Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

Ion Color Brilliance - Demi Permanent Hair Color

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,ETHANOLAMINE ,LAURETH-3 ,SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE ,TOLUENE-2,5-DIAMINE SULFATE ,OLETH-5 PHOSPHATE ,DIOLEYL PHOSPHATE ,SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE ,GLYCERYL STEARATE SE ,FRAGRANCE ,BEESWAX ,SODIUM SULFITE ,SODIUM SULFATE ,RESORCINOL ,2-METHYLRESORCINOL ,EDTA ,LIMNANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL ,ERYTHORBIC ACID ,P-AMINOPHENOL ,M-AMINOPHENOL ,SIMETHICONE ,4-AMINO-2-HYDROXYTOLUENE ,GLYCERIN ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,2-AMINO-3-HYDROXYPYRIDINE ,TRITICUM VULGARE (WHEAT) GLUTEN ,LINALOOL ,CITRONELLOL ,GERANIOL

This product made me think that demi permanent hair color didn't work. I followed the instructions when I applied the 9NG to my hair and even left it on my hair for five extra minutes, but in the end I saw no color difference. Since my hair was shinier and it's quite cheap, I won't take away all the points, but it just didn't work for me. After switching to Wella's demi, I won't be retrying Ion's again. It's sad, because their 6RC looks beautiful.

on 12/31/2010 3:31:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I am 95% gray on top and have been struggling for years to find a brand of hair color that will hide my gray without leaving my hair feeling like straw, and my scalp sensitive. With all of the other brands, I was leaving color on my hair an extra 10 minutes (for it to take) so my ends were almost always turning black, even though I did not pull through the color till the last 10 minutes.
A Sally's consultant advised that I try a DEMI color that would be less damaging.

I tried the standard shade or two lighter than what I wanted and found that in this line - YOU NEED TO USE 3 LEVELS LIGHTER ! The colors are so much darker than labeled and they do not fade like all of the "permanent" lines I used to use.

That being said - you must start out much lighter than you think if this will be your first time using it.

I love that my scalp is happy now becuase I have extremely sensitive skin. Half of all the products I buy go in the trash after a few uses due to bad reactions.

I love the apple smell of the developer. My hair is in great condition. My hair comes out looking very good, rich colors and lost of shine. I also use this on my daughter with NO gray, and she mixes her Demi colors 50/50 with the ION Clear Color - just to give more shine and cut the color intensity down.

I like the professional Salon Revlon COLOR results (my favorite Salon line) as much as I like ION. So why not save money and do it myself?

When you are as gray as I am, the roots don't always HOLD their color. This is not noticeable at all after coloring. It looks good in the beginning, but by the time I am ready to redo my roots, I notice the hair that has only been colored once, has faded just a tiny bit. So I posted a picture of my hair right before coloring to show that next to my roots, the hair colored once is slightly lighter than the rest. By the second coloring, my hair does not fade any more. I had to pull all my hair up and take a picture at just the right angle to show this.

I am also posting a picture right after being colored so you can see how deep and shiny the color is.

I use a Medium Natural Blond with a 1/4 tube of Medium Warm Blond, in a 1:1 ratio with developer per instruction sheet for very gray hair. Notice how DARK my results are.

My hair comes to just below my ears. So If you have never used this line before and you are covering Gray - PURCHASE 2 Tubes !!! Otherwise, mixing a ratio of 1:2 will give you a total of 6 oz, probably enough to do hair to half way down the neck with one tube. But to be sure, I recommend always having 2 tubes of color.

