Sunday Riley Good Genes

Sunday Riley Good Genes

3.6

NV-5 Ageless Complex (Opuntia Tuna Fruit (Prickly Pear) Extract, Cyripeedium Pubescens (Lady’s Slipper Orchid) Extract, Opuntia Tuna Fruit, Opuntia Vulgaris (Cactus) Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract & Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (Yeast) Extract), Lactic Acid, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Butylene Glycol, Squalene, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, PPG-12/SMDI Copolymer, Stearic Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol and Ceteareth 20, Glyceryl Stearate and PEG-100 Stearate, Arnica Extract, PEG-75 Meadowsol, Glycyrrhiza Glabra Extract, Lemongrass Extract, Triethanolamine, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Steareth-20, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, DMDM Hydantoin.

on 11/2/2016 10:53:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

I had heard so much about this on Youtube but I didn't get much in the way of results. My skin was perhaps a tiny bit brighter but I didn't notice anything significant. It didn't hurt or irritate, but this is expensive to get minimal results. For reference I have dry sensitive skin with some fine lines. Would not repurchase.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

Smells nice, makes the skin really smooth; however, it breaks me out. Not a repurchase for me. I do like that it's a cream not a greasy serum.

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

I got a deluxe sample of this hyped product, it worked okay but the price is very prohibitive for what it is. I use a MUAC lactic acid facial scrub every few nights and use their lactic acid peel once a week and got better results and its a ton cheaper.
Won't be purchasing SR products, over hyped and over priced.

on 10/23/2016 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

So disappointed in this product. It is a very waxy cream that just sits on my skin. The lemongrass scent is very strong which I find very unnecessary- SR puts a lot of essential oils and extracts into her products that only make them smell like they are organic and high end but I think they just irritate my skin (not sensitive skin BTW). At first when I used this I woke up with soft skin. But then I started to have some breakouts that I normally never have. My skin would get very dry during the day when I usually just use a light moisturizer. It would flush easily- it was very irritated. I tried backing down on usage down to 1-2x per week but it just wasn't going to work. I stopped using it and my issues cleared up. I think SR skincare is totally overrated and overpriced. The packaging is pretty and everyone thinks it is so unique because of trendy things like blue oils and green toners. It's really just dye that is added into the oils and serums- look at the ingredient list. It's nothing special. Save yourself some money and mix your own oils. SR is a great woman and I admire her for going after what she wants but just because she has a chemistry degree does not mean that she is qualified to tell you how to treat your skin.

on 9/3/2016 6:47:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This has replace my PTR glycolic gel as my nightly "exfoliant". First the price of this serum is disgustingly expensive. However I don't need a full pump to cover my face and neck. (maybe 1/2 a pump at most) The smell is pretty stinky. I originally was planning to use during my last pregnancy as lactic acid is safe, but due to the stinky smell I had to take a break. Now I'm back to using it again and love what it does for my skin. Over time fixes any texture issues, no more rough patches. I also had a patch of melasma on my cheek from pregnancy and that has nearly resolved as well.

I have also tried it as a mask. I cant stand using 3-4 pumps of a pricey serum just to wash it off 20 minutes later. But the times I have done it, skin is left super soft.

Highly recommended if you have the money. Luxury skin care.

on 8/9/2016 2:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

About me - sensitive skin prone to hormonal break outs, hyper-pigmentation, and black heads/enlarged pores around my t-zone. When I say sensitive, I mean it. The hyper-pigmentation is a big thing for me and it doesn't take much for my skin to turn 50 shades of red.

Details - as mentioned, the product comes in fairly nice packaging. In my experience, this is the nicest part about the product. It is a pump which means it is more hygienic and I feel it helps to lengthen the life span of the product. It is lactic acid which means it smells kind of like rancid milk mixed with lemon. A lot of other users said it smelled like lemon, well, I in no way have a sensitive nose and am telling you it doesn't smell like lemon only - it definitely has some other scent tones to it and they aren't very pleasant. Because of the scent I only used this product at night before bed.

Experience - now, I am going to start with the fact that initially, this product blew me away. The first time I used it, I applied it as a moisturizer and guffawed as my redness completely dissipated. Not to mention little blemishes and pores. I remember staring at myself and thinking 'so this is what model fresh skin looks/feels like!' I was in love. Really. I could get over the smell that reminded me of my 4th grade field trip (don't ask) and I could get over the slight sting to the formula, I could get over anything with my skin looking so good. THEN tragedy struck. I don't know what happened. I went through a bit of the bottle and I started seeing these huge cystic pimples start to take over my face. I mean massive - to an alarming extent. I wouldn't believe - couldn't believe that my beloved good genes was doing this to my skin. It had worked so beautifully before, no way could it be harming my skin! But the cystic pimples started getting worse and worse. Finally, after the bottle was almost empty, I took a break from Good Genes.

Well, that was it. Within a few days of stopping good genes my pimples started to clear up. Although the hyper-pigmentation was back the pimples had diffused and no longer did it look like I was sporting bug bites on my face. I am not going to lie, I was pretty devastated. My good friend was in love with the stuff and it worked great for her too, however, she too saw her pimples turning into cystic mountains and now only uses it around certain times of the month. She still swears by it - but as a mask that she doesn't use too frequently. So that's that, two people with different skin types both experiencing painful and irritating cystic pimples due to the use of this shtuff.

Price - it isn't the worst but it certainly doesn't make sense to me. With my experience I certainly won't purchase again. But as other users have said, there are cheaper versions of this stuff out there. Take a trip to your local Korean beauty store/website and you will find some pretty comparable dupes. Just saying.

Overall, not impressed with this product in the long-run.

on 8/4/2016 7:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought this product because I love to exfoliate and have understood that lactic acid, unlike glycolic acid, is more gentle and has more sustainable results long-term. I also wanted to address dullness, hyper pigmentation, texture, and fine wrinkles that are rather easy to soften with good quality products. I was sorely disappointed. I used an entire bottle of this and after seeing almost no results I have come to the conclusion that something in the ingredients is making this product ineffective OR it is simply not strong enough for my resistant, light olive skin type. Apparently it has a low ph but I saw virtually no reduction in any of my concerns. This is also marketed as a 40% concentration which is laughable seeing at how a basic lactic acid peel from almost any vendor gives MUCH more drastic results. And you can get those for under 20$ from vendors like MUAC. The serum itself is also annoying because there is no way to comfortably wear it with other skincare products. It's very tacky & very lemony (and as research points out, irritating) I went through this quickly. The only pros are that you can use this as a 10-20 minute mask and the packaging is rather beautiful (although mine shattered because it's glass)

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

It took one day to see a little bit of results from this. Didn't irritate my skin and my skin looked nice after. I use this 3 days on and then I take a break and rotate in another serum and moisturizer from another line. I definitely recommend.

on 7/18/2016 7:12:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have been trying this off and on for about 3 weeks. On my skin, which up to this point I did not think too sensitive, it burned. A hot prickly itchy burn......I have tried it with Luna as well, not as bad a reaction, but still ichy.....hmmmm. It is still early days, I will try it out 2x per week.....

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

If I was a total baller I would slather this stanky treatment on forever. Alas, I will try other lactic acid serums for those of us who aren't Greenwich in search of the glow.