e.l.f. Cosmetics High Definition Powder

e.l.f. Cosmetics High Definition Powder

4.1

Sheer: Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Sodium Dehydroacetate

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

4.5 stars
I bought this in Sheer over a year ago and use it regularly, and I still have well over half left. So you definitely get your money's worth with this product. Also, it's so finely milled that it doesn't get that weird shimmery or cakey look that some of the more expensive HD powders can get.

I knocked off a half star because it does get messy when it collects around the edges of the lid due to the way its packaged, and it can also be super easy to over apply.

* In order to not over apply this, I dip a brush into the powder and shake off the excess product into the lid. Then I use a DIFFERENT brush to swirl inside the lid and pick up just enough to swipe over my face lightly. This method prevents me from looking like a clown, and works like a charm with other loose powders as well. :)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is such a good setting powder for oily skin. A majority of the time, I like to bake my face just to reassure that my makeup is set since I do have oily skin. The price is amazing for the amount of product you receive and how well it works. I recommend this product for those who are starting out with makeup or don't want to pay a lot of money for other setting powders sold at Sephora.

on 3/5/2016 7:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I generally use this powder for baking (undereyes, eyelids, around mouth area, between eyebrows) so my foundation doesnt crease. I use maybellines fit me foundation. I really like this powder for day time/everyday use. But DO NOT use if you are going to be taking flash photos, you will have a white cast appear. And the puff thing that comes with it, i dont use it with this loose powder but the days i dont feel like baking i just want to powder my face. Ill take my Stay Matte powder by rimmel and use the puff to press the powder onto my face.

on 3/2/2016 4:19:00 PM

This powder has a really nice, fine texture, and comes with an excellent powder puff (one with a ribbon on the back to stick your fingers through—I use it for other powders.) The lid screws on, which is nice for travel, or to prevent losing it all when you knock it off the table, but it makes it harder to get the product back into the main jar after tapping your brush off into the lid. Overall, I'm impressed with it for the price.

on 2/21/2016 10:14:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This works good! It sets my under eye and I like it for the price however it leaves the more horrific white cast in flash photography. Wear this during the day but if you are going anywhere at night where you will be photographed steer clear. Other than that it's still great for daily use

on 2/20/2016 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I bought this loose powder last year and have been using it ever since. I really love the way this sets my foundation without leaving it looking cakey or powdery. This is a super finely milled powder and it appears white in the container, but it goes on transparent and does not leave a white chalky look to your skin.This goes on silky smooth and after buffing this in, it feels like natural skin. I can't even tell I'm wearing powder this is so light on the skin! It sets my makeup and looks natural on. It does not cover blemishes but it isn't designed to do that anyway. I use a fluffy powder brush to apply this and have never tried the powder puff that comes inside. That little puff is necessary though as I was going to throw it away since I don't use it anyway, but once you put the lid back on and then store this, any movement will disperse the superfine powder through the holes and then you have a mess when you remove the lid for the next use. I discovered that the first time so the powder puff went right back in to keep the powder in the bottom of the container. I've never used the puff for actual application as it just seems like it would apply the powder much too heavily. I don't know though and that is just my opinion. I use this for an everyday natural look and I really like the way it works. It looks natural and not powdery and dry. I have mature skin so I have to be careful with powders as they are not all alike. I like this powder so well, that I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is my first experience with an HD powder, and it's alright. There are definitely some issues with it, like the fact that it's not as finely milled as it could be. I see some big chunks sometimes mixed in. The packaging is bulky, but I can live with it so long as I don't have to travel with it, and I don't travel much at this time. I usually use this as an all over setting powder so that my foundation stays in place by doing the swirl, tap, buff method I used for many years with BareMinerals foundation. I put that I would purchase this again, but I may be on the lookout for a better setting powder once I run out of this. Can't beat the price though.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

GIRLS. This product is amazing. Not for face, but for LIPS.
I use it on my lipstick after i apply any normal lipstick and it turns matte! It makes ANY lipstick feel like liquid matte formula.dont be afraid of the white, it really does turn translucent.
It makes my lips pretty much last ALL DAY without getting on my teeth. Its so amazing and i hated the drying formula of some liquid lipsticks but this feels so great.
I was like you guys before, i used this on my face and hated it.
But after i discovered it for this use, i will NEVER be without it. It gives my older lipsticks a chance to used again!

Bottom line:
Use to set lipstick to turn matte.

Love, love, love!!!! OK so this is really inexpensive, but wow, is it good! My foundation is quite oily due to the high level of sunscreen in it. I needed a powder that I could apply lightly to mattify the overall look. Anyway, this cost me $13 Australian and you get a lot of powder for the money. The powder itself looks very white in the tub, but applies translucent. I use this on my forehead, nose and chin. I also apply a dusting just prior to applying eye makeup so that I can dust it off along with any eye makeup specks. I have one complaint. They really need to design a container that you can completely close off so that no powder escapes. This is so fine that powder will go everywhere if you are not careful. One small shake of the container sends out way too much powder. Many powders now have lids that can be turned to cover the holes and this powder desperately needs this. This is an absolute bargain for the price. I will definitely repurchase.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I'm honestly not a fan. But to be fair... I own the Makeup Forever version & that's not "holy grail" worthy to me either.

Here are the pros:
-Very fine powder
-A little goes a long way
-Did keep me matte for half a day

Cons:
-The packaging is god awful...I have lost half of this merely to opening the damn jar.
-Offers no extra coverage (obviously)
-Despite using a minimal amount, I get the dreaded white cast look. And I'm SUPER pale...I can't imagine this looking okay on anyone tanner than NC15. I'm NC10/super pale leaning warm/neutral.
-It is a tiny bit cakey, especially after it melts into my pizza-face.
-My ultimate favorite setting powder is Coty Airspun, ELF did not out preform it by any means. Coty keeps me matte ALL DAY, adds extra coverage, gives a final polishing look to my foundation,
-Since my sebum wasn't kept completely at bay, I could feel little whiteheads pop up days later. :(
-ELF adds more dimethicone than MUFE's $$$ version. It is a cost reduction strategy but unfortunately shows in quality comparison.

I won't repurchase.