on 12/12/2010 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This is really the best hair dye out there - permanent or demi. I have tried every dye out there including natural, organic, henna based, chemical, etc. I used this on a friends hair a couple of months ago in 8N light natural blonde mixed with a little of the lightest golden brown. She has medium to dark brown hair. The shine was incredible and it covered the few grays that she had and made them look like highlights.
I decided to use it on my hair b/c my highlights were fading and looking brassy and my new growth was coming in way more gray than i would have liked. I have dark blonde/light brown hair naturally and am about 25 percent gray. The gray is also kind of clustered in certain areas. Since my hair turns red/brassy no matter what, I was nervous to use anything but an ash color. But I needed to cover the grays, so I had to mix some natural in with the ash to try and get some coverage (the ash colors really won't cover the gray, they just tone the hair). I mixed 3/4 lightest Ash blonde 10A with 1/4 light natural blonde 8N. I left it on my roots for about 20 minutes and put conditioner on the ends of my hair so that they would not grab too much color. I also used the ion pre color spray treatment (really good stuff). I am blown away with the condition of my hair. It feels healthier than before (my hair is still quite damaged from too many highlights overlapping) and the color is just right. I probably could have left it on my roots a little longer for more gray coverage or maybe added some more of the 8N natural blonde, but everything just blends great. The ash toned my highlights slightly which is what I wanted. They are not too ashy or too warm, just look like natural highlights. Maybe next time I can try the 10N lightest natural blonde mixed with the 10A and leave it on longer. Overall, I am sticking to this brand of color for a long time, if not forever. I was really trying to use the all natural hair dyes, but they just are not working out for me. So, this no ammonia (but still chemical based one) is what I will be using. My hair does not look or feel like it was just dyed. It feels like my natural hair, only better!
UPDATE: I haven't used this in a while. I have been only highlighting my hair lately and it satrted to get just one color all over blonde and I started to look washed out. Add the multiplying gray hairs and it was not a good look. Took this out again this morning and mixed 3/4 8N Light natural blonde with 1/4 9A very light ash blonde. I wanted to tone the highlights, but also need to cover the grays. 1:1.5 ratio to the 10 vol. developer. WOW! My hair is in better shape than before i dyed it. I also used the ion pre color treatment and put conditioner on the ends of my hair so that they wouldnt grab too much color. The grays have been blended (although I think I should have left it on a little longer on the roots to get better coverage). I left it on 20 mins on the roots and then mixed with some water and pulled through to the ends. It is just so shiny and healthy looking. The blended grays at my roots look like highlights which is great. It didnt go too dark which I was afraid of and is why i rinsed off a little early. My roots just look like my natural haircolor growing in and my hair just gradually gets lighter towards the bottom. I may just use the natural and no ash on my roots next time and then mix some ash in just for a quick bush through at the ends to tone them. Whoohoo!
UPDATE AGAIN: I have been going a little more golden (eeks!) so I have been playing with other colors. Recently I used 10ng mixed with 8n. My grays are expanding and I need something that will cover them. This really made my hair shiny and golden without looking brassy or cheap. Just nice golden. Covered a lot of grays but not all. I left it on 40 minutes and used a 1:1 ratio to developer. This stuff also DOES lighten roots somewhat. No matter what, there is peroxide in the developer so left on long enough it does "break the base" of my roots. This way they r not so dark in comparison to the rest of my hair. This only happens though when I leave on longer than 30 mins or so and use a little heat. I put on a cap and use low heat on and off, focusing on my roots where the most grays are. I uploaded a pic on the main product page. I am the blonde. There are a few stray grays that look more pronounced in the pic than they do in real life. I have to also add that a few times a year I put highlights in my hair and the rest of the time I use the ion Demi to stain my grays to look like highlights. Much less damaging and seems to be working out well.! My natural color has darkened through the years to probably a light brown/dark blonde with golden highlights.
Another edit: just FYI that the NB (neutral blonde) in this line can be a little off in color. I have tried it on myself And others and it just never seems quite right. A little reddish with a strange undertone. Just wanted to share that if anyone is considering that color group from this line. All other colors have been fantastic though!!!
UPDATE::: 2-2015
My hair is light right now bc we went away over February break. The grays and my roots were coming in but I did not want to darken my hair so I tried the lightest color of the ion demi line. 10N lightest natural blonde. I only put it on my roots and left on for almost an hour. I used a cap and heat on and off. I only let it touch the rest of my hair mid shaft and length when I was rinsing it out so it wouldn't darken the rest of my hair at all. I was liking the highlights and didn't want them changed, I just wanted to roots to blend in. My grays are multiplying and I need to keep up on the new growth. This worked out really well! I didn't know if the 10n would cover the grays but it did and it lightened my darker roots enough to blend them. It also did not darken the rest of my hair. Yay!

on 11/13/2010 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I tried this b/c I wanted to quit damaging my hair with permanent color. I chose a shade 2x lighter than normal, followed the directions and while my roots came out the desired color, the rest of my hair was almost black. Clearly this is not what I was going for. I thought it would fade within a few days. Some of it did fade judging by the stains left on my white bath towels each day. After four days, my roots were back to their usual medium brown color (w/greys) but the rest was still nearly black. I ended up using Ion's Color Corrector to remove most of the black. That left my hair a nice brassy orange which I then colored with Wella's Color Charm Cashmere 6NW (Dark Natural Warm Blonde). The end result is medium warm brown hair. Whew. Will not touch a demi- permanent again.

on 11/3/2010 8:56:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I tried Ion demi-permanent twice, and I'll probaby be going back to Wella Color Charm. I have very long hair past my bum, dark brown/soft black with some grey. I was really hoping that it would cover my grey and not do too much damage. For some reason - and I did the 1:1 ratio as well as used Ardell's grey magic, which normally works like a charm - my hair color washed out both times (even with "color safe" shampoo). Too bad... it made my hair very shiny, though!

on 10/20/2010 4:09:00 PM

Love this stuff! Have tried Natural Instincts and another demipermanent line whose name I can't recall, and this provided far prettier color and better coverage at a rock-bottom price. My hair is a medium brown, 20% gray, and regularly colored. Based on the reviews here about how dark the results are, I went light and bought a 7N. Came out just right--hair is still a medium brown, but a prettier and far less gray one now. Used 1:2 proportion, did roots first, then went to ends. About 20 mins total processing. A little more do-it-yourself than the regular drugstore kits, in that you have to buy the developer separately, provided your own plastic gloves, etc., but the extra effort is completely worth it. Just use a nice conditioner after you rinse and shampoo.

