Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

on 11/29/2008 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I got a sample of this from Sephora, and right now I find it to be the best loose powder I own. I mostly use MAC loose Blot Powder, which is good, but the LM powder seems to give my face a nicer finish for some reason. I notice my skin looks more glowy when I use the LM translucent loose, and my pores seem to be less existent. I plan to invest in a full jar soon because the sample container I got is difficult to work with. I poured it into a small jar, but it is too small to dip my powder brush into. As for gals being told to use this with a puff instead of a brush... I say bullsh"ee"t!!! ;o)

I use this with my powder brush just like I use my MAC Blot... and I get a perfect application! Sometimes I think these silly salesgirls at these cosmetic counters don't know SQUAT about what they're saying- or selling! Use your own judgement like I do, and don't be misled by these self-proclaimed, make-up mavens.

on 10/12/2018 2:43:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

This is my first setting powder ever because I never really wore face make up except for mascara and brows. This set my foundation really well, and the packaging is really pretty, actually.The product works well and I like that it makes my pores look much smaller--the new "glow" version of it sucks. It got real cakey real fast. But this one honestly is really great. :)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I see what all the hype is about. It mattifies and provides a slight coverage (I do follow with UD All Nighter Setting Spray, so I can’t really comment on wear time except the combo seems to wear really well.) It sort of perfects the finished look, and as an oily gal I gravitate towards matte face products anyway. The setting spray tones down any powderiness. I bought the mini size and still going strong with it many months later (I do rotate other setting powders in sometimes though—still working on my NYC loose powder from who knows how long ago! and recently, the MJ Coconut loose powder, which sadly, I’m going to return if I can find the reciept.) It’s spendy but it’s worth a shot if you are oily. Drier types may not love this. I would actually recommend the MJ Coconut Powder for these types (also should not be acne-prone! Coconut breaks a lot of people out). Anyway, I think this may be HG material for me. I’ll update if something comes out that I love more.

on 5/18/2018 3:31:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this product because it had great reviews and I was very disappointed. It didn’t really do much for me, I’m yellow toned and this powder makes my foundation look pinkish grey. It doesn’t work well with certain foundations and I found that it would actually cause my foundation to bunch up and made my skin look gross and scaly. I’ve tried multiple methods of application and it still made my makeup bunch up. The packaging was also annoying because I had to shake it multiple times to get the right amount of product out. Overall, does not work well for dry skin and is overpriced and overhyped. I’ve tried $5 drugstore powders that I actually prefer over this $50 one.

on 5/3/2018 7:28:00 PM

I’m a little frustrated because everyone really loves this powder and I just can’t get it to work for me!

When I bake with it, it actually darkens my concealer (Tarte Shapetape). I know a lot of people use that concealer with this powder so I’m not sure why it reacts with my skin like that (yes - I’m using the translucent powder and not one with a tint). I even tested out my paranoia by only doing one side of my face with the powder (spritz’d with setting spray) and then going downstairs. My fiancé (without being prompted) asked me why my face was two different colors and why the left side looked “crunchy”. When I asked him what that meant he said dry, powdery, and my pores were more obvious on the powdered side of my face.

I’ve tried damp sponges, puffs, different brushes, more powder, and less powder! I plan to continue trying different things. Maybe one day I’ll be able to come back and bump the rating up!

on 12/8/2017 9:57:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I bought the travel size of this to try out... 30$ canadian for less than 10 grams of product... umm even if i loved this i couldn’t bring myself to repurchase. It makes my skin look smooth and flawless but that doesn’t last the whole day. It helps control oil... sometimes. If it’s muggy outside or i’m wearing a foundation that doesn’t particularly last great on me, this powder doesn’t help out unlike my Maybelline fit me loose powder.

My HG powder! It may be expensive but it lasts a long time (for me). After finishing my last one, I tried a Clinique loose powder and it was absolutely dreadful. Never again. I returned it and then went back to this powder. It's boss for baking too. All in all, love it.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I wish I had bought the smaller tub of this before I bought the full size. While I do think this is a great powder, I think that people with clog-prone, acneic skin should approach cautiously.

I have friends that have no issue with this breaking them out-- I guess I'm one of the unlucky few that got clogged pore bumps all over my cheeks from using this. I didn't realize it was this powder until I stopped using it completely, but it took me about a month to finally extract all of those clogged pores out. I used this powder all over my t-zone and used it to "bake" under my eyes and it did a fantastic job and left me with a lovely finish, though I don't think it made my makeup last any longer than my other loose powders.

I will say, however, that I like the packaging. Unlike some loose powders, that puff of powdery smoke doesn't come up when you open the lid and I find that it dispenses the right amount of powder into the tub without spilling everywhere. The plastic also feels sturdy and secure--not like some other powders where if I drop it, I fear the cap will come off and it'll explode everywhere.

I'll probably give this away to a friend or keep it to use on family members when I do their makeup. For now, I will always and will continue to use Coty Airspun powder to bake, set my undereyes, and set my face. If you had a problem with this powder, I find Coty Airspun is a great alternative for a fraction of the price.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I got this for a stupid but logical reason I heard raves about this so I wanted to try it for argument sake since I loved the secret brightening powder however the pot is so small I ran out of it too quickly and this big ol thing caught my eye
I have oily skin in the middle dry all over and I try my best to compensate for the two ( serums , exfoliate when needed , dewy setting sprays ) however because I'm oily too I have to set everything I put on .. in other words when I do reviews I make sure it's not something I'm doing or changed.
This was good, blurred my pores, gave me a nice brightening finish in the middle of my face where i need it.
Didn't feel chalky it felt nice on the skin and it did keep me matte but it kept me too matte.
By the end of the night my face felt completely dehydrated and looked horrible.
My dry spots came through and note this is with serum : hydrating primer : and fix plus
I feel like as a whole I can get away with this in the summer and might even like it in the summer but in the dead of winter it's a no go.
Back to secret brightening ..

on 12/28/2016 1:00:00 AM

This powder is just okay. Not worth the very high price. For some reason when I use this to set my undereye concealer it makes it darker?? Like when I blend it in it's a very light shade and has wonderful coverage but once I set it, it turns darker and offers less coverage. Also it makes it crease and looks cakey. I really wish this powder worked for me considering how much I paid for it, but it just didn't do it for me.

Edit: I like this powder because when I compare to other powders such as the Rimmel matte powder, I just like this one so much more. It is so versatile since you can use it to set anywhere on the face and it won't cause flashbacks. I think I'm going to go ahead and purchase the full size once I run out of my mini one.