Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

on 2/17/2012 6:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I paid $3.99 for a tube of 6N - 6.0 Ion Color Brilliance Intensive Shine Demi (Dark Natural Blonde) from Sally Beauty and used the recommended "sensitive scalp developer" level 10, neutral protein filler pre-color treatment, and ion effective care treatment post-color.

My hair is naturally about a level 6 brown. It's fairly neutral (more on the golden side if anything). Naturally curly, slightly dry, shoulder length. And, I have some grey--mostly up front, but somewhat hidden.

After doing the recommended strand test and selecting 40 minutes to be my ultimate processing time (based on the results of the strand test and my desire to go a little darker), I ended up processing for 45 minutes because of an unexpected interruption.

I followed up the shampoo with the conditioning treatment, leaving it in for 20 minutes.

Result: absolutely amazing. I love this color and this product. This was my first ever diy hair coloring experience. Normally, I spend well over $100 downtown. I'd recommend this product in a heartbeat.

I'm crossing my fingers that the color won't fade too quickly -- if it does, I'll come back and follow up.

Full story about my first-ever DIY dye can be found in My Notepad on this site--including photograph.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Oooo! Went on easily (I always do the brush and bowl method), rinsed out easily, hair still felt soft afterward. Right now it's 2.5 weeks later. The color faded a hair (yar har) after the first couple of washings, which was/is expected. Since then it's been holding very well. Lighter in color but still very golden-y, which is what I was looking for. I am surprised!

I have blugh colored hair (anyone who has this not-brown, not-blonde shade knows exactly what I mean) and I used the 7W-7.7 medium golden blonde knowing the colors come out a bit on the dark side, with 10v developer (also Ion). It came out light to medium golden brown, probably a little closer to medium, and is now sort of sparkly golden caramel, mmm. I love the color. I will update after another week or two.

on 1/11/2012 6:42:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I think I've got the right combo down. I've got hair that's naturally a medium brown ash w/some lighter ash in it that's now got more greys than I'd like... for the past 2 years I've been trying to figure out how to hide them but keep my hair as natural as possible. I was very happy with the glaze I've been getting for the past year but unfortunately my hair keeps getting DARKER AND DARKER and it's just not what I want. I need to have a bit more control...I've added some highlights. and went w/Medium Ash Blonde, Medium Neutral Blonde equal parts Developer. 40 Minutes. Then I add Light Ash Blonde & Clear to the mix to pull thru the length for about 5 - 10 minutes. I tried the 25 minutes recommended and again 30 minutes (didnt cover greys either time), so the 40 mins works for me. The shine is INCREDIBLE, and my hair doesnt feel ravaged (and i didnt use a conditioner after rinsing). I don't wash my hair for a few days after I color...for me... it always seems to help when I leave my hair be for everything to settle before I wash it (I'll definitely go two days at least)!!! And for me, conditioning after coloring just seems to wash the color out & away.

on 12/28/2011 1:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I mixed two blondeish red shades together, despite having medium to dark hair. I've read you should always use a shade lighter than the color you want with demi permanent hair color. Unfortunately the developer has peroxide in it, so of course it's damaging. I only can tell when I shower though, and my hair is wet, before conditioner. It becomes a tangled mess, and feels coarse. Conditioner makes it feel normal, and once I style it, it's much shinier than it was before I dyed it. I've washed it 3 times and still see haircolor washing out. This was the messiest dye I've ever applied to my hair. By the way, my hair was completely virgin, I had dyed it in the past but let it grow out 6 years. It still got damaged, and of course the roots are brighter than the ends. I really want the color to fade, it's really vivid which I guess is a good thing, but looks so unnatural right now.

on 11/13/2011 5:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I gave this a shot after reading a ton of reviews and shelling out $90 a pop for 2 color treatments in 6 weeks both of which left me with my grays back in full force 2 weeks later. I can't afford to see my stylist every 2-3 weeks without filing for divorce & drug store touch up products gave me crap results. The reviews on here were VERY helpful Especially the specifics by Twiggy. TY! I have dark brown hair both naturally and after professional color and decided to go with the 5N and 6N she used in her photo but shorted the dark blond just a tad and added just a bit of the clear gloss for the 2ozs of color. I also added about 15 drops of the gray magic before mixing in 2ozs of the 10 developer for sensitive scalp and applied it all using the brush/bowl method starting at the roots. I combed everything through with a wide tooth comb after everything was covered to make sure my hair was evenly coated and waited 30 min. There was no bad smell during my wait and my scalp didn't burn or itch. While this did take forever to rinse out in the shower it did not stain my scalp or the areas I hit by mistake with the brush. I bought a sample packet of the Ion deep conditioner that the SA recommended but I wasn't impressed and added some Chi color care conditioner to my final rinse. I was surprised that after my first rinse my hair felt rougher than I expected but it felt and looked great after the conditioning and blow dry. The color came out the same rich deep brown I get in the salon and my grays were completely covered. If this lasts longer than 2 weeks and doesn't wreck my hair I may be able to go back to coloring every 2-3 months again. For all 3 colors, the developer, a color bowl and brush, a single use pack of gray magic and the conditioner I spent just over $20 and I still have color and developer left.
*Update* The day after trying this I washed and conditioned and my hair felt pretty roughed up. I've only had this experience using one other at home permanent hair color and I'm pretty surprised to get this kind of damage from a Demi. I don't want to knock off a lippie yet though because I did add a small amount of Gray Magic that I believe contains ammonia. That could be the problem. Also the Ion conditioner pack that the SA recommended was not specific to post color. Alcohol is the first 2 ingredients on the list and it looks and feels like vaseline. I should have checked before I bought but I was in a rush. My hair feels better after an overnight oil treatment. Since this delivered excellent color I may give this product a shot again but I'll leave out the Gray Magic and make sure I have a good after color conditioner to seal the hair cuticle and maybe give my hair a good pre- treatment before hand.

