Essie Chinchilly

Essie Chinchilly
ChinchillyChinchillyChinchillyChinchilly

4.6

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really had high expectations with this nail polish after reading such great reviews here and elsewhere. Seemed to apply streaky and really showed it up until the third coat. Dried fairly quickly. As far as the color goes...I'm hoping that it grows on me. I'm not in love with it right now. I thought that the 'cement gray' would look good on my short-medium length square nails but for some reason, my usually graceful looking digits are looking rather stumpy after applying this color. Anyways...like I said, I'll see if the color grows on me.
As of right now, I personally would not repurchase this.

on 11/28/2010 9:09:00 PM

I fell in love with gray nail polish ever since I tried one on from MAC a few years ago. However, it was a bit pricey and I tried to search for a more affordable alternative and none came close but Essie's Chinchilly. It's the perfect gray because it's GRAY. not silvery, not purple-ish, just gray. It may be neutral, but it is in no way dull. It's super chic and sophisticated and perfect for autumn or winter. It's fool-proof enough for a simple DYI manicure. I'm really bad with doing my own nails and it often turns out streaky but Chinchilly's formula is smooth and goes on very evenly.

One of my favorite nail polish shades!

on 11/8/2010 7:18:00 PM

I've had this for a while and forgotten how beautiful it is. Nice grey-ish brown with some purpley hue to it. Very chic. In fact, it reminds me of a lighter Metro Chic from OPI.

on 10/22/2010 7:43:00 PM

Hair: Other, Other, Medium

I think Chinchilly is meant to be a grey with a tinge of green/lilac running through it. However on me its just a flat grey. I initially bought it as I thought it showed up a little duochromatic in many swatches. I was also looking for a darker shade of grey like OPI's You Don't Know Jacques. My idiosyncracies aside, I do think this is a very nice nail varnish if you are looking for a neutral grey. I like the formula very much, although I needed three coats to make this opaque enough. I also think Essie polishes are very reasonably priced. It looks nice on me; its just not what I was going for.

on 10/21/2010 2:04:00 PM

This is the perfect gray polish. I'm not a huge nail polish person, but have totally been into the gray craze. I wasn't too impressed by all the purple-taupe and slate shades out there (Sally Hansen Commander in Chic, Sally Hansen Concrete, Rimmel Steel Grey, Maybelline Gray-T Glamor, etc.). Chinchilly is a true gray - not too light, not too dark, no muddiness, and no competing shades underneath that change it under different lighting. Some of the reviews below state that this is a lilac-gray, but I disagree. If you want a "greige" or lilac-taupe-slate gray, Concrete and Steel Grey are good options. This formula is a little on the sheer side - it needs a good 2-3 coats for true opacity, but once it's on, perfection.

on 9/23/2010 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

First things first: I hate Essie's packaging because it's NEVER an accurate portrayal of the color inside. It usually ends up being a couple of shades darker with a different hue to it. OPI breaks my nails like nothing else, so when I see Essie and OPI next to each other in the drugstore, I'm always tempted to reach for the OPI derivative of what I want, but I refrain since I know I'll regret it when half my nail comes off it's nail bed a week later (yes, it happens much too often with OPI for me).
Second: I still love Essie, though. Some may say it's not as good as Chanel- and I don't care. I don't have the money for Chanel and I'm paying for my nails to stay good looking for a week- not a month. I still prefer Sally Hansen to any other brand, but Essie's colors make my mouth water (and nor do they break my nails or my bank).
Chinchilly is a BEAUTIFUL, sophisticated unsaturated grey with lilac undertones. It's not too dark or light and it's the perfect neutral color to kick off the dimmer skies and darker color palettes of Fall.
If you're a warm, neutral, or cool undertones gal this color will suit any of you. I was so surprised at just how sophisticated it looked.
If you want a darker option of this, take a look at Mink Muffs! It's <3.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I actually have no idea why I bought this... it was a totally random buy. I was drawn to it somehow because gray is a staple in my wardrobe (I really like my neutrals), but on my nails, that's usually the place where I like to do color. The polish is good quality though. I have issues with the brush because the handle is a bit hard to handle with me so I have to be a bit more careful, but I can deal with it. I very rarely use this color. A person who's maybe a bit older who's a bit more edgy might be able to pull it off better. I do like using it on weekends though when I can go out and be a bit more fashionable than I am at school.

on 8/3/2010 2:53:00 PM

Lovely grey colour with a hint of purple. Really flattering, very good formula. LOVE IT!

on 7/19/2010 9:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other

My favorite grayish taupe. Buying a second bottle while it's still widely available.

on 5/15/2010 8:55:00 PM

The problem with this color is the simple fact that it doesn't look good on everyone's skin. It's just not flattering on some skin tones and makes you look dead rather than alive. But if it's good on your skin wear it because it's a fabulously different color! I gave mine to my best friend.