do with a lot less coming out all at once. As for usage, I always toss the powder puff that comes with it and use a brush with a very light hand. A little seems to go a long way and I like the way it feels a silky on my skin. I like that it's translucent so it doesn't change the color of my foundation. Though not intended as a setting powder, this works great for setting my foundation and blending my makeup as well as providing light-duty oil control throughout the day.