Bobbi Brown Caviar Ink

Caviar Bobbi Brown LinerBobbi Brown Gel Ink Liner

4.4

on 8/12/2009 12:07:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I haven't worn a Bobbi Brown Longwear gel liner in years. I bought Black Ink back when I was first starting out with eyeliner and, well, it was pre-UDPP so the results were disastrous.

I have not been able to wear eyeliner all summer because I have heavy monolids so all eyeliners end up on my upper lids if it didn't already end up on my lower lids. Hourglass Calligraphy liner doesn't smudge on me but it's not easy to apply and can look "dry" on me. I really wanted to give Bobbi Brown another try since Caviar Ink is the perfect everyday liner shade for me. I'm an N25 and am light but really not that pale. However, I wear very neutral colors for work (think MAC Brule, Era, and Blackberry) so black eyeliner looks a little harsh to me. Why not wear brown? My problem is that I don't like brown liner either since most brown liners are too brown and I don't think brown is neutral enough. A brown liner doesn't look right with a plummy or cool taupe eye palette. At least, not to me.

This is why Caviar is perfect. It's not quite black but is definitely not a brown and has no warm undertones. It's just a perfect neutral off-black.
I wore Caviar on the hottest day of the year and I only had a little smudging on my lower lashline at the end of the day. If it had been any other liner (even MAC Fluidline), my liner would've ended up all over my lids so smudging is normal for me. The key is how much smudging.

Please also note that Bobbi Brown doesn't get all the credit. By prepping my lids with UDPP and sticking to matte and satin shadows and then going the extra step and setting my undereye concealer (waterproof, smudgeproof MUFE Full Cover) with BeneFit Powderflage and MAC Blot, I was able to make the most out of an already fabulous eyeliner. Beauty isn't effortless...for some of us, anyway.

on 7/9/2009 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral

This is the BB gel eyeliner I've been waiting for. I've used the Black Ink version for several years and briefly flirted (unhappily) with Graphite Shimmer, Black Mauve Shimmer, and Espresso. The Shimmers didn't have sufficient density and staying-power, and none paired well with my ultra-fair skin (maximized the reddish/pinkish hues in my skin, and I ended up looking like I suffered from eye allergies). So, Black Ink it was. Happily, generally, except on days when I didn't get enough sleep. It just seemed a bit harsh. Caviar Ink, though, is everyday perfect. It's a cool-neutral deep brown--a smidge darker and cooler than wet/used coffee grounds and, yes, just like caviar.

on 7/7/2009 5:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

This is my pic. This picture looks a little like BB cobalt...LG eye rims added a blue tint. This is a perfect shade between the black (which may be too harsh on some) and espresso. It is my new everyday color and it works with whatever shade of shadow I am wearing...very versitle.
Love the caviar shade!

on 7/4/2009 4:23:00 PM

I have been looking for a dark brown/black eyeliner that is easy to apply, lasts and is not harsh-looking. I think caviar ink is the best I have found. I have several Bobbi Brown gel liners and this is now my new favorite.

I used Chocolate Shimmer Ink for a long time but now I will use this for everyday because it is darker and has no shimmer. The formula itself has been reviewed by others so I won't add more here, but this is a great everyday color for those of us who feel that they can't really carry off black liner successfully without feeling 'made-up'. I bought Graphite ink as a black substitute before but this is warmer and I like it better for a basic no-fail liner. I will buy this again if I run out but I have never done that with any of her other liners.