Bobbi Brown Chrome Eyeshadow in Pewter

Chrome Eyeshadow in Pewter

4.9

on 12/4/2009 10:42:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

HOLY CRAP ! This shadow is absolutely awesome ! Thank you Di for telling me over and over just how much you love this. I finally broke down and got it and wow am I ever glad I did. If you like Mac Pigments or shadows with shimmer/frost/ etc. you will LOVE this. Not to say it's frosty or shimmery--it's not. It's a finish like none other. "Chrome" IS a great word for it. It looks so "expensive" on the lid ! So professional and gorgeous. And it lasts all day long-(( -but then, ALL my shadows last all day when I have my trusty Painterly Paint Pot on underneath, as I always do. )) Ladies you better not wait --go get this shadow now before they're all gone since it is LE. I am off to buy the gold one and my forever generous pal Diane is sending me the Silver so I'll have them all ! Oh how I hope BB does some other colors in this finish. Wow--I will be in big trouble, but the good kind of trouble. LOL I hope you all at least try this--I don't think you'll be disappointed--this is HG stuff gals !!!

on 11/23/2009 11:15:00 PM

I adore this eyeshadow! It makes you look like a million dollars. It adds the perfect amount of shimmer without looking frosty gross. It works for everyday and can easily be jazzed up for night. With the holidays approaching this is a must have!! HG for me for sure! Please do not make this limited edition Bobbi!

on 11/13/2009 8:39:00 PM

Nice semi metallic finish when lightly applied but buildable to an obvious metallic finish. Colour is hard to describe but closest I can describe is a light silvery taupe.

For comparison purposes BB Chrome Pewter (right) is lighter and a slightly different tone than MAC Smoke & Diamonds (left).

JONZ continued >>

on 10/22/2009 4:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

The Pewter Chrome eyeshadow is part of the BB Holiday Collection launched in October '09. The chrome finish is new, so far there are three shades available as limited edition items: Pewter, Silver and Gold. The shade Pewter has also been released in late summer '09 as part of a Nordstrom Exclusive Set (see my separate review on Pewter Metallic). Since I was instantly in love with Pewter Metallic I was excited to try a shade by the same name in a different finish.
Color and Finish: A silvery taupe with metallic sheen (I have added a photo above). The metallic sheen is really beautiful and definitely noticeable. I still found this finish subtle enough for daytime when I paired with a neutral eyeliner (I used BB Mahogany Ink) and a matte medium shade in the crease (I used Flint, a matte greyisch taupe). So don't expect the Chrome finish to be like foiled eye shadow or a molten metal look on your lids. The consistency is wonderful, soft and blendable and stays on well without noticeable fallout. For evening, I have dressed up Pewter with BB Rock Shimmerwash and Gunmetal Shimmerwash in the crease/outer corner and Caviar Ink gel eyeliner. I like that the color is somewhat neutral but at the same time it has enough interesting nuances that can be nicely enhanced with different complementing shades. Adding grey will make it cooler, adding gold and bronze will warm it up, both without clashing with the Pewter.
Packaging: Sleek compact with transparent flip top lid, fits in the BB customizable palettes. The Chrome series shadow pan has a silvery frame whereas the classic BB pans are all black.
Comparing Pewter Chrome and Pewter Metallic: Although very similar, the two shades are not identical. The Pewter Metallic is a tad browner than Pewter Chrome which is more silvery and has very little brown. Please see my profile photos for a comparison with swatches. Consistency of the two is similar, Pewter Metallic is definitely one of the best BB Metallic shades as it is soft and it blends well (I found some Metallics a bit gritty), and Chrome has the same great consistency.
Overall: Very beautiful shade which should be a permanent part of the line, just for the color alone. It could be made into a Shimmerwash for instance in case BB wanted to keep the Chrome finish as limited edition. Pewter is quite unique colorwise and BB currently has no similar shades. I really like this and will gladly repurchase.
Price: $22.

on 10/22/2009 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Yessssss!!! Bobbi Brown finally put out another new eyeshadow that I actually LOVE! There are 3 new Chrome Eyeshadows, all LE, so you'd better hunt them down now before they are gone! (I have experienced this with BB LE items... once they are gone, they are almost impossible to find, unless you want to pay an arm & a leg on ebay.) Anyway, about this new eyeshadow... calling it "chrome" is a bit of an exaggeration. This eyeshadow formula is what all the BB metallic eyeshadows *should* be, but are not. I would describe this as having more of a metallic finish, maybe even like a shimmery satin- but not quite a frost. Also, no HORRID GLITTER to speak of! (YAY!!!)
The color is unique to my collection. The BB website describes it as a "cool bronze metallic," but on (and in) my eyes... I see it as a silvered taupe. Simply stunning! This would look GORGEOUS on pale-blue-eyed lasses for sure! I have hazel eyes (muted green/brown), and this one is a winner for me. I wore this on the lid with MAC Coquette in the crease- but I am sure you can wear almost any darker color in the crease and have this eyeshadow work its magic for you. It really is THAT pretty! Also, don't be scared by the word "chrome" in the description. This will NOT look like molten, shiny, metal on your lids... which makes it perfect for daytime wear, too. This is one color that BB should consider making permanent, because I just find it so unique and pretty. I swore off buying backups, but if I make a dent in this and ever see it in a CCO... I would DEFINITELY buy another!