Bobbi Brown Caviar Ink

Caviar Bobbi Brown LinerBobbi Brown Gel Ink Liner

4.4

on 8/4/2011 9:52:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I love Bobbi's gel eyeliners, I have tried other brands throughout the years and will always go back to these. I normally use Black Ink, but after I ran out of my pot (managed to get 2+ years out of it with normal wear), I decided to try Caviar. A great choice if you like black eyeliner, but don't want it too black and if you think brown is too light. This is the perfect in between shade. These gel liners have the best consistency and are easy to apply and stay put ALL DAY. I apply mine with a MAC #263 brush and it gives me a razor sharp thin line or a thicker line if I want. Perfection in a pot!

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium

I am so glad I bought this, I so love this shade! It's a deeply pigmented, very dark liner that appears to be a soft - but not muted or greyed - black. Super-creamy like all of BB's gel liners and a pleasure to apply. I tightline with this, apply on my upper lid and also softly at the roots of my lower lashes. Fabulous. Lasts until I remove it. I imagine Caviar Ink would great on anyone who wants a dark liner to make their lashes look thicker and their eyes to look larger and well-defined.

on 6/8/2011 2:16:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Caviar looks almost black but Bobbi still calls it brown, but it's a deeper darker brown than Espresso. It looks great with blue eyes, and can be worn with any eyeshadow color. If you can only purchase one color in the gel liners, this is the safest bet. I've been using BB gel liners for years - they are the longest wearing liners I've found and once you get the hang of application, it doesn't take long to use.

The only problem I've ever had is that after a few months they do tend to dry out and you need to replace them, even if there is still plenty of product left. This is probably because the glass jar isn't completely airtight. I can still use them, but the texture changes a little and they apply best when fresh. Other than that, a perfect liner.

My favorite eyeliner ever. My everyday is Espresso but I wanted to try Caviar too since they are similar. What the cosmeticians told me was that Caviar is between Espresso and Black, like a soft black.

Regardless of what color you want, buy this eyeliner. I love it so much and if you don't break the pot it will last a long time. My old one lasted 7 months until I accidentally broke it but there was more than half the product left and it didn't seem to dry out, flake, or lose its color at all.

Espresso and Caviar look very similar in the mirror and in the pot, but in pictures and certain lighting the Caviar looks darker and pretty much black while the Espresso looks deep brown.

I wear Espresso for casual/everyday but sometimes I want a slightly more dramatic look yet I find black to be too harsh unless I'm going super glam, which I rarely do. Black also sometimes looks too cool or grayish, especially a soft black liner, but this is warm and the undertones are brownish, so you don't get the charcoal look but a true soft warm black, which is much prettier on most people in my opinion.

All in all, Espresso is like a deep blackened shade of brown, while Caviar is like a slightly brownish shade of black.

Caviar is a great universal color. If you are the type who doesn't look overdone in real black, this would be a good casual/everyday color for you as it is still black but warmer and softer. If you are the type who finds black harsh for everyday, I'd say get this for a fancy occasion and a brown shade like Espresso or a step lighter for everyday, as it still looks black but softer than the typical black.

Also, It won't look washed out or reddish in pictures the way brownish eyeliner tends to do, and I found that Espresso is great but it tends to come out lighter and slightly reddish tinted in pictures than it looks in person.

For some reason this shade seems to glide on more quickly and deeply than Espresso, but that's probably just because it's a darker shade.

