NARS Night Star

NARS Night Star

3.4

As a product: This is definitely one of NARS' chalky shadows (I find that most of their light or pastel shades are). It is not as soft as other. Many complain about the "night series" shadows being either unpigmented or redundant; I have to agree with this particular shade. For $21, I prefer the color to be more rich and long-lasting, although I am a sucker for the signature black casing.

As a color: Night Star is a basic neutral beige with gold glitter pieces. While it is very blendable, the application process often whisks away the sparkles that make this shade so appealing in the pan, leaving your eye with a somewhat chalky beige. When applied wet, it is a much more brilliant shade, although when the water (or your mixing medium of choice) evaporates, it still leaves you with a sheer chalky mess :(

As a whole: Only when applied wet does this have promise, however, there are many other better shimmery beige shadows in the vast cosmetic world that there are better (guaranteed!)

Complementary products: If you can manage to wring some color from Night Star, it looks lovely with a shimmery peach shade on the outer half of the eye (i.e. MAC paradisco or NARS Faith) and a brown liner (i.e. Clinique Chocolate Luster). A shimmery pink blush (i.e. NARS orgasm) and a bright pink gloss (i.e. Clinique Cosmic Pink or MAC Lychee Luxe) finish off the look.

I really like Night Star; it is the perfect final touch over another eyeshadow. I agree with others that this is not ideal for use alone, especially given its tendency to disappear! I use it lightly during the day and put on several coats at night for a shimmery, romantic effect.

I love Night Star. From reading the reviews, it seems like most people think it's really light and I think that's the point of it. I like it for a bit of glimmer. Or I use it as a highlighter on the brow.

I do tend to use it over NARS Danceteria glitter pencil which deepens that pale glittery color. Surprisingly, this color goes well with a light gray in the crease. I've been thinking it would also look really stunning with a bright green on the lower lash line.

on 2/28/2008 10:44:00 AM

I'm a big fan of NARS but this is one I returned. The color looks great in the pan, not so much on the eyes. The gold flecks are too chunky (very bad for photos) and they don't stick to the lid yet get in my contacts.

on 1/28/2008 12:17:00 AM

As with others, I had high expectations for this. Night Star is a sheer pale peachy porcelain colour with flecks of gold glitter in it. Unfortunately, it is too sheer for my liking. Just a little bit more pigmentation would have been great. And I wish the gold flecks could have been formulated to stick a bit better to the eyeshadow powder.

I tend to use it to highlight my browbone, which is quite nice. But I have to use quite a bit to get any sort of effect, and as a result, end up with too many glittery flecks all over the place. So I find that applying it wet makes it a bit more easier, as Nars eyeshadows can be applied wet.

Overall, a bit disappointed with this - mainly due to it's lack of pigmentation which is completely the opposite of other Nars eyeshadows I have used. I'll continue to use it as a brow highlighter & hopefull work out some other way of getting the glitter to stay in place!

on 11/22/2007 4:49:00 AM

This is a staple for me; I use it on the browbone as a highlighter. This neutral is something I reach for when the look I'm trying for is a bit glamorous or dramatic, due to the glitter factor. Simple and lovely.

Urgh! This eyeshadow looks so pretty in the container, but it's nothing more than glitter! No color shows up at all.. just glitter!
I'm not a fan of the 13 year old glittery makeup look, so I will not be re-purchasing.
I'm so disappointed NARS!

on 10/17/2007 6:16:00 PM

This eyeshawow was def.not woth the money.I'm NW 30, 35 and this eyeshawdow barely showed upon my lids. In the pan, it's a beautiful light tan shade with little flecs of gold glitter. On your lids the glitter isnt even noticable.The color isnt anything special, considering you could barely see it.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I love this eyeshadow! I wanted it for two years before I finally got my hands on one (and it was the last one in the store)! I am PPP, green eyes and this color goes on so naturally, even without an eyeshadow base (although it works well with it too) or concealer. It looks just like my eyes, but better and with glitter. I wear it to work and get compliments on it all the time. I have had no problems with glitter on my cheeks or creasing whatsoever. Products like this are why I love Nars. I pair it with the oft-maligned LORAC paparazzi pencil (which works great on me) as eyeliner and just a light coat of mascara for a day look. This looks really natural on me with a light shimmer. In fact it is so natural I can wear it on no makeup days...how many nars products can one wear on no makeup days? The glitter is there but it is understated and chic. Another blush that compliments it well is Guerlain rose "pluie d'or" n255. One thing I like about this eyeshadow is that I can wear it with warm and cool colors, it does not clash with any of my lipsticks or glosses and doesn't look too shiny when I have bronzer on (you know how people look weird if they have bronzer and shiny eyeshadow). This is a good day shadow for me and I am a natural makeup kind of girl. I know, I am the only person who can find "natural" at MAC and Nars but somehow I do...

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

This is the perfect shade of natural glimmer for your eyes every day. I generally wear this eyeshadow on days I don't feel on doing an "all out" eyeshadow look which for me and my oily eyelids requires some primer underneath, and takes quite a bit of time. But if I just have 10 minutes to do my entire make up routine, it's very easy to just swipe a bit of this on my eyelids (usually I use a crease brush and put it all over up to the browbone, lightly). Then I put on some mascara, sometimes I wear eyeliner if I feel like it, and for my eyes, that's it! And suprisingly, it's this simple eyeshadow that has made people give me so many compliments - saying that my eyes "sparkle". And frankly, that alone makes this shadow worth it.
t definitely isn't pigmented though, unlike most NARS. It's very soft color, and I use it just to be a nude wash of glitter . But actually, this color is great for warmer skintones. Truly, I would buy this shadow again if I were to lose it or something, but so far I've had it for almost a year, worn it almost every day, and have barely made a dent in it.

The packaging is very good too. Classic Nars rubberized compact, complete with mirror. Definitely worth the money.