on 11/8/2011 5:36:00 PM

**UPDATE** I just wanted to update after I'd been using this for a few months. I now have the perfect combo of equal parts Shine/Clear, Dark Warm Brown, and Dark Warm Blonde, all mixed with an equal portion of 10 creme developer. I don't experience a lot of fadage, but I only wash my hair twice a week and I don't heat style a lot. I get so many compliments on the color (the dark brown overpowers the dark blonde, but I put dark blonde in because it gives me more red tones, which I like). I've already had two people dye their hair with the same stuff because they liked mine so much. My hair is also still healthy and I use this about once a month. I love it!

My hair type: Course texture, can get frizzy sometimes, fine hair but a lot of it, have been highlighting my dishwater hair for years, most recently lifted the overall color to a dark strawberry blonde. My ashy roots started coming in and it was a shocking contrast to the strawberry tones, so I wanted to make a change. I decided to try dying my hair dark at home! I decided to use a demi rather than a permanent because 1.) My hair tends to get matte and inky if I keep layering dye permanent dye on it 2.) I wanted it removeable if I decided i hated it and 3.) Less damaging.

For once in my life, I remember to check MUA before making my purchase. I knew that the blonde colors would be darker than the swatch. That being said - I wanted two tones and originally picked up the medium golden blonde and the light neutral blonde. Both were too light and were about the exact shade of my current hair.

Went back and exchanged for medium warm brown and dark warm blonde. I put the medium warm brown shade in the bottom half of my hair and I mixed the dark warm blonde up about 2 parts to 1 part medium warm brown. (both instances did about a 1:1 with 10V developer). Finished applying, and I'm pretty happy with the result!

I did miss some spots but I had intended on going over the whole thing in about two weeks anyhow. The warm swatches show red pieces of hair - this is true, if you choose warm, you WILL get red. Sort of a burgundy undertone that people either love or hate. I love it. My hair overall ended up about the color of ESPN reporter Rachel Nichols.

UPDATE: 2 weeks have passed with 4 washings. It looks great still! Some of the red has faded a bit and it's more of a true chocolate now, very dynamic with some highlights and a glimmer of red. Shine has unfortunately faded a bit too. My hair just doesn't hold shine, ever. The color is fab though! I love it. I'n going to go over it with the dark blonde next week just to fill in. I might mix it with the clear stuff from ion.

I should note that I used the color seal product after I colored it as well as after the 3rd shampoo.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I bought this in light golden brown and it turned out dark dark brown lol it doesn't look bad I like it and I've gotten a lot of compliments already! I would use it and buy it again its $3.49 with your sallys card. I would suggest to becarful when choosing the color because they run dark but I'm sure you can keep washing it till you lighten it to the shade you like. Good product especially for the price.

OK so I know it annoys my hairstylist that I am no longer dropping $60-90 every 6 weeks on coloring my hair at my hair salon. I see her studying my hair, and I know she's dying to ask me what I'm using because my hair has never looked better! Sorry, but I grew tired of getting a red irritated scalp from every brand of permanent color that I've used (eg: aveda, redken, l'oreal) not to mention the sloppy/rushed way it was always applied, leaving me with a stained hair-line, and sometimes face..:( For reference my hair is colored single process dark brown with 10-15% gray, fine with lots of it, bra-strap length. I began using the ION Demi well over a year ago now. I mix 5N and 6N (50/50) with gray magic and 1:1 ratio - color to developer. The gray magic is the key for me, it allows me to go up to 6-7 weeks before grays start to come through. I purchased the color and supplies needed from my local Sally's for a 1/4 of the cost of getting it done at a salon. I usually do my roots every 6-7 weeks, and only pull the color through to the ends 3 to 4 times year. I will do an all over clear gloss shine if I need a boost, (Clairol makes a good one) I could afford to get my hair done in the salon, but if your like me, and want more control over the process, and healthier hair, this is the way to go.... Update: So the gray magic does dry out my hair a bit, (as noted above by another reviewer), I remedied this by adding 4-5 drops of my moroccanoil (light) to the color once mixed, I found out quite by accident that the manufacturer recommends it for this use, no more dry hair - problem solved :)

My hair has been all over bleached blonde for a couple of years and I'm tired of the washed out look. I decided to add some lowlights in with this product. I used a cap, pulled through some pieces and put on the Light Nuetral Blonde shade. I went with the nuetral because my hair already has lots of ash tones and really thought any more ash tone could turn it green! It came out pretty good for my first time trying lowlights! And talk about cheap.... I only used half the packages so I still have enough to use for another time. This is a good product. I have paid big $$ in the past for lowlights and for about $4 this is just fine. It will only get better as I practice with it.

I bought Dark Natural Blonde Demi to do my daughters hair..........it is fabulous!! She loves it and so do I! The shine, the ease...........amazingly simple!

For those of you that are chewing about their hair being too dark, it wasn't suppose to be that dark....think a little here......it will always be darker when you first do it. After 2-3 washes it will lighten up. If you have a very light hair colour and you want to be "brown", you don't choose "brown"...you choose a dark blonde......

For myself and my daughter...kudo's!!! By the way....I come from a hairdressing family. Mom, Dad, Aunts, Uncles, cousins....all in the business.......this is right up there with the $80-200 dollar salon colours!

Popular Hair Color Products