on 9/25/2010 3:48:00 PM

I have tried this product twice now. The first time I thought I might have left it on too long, so the second time I left it on less and diluted it. I used the dark copper blonde, and it was NOT COPPER!! I don't know who named this, but they need their eyes checked. It came out almost burgandy. My hair is naturally a dark copper over the winter, and this is just a TERRIBLE color! I now have to figure out how to fix this. It did make my hair nice and soft, and was REALLY cheap. I am guessing the other colors might be ok, but not this. I was using the clairol compliments in dark copper blonde, and it was definately a dark copper blonde, but that has been discontinued now (why do they always discontinue awesome red shades?). The search continues now. (UPDATE) I have been using this for a few months now, and I have decided that this is the best brand and color for my hair. I only have to touch up my roots once every 2 or 3 weeks (I just mix a tiny bit of the developer and cream in a bowel and apply with a thin brush). I still recommend if you are going to use this to give yourself a few days of washing before it turns into a nice copper red (still would NOT consider this blonde) since it comes out SUPER dark and bright and unnatural at first. But it does last much longer than other reds I have used. I haven't dyed my whole head for a couple months now, but just do the root touch ups. I am upping my lippies for this one now :-)

on 9/13/2010 1:49:00 PM

This has been a great solution for coloring my grays. I am about 15% gray, with dark hair (a 4 in permanent hair colors). I used to get my hair highlighted, but don't like dramatic highlights, only dimension, so the salon would use a 5 for highlights and 4 to cover all the extra grays.

Using the ION in a lighter color than my natural shade has given me the dimension I'm looking for, as well as completely covering my grays. I agree with other reviews though -- I use a 7 vs. the 5 I used to. I mix this in a 1:1 ratio for my roots and add more developer to freshen up the rest of my hair. I leave it on for 40 minutes. My grays end up looking like really subtle highlights.

* Color (I use 7N) is not brassy
* Lasts a long time. I wash my hair every 4 days or so, which probably helps, but my grays grow out long before the color starts to fade.
* Does not seem to damage my hair - definitely more gentle than permanent hair color.

Overall, I am thrilled to have found this (and thanks to other reviewers!!). I don't have that one-color unnatural look from permanent dyes, and am not spending the $$ and all that time at the salon for highlights.

on 9/11/2010 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I love this! Its very pigmented and doesn't dry out my hair at all. Its nice and shiny too. I used 10ng over blonde highlights. I love neutral golds. The color does not look cheap. Very unique gold without looking brassy. This color is pure gold-ness, and not red at all!! It does run about two shades dark. This is definitely more like a level 8. This color is comparable to Clairol Premium Soy line's 8gn. Both shades are a straight golden color and pull absolutely no red or green like Wella Color Charm 12ng did on me.

Update: I like my hair at a level 8, so I used 9ng in this demi since this line does run dark, and it came out so so dark! I can live with it though. My hair in now a level 6 reddish golden brown. Definitely more orangey-reddish than I would like. I'm afraid it wont fade because the color is so saturated and rich. Gorgeous color...Just too dark! I think next time I will use the 10ng mixed with half clear, so it won't be as dark. I just wanted to add in a hint of golden tones and gloss for the winter, but it came out way too reddish and dark with 9ng than I'd like it to be. I like to stay in the level 8 range, but went with 9ng because this demi runs dark. I would totally use this brand again in a lighter color. I have to experiment to see what other colors work better for me. This is a wonderful product, so long as I choose the color wisely!!! Atleast start with 3 shades lighter since its easier to go darker if you don't like it. Take babysteps with this to avoid an unwanted color for sure!
Update: It's been a week and with some tolerance and patience...The color did wash off a lot due to my hair being previously heavily highlighted. Whew! The level 9ng was too dark and now has gorgeous light gold tones. What a relief. My roots are still dark and my ends super light, but its better than the whole head dark! I'm not touching anything lower than a 10 in this line!
UPDATE! I mixed half 10ng and half 00 clear....Perfection! My hair is shiny and color looks fabulous. Its a nice neutral gold dark blonde with no red at all! I dye my hair with my holygrail Garnier Nutrisse Every three weeks and use Ion in between when my hair needs a pick me up about 1x a month. Love Love Love...Rich color deposit even with half and half. Love love love
UPDATE: I had not used this in a while, and I wanted more shine, so I picked up a tube. Well, my hair has been doing so well, but once using this...It's re-fried my ends!!! I was shocked. I will stick to my Garnier Nutrisse. I think this works best on healthy hair. Plus all the blonde colors are very orange for Summer. I don't mind it in Winter, but honestly....Not liking this much right now.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This product left my hair in good condition and the smell was not unpleasant. However...I used medium neutral blond and the color came out about 3 SHADES DARKER than Clairol demi in the same shade. Be careful with this. I would recommend going 2 to 3 shades lighter than your desired level.