Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

on 5/12/2016 8:17:00 AM

This is one of the worst loose powders I have ever tried. Where should I start? First off, it doesn`t look natural, even when applied with a light hand you can see it there sitting on top of the skin, emphasizing every bump and clinging to every dry bit, and I don`t even have dry skin! For under eyes it`s a nightmare: you discover fine lines you never knew you had and whatever wrinkles you might have are magnified 10 times. As far as oil control, it barely works for 1 hour. In summer it`s like I haven`t applied anything after 20 minutes. The packaging is absolute crap: it`s just been sitting in my drawer, it`s never been dropped, but today when I tried to spill a litle powder into the lid, parts of the screw-on jar just literally broke off. Incidentally, I`ve noticed this effect with other Laura Mercier packages: it`s like they`re made from cheap, recycled plastic. Which would be great if they were, but I sincerely doubt it. And last but not least: I`ve gotten better results with cheaper drugstore powders than this overpriced garbage.

on 5/8/2016 3:24:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

OK...so I usually can't use face powder AT ALL. My skin has gotten too dry and sensitive over the years. But although I'm not oily, I must use heavy duty moisturizers under my foundation, which can end up appearing shiny. I don't mind dewy, but shiny on the forehead...not so much. Especially since I have a HIGH forehead; I mean, it's big.

So sometimes I really do want to use a bit of powder, just to keep from blinding those in the vicinity of my giant shiny forehead. After quite a lot of research, a few months ago I got the smaller size (with the puff) of this. But I hadn't really needed it yet, and was still a little nervous about using powder, which often makes me look like I've got some reptilian skin disease. Today, we were going to the beach (so if it turned into a hot mess, just with my family, no biggie) and my forehead was shining away...so I grabbed this, dipped a small brush in it (I prefer a smaller brush so as not to overload on powder), gingerly dabbed on my forehead... Huh. Looked good, not dry and crinkly. So I continued down my nose and over my chin. Gulp!

A few hours later, I was checking out my face in the mirror... No shiny forehead, and no reptile skin either. Freakin' AWESOME! Now, I've tried many powders, though this is my first truly high end one. And I'm NOT oily, so the last thing I'm looking for is something that mattifies heavily. From my point of view, used sparingly, this can work for those of us who aren't oil slicks, but just need a little help in the shine department. Oh, forgot to mention, many other powders make me itchy, this did not. Colorwise, I'm fair (though no longer porcelain), neutral leaning cool. I could not detect any color added by this.

on 1/10/2016 9:51:00 PM

I bought this BC of jaclyn hills rave reviews mostly. And because it was hyped on here and on YouTube.

Way overhyped. This does absolutely nothing for controlling my oil. It's just average at blurring and smoothing out my skin texture.

I like it for setting my undereye. But I can think of a dozen cheaper alternatives I like just as much for that.

In her most recent favorites video jaclyn says she actually changed her mind and prefers Mac MSFN to this now. That I agree with! MSFN is life changing. This powder is just really expensive powder.

Glad I got the smaller size. I use it and like it but won't repurchase

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

HG status! I usually use HD powders, MAC, MUFE, Nars, Cargo blu ray compact powder(discontinued?) and Rimmel Stay matte. I picked the travel size of LM translucent and OMG, this powder is so finely milled and smooth. I can't believe I waited this long to try to. Better late than never. I've been using the travel size for 3 months straight and still a lot of product left. Will repurchase when the travel size runs out.

on 2/8/2015 6:27:00 PM

I compared LM Loose Translucent to...

- MUFE HD Powder is whiter and chalkier
- MAC Prep and Prime has similar performance but where LM has a slightly beige cast, MAC is slightly white
- RMS "Un" Powder is absolutely invisible with the same performance as LM Loose Translucent (blurs imperfections, mattes shine)

LM Loose Translucent is a good powder but I prefer RMS or MAC's versions.

on 9/17/2013 3:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

After I purchased this, I thought it was the best. Then my pores started to clog. I did some research and found out that this contains not one, but two pore clogging ingredients. Ethylhexyl Palmitate rated a 4 (5 being the highest on the pore clogging scale) and Zea Mays (corn starch) rated 3.

I tossed it.

on 9/7/2011 1:19:00 PM

This is a below average product. First, it's false advertising: it is not translucent at all -- I can't see how this would work for anybody but pale ladies, considering I use it when my skin is in its lighter range and I'm only NC25. It sets my makeup okay, but it leaves a powdery, ashy cast and doesn't sink into my skin until a few hours later. And unfortunately a few hours after that, it disappears and doesn't control oil at all. Honestly I like my NYC loose powder more, since it looks more natural and less powdery immediately after application, and lasts longer. I'd normally give this a 2, but because of the outrageous price and undeserved hype relative to mediocre quality, I'm knocking it down to 1.

on 11/29/2008 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got a sample of this from Sephora, and right now I find it to be the best loose powder I own. I mostly use MAC loose Blot Powder, which is good, but the LM powder seems to give my face a nicer finish for some reason. I notice my skin looks more glowy when I use the LM translucent loose, and my pores seem to be less existent. I plan to invest in a full jar soon because the sample container I got is difficult to work with. I poured it into a small jar, but it is too small to dip my powder brush into. As for gals being told to use this with a puff instead of a brush... I say bullsh"ee"t!!! ;o)

I use this with my powder brush just like I use my MAC Blot... and I get a perfect application! Sometimes I think these silly salesgirls at these cosmetic counters don't know SQUAT about what they're saying- or selling! Use your own judgement like I do, and don't be misled by these self-proclaimed, make-up mavens.

on 10/12/2018 2:43:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

This is my first setting powder ever because I never really wore face make up except for mascara and brows. This set my foundation really well, and the packaging is really pretty, actually.The product works well and I like that it makes my pores look much smaller--the new "glow" version of it sucks. It got real cakey real fast. But this one honestly is really great. :)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I see what all the hype is about. It mattifies and provides a slight coverage (I do follow with UD All Nighter Setting Spray, so I can’t really comment on wear time except the combo seems to wear really well.) It sort of perfects the finished look, and as an oily gal I gravitate towards matte face products anyway. The setting spray tones down any powderiness. I bought the mini size and still going strong with it many months later (I do rotate other setting powders in sometimes though—still working on my NYC loose powder from who knows how long ago! and recently, the MJ Coconut loose powder, which sadly, I’m going to return if I can find the reciept.) It’s spendy but it’s worth a shot if you are oily. Drier types may not love this. I would actually recommend the MJ Coconut Powder for these types (also should not be acne-prone! Coconut breaks a lot of people out). Anyway, I think this may be HG material for me. I’ll update if something comes out that I love more.