I think its ok. It stays on throughout the day but if I do a lot of activity or sweat a little, it doesn't stay on very well. I had really high expectations after reading all the reviews and paying all that money and I was kind of disappointed. Perhaps I should try I primer underneath it but I don't think it is worth $21. I recently bought the Maybelline gel liner and it seems to work just as well, if not better. I've had my BB for about 5 months and was using it everyday but now I've started using my Mayebelline. I will probably finish my BB though so I don't feel like I wasted $ but again, Maybelline is just as good for a much cheaper price!

on 4/12/2011 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

My HG almost black liner! I already have Espresso, which I LOVE and is my goes-w-all-eye-looks e/l. Got Caviar Ink cuz I wanted an almost black e/l for more oompf. Goes on smooth and lasts all day, even through a workout. This is good for a nude e/s cat eye look without being too harsh (sometimes black is too cool and harsh on me) . It makes my dk. brown eyes richer and brings out the gold. I'm lt-med asian with yellow undertones, dk. brown hair and eyes.
EDIT: I caved and bought Black Ink for my winged cat eye days. Black Ink is richer and makes for a better cat eye. BUT, I still love Caviar Ink:)

on 4/2/2011 1:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Thanks to the MUA reviews, I bought the BB gel liner again. This time in Caviar Ink. I love it, makes my brown eyes look so bright and dramatic. I absolutely love this stuff and would be again and again. Thank you to the reviewer who provided the information this only lasted 10 months. You may not use it up after that time period, but best to toss, no risk for bacteria. The TM liner was awful compared to this. Gel liners are the absolute best. Thanks BB.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I love Bobbi's gel liners, and this color is a perfect everyday for me...not as dramatic as black, but as I have very dark brown eyes, I need some depth, which regular browns fall short. As a makeup artist, I think it would be a fantastic color on any eye, though more dramatic for blues and greens.

I've always been a fan of liquid eyeliner until I started using Bobbi Brown gel liner. I love caviar because it's a soft black which makes my eyes look defined without looking too intense. I use this with the ultra fine eyeliner brush and I love it! It's easy to apply and very long-lasting. I havent had any problems with it so far. Def my HG eyeliner! :D

I've been on the fence about this gel liner... While I love the color, which shows up as a warm black on me, I find that it doesn't seem to be as pigmented as the Espresso Ink. I have to go over my lash line a few times and in short strokes to fill in the color with this; however, once the color has dried it stays put for the entire day until I take it off at night. (This is even after a Spin class at the gym so that's saying a lot about the tenacity of these gel liners!) I'm considering trying a different eye liner brush instead of my beloved BB ultra fine brush to see if I get better results with the application. The reason I haven't tried it before is because I didn't have any problems with my other BB gel liners which include Cobalt Ink, Black Ink, Espresso Ink and Black Mauve Shimmer Ink.

Tonight before taking off my makeup, I decided to play around and layer my Espresso powder eyeshadow (wet) over the Caviar gel liner and voila!-- the resulting color and intensity of the combination was gorgeous! A very deep, rich cool toned black brown. By doing this I get the best of both products.

Something the SA at the Bobbi Brown counter said got me thinking when I mentioned how the gel liners always dry out before I get to the bottom. She said that they're only supposed last about 10 months anyway since the product starts to build up with bacteria from your brush repeatedly dipping into the pot. Since this made sense to me, I thought I could solve two problems by transferring a little of the liner to another old BB gel liner jar that I've recycled from the past. That way I can keep the product in the original pot fresh longer by not constantly exposing it to air as well as lessen the bacteria/contamination/drying out factor. I've been doing this for almost at year and I'm really pleased with the results. By using up a little at a time, the gel liner stays fresh and creamy everytime I open the lid now! For added insurance I always turn the jar upside down while I'm applying the liner- thanks to another MUAer for the tip.
*******************************************************************************
Update: 12/12/12--

Just ordered my 3rd backup jar because of the current VIP bonus on Bobbi's website and added the final lippie to my rating. The gel liner lasted another 6 months from my first review. I actually finished it and it stayed fresh and creamy all that time so I definitely got my money's worth! I've got awhile to go before I finish my 2nd jar but transferring 1/4 of the the product at a time really worked out well. I also tried several different brushes including Laura Mercier, Hakuhodo and Shu Uemura and found that the brush made all the difference in the application and outcome of the look. Bobbi's ultra fine eyeliner brush is decent when it's new, but the other brushes I used were so much better in depositing the color and getting a beautiful uniform line. I especially love my Shu 4F brush for getting the color right between the lashes.