Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

4.1

on 7/31/2016 4:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I didn't want to like this powder because of the price, but OMG it is my HG powder. I have super oily skin & this sets my my all day. Despite the initial outlay being costly, it has lasted me 9 months so far with daily use, so realistically it's not that expensive. This product really does deserve the hype.

on 6/22/2016 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I've been using the translucent loose powder since about late December-early January. Given that I've used it in several seasons and months now (I've had the travel size) and I'm still not close to being done, I've given it a pretty good test run and feel comfortable sharing my thoughts on it.

The loose powder is a very nicely milled product that feels smooth and silky when you run it under your fingers. It sheers out beautifully and it does a great job of keeping things matte. For someone with dry skin, I initially worried about this and my big concern was if it would dry out my skin. It does not dry out my undereyes and does a great job keeping my concealer there without creasing. All over the face, however, does look a bit patchy. Despite this, I find a few sprays of MAC Fix+ actually removes the powdery, scaly look and makes it look super natural again, while keeping a demi-matte finish. While I normally would be miffed that I have to use several products to get something working the way I want, I don't hold that against this because powders and dry skin typically don't mix so adding a bit of Fix+ is an easy solution for the exact results I want.

For us dry skinned folk, I would recommend using a powder puff rather than a brush to apply. The brush only kicks up dry patches and a powder puff (when rolling side-to-side) helps to press it into the skin. The only time I use a brush for this product is with the Real Techniques Setting Powder brush and that's only for under my under-eyes.

I wouldn't imagine oily skinned or combo skinned (maybe even normal) folk to have the same problems and I could see this working really well for all of the above. It's just us dry/dehydrated skins that might struggle a bit, but it's nothing a little Fix+ can't help. For POCs, I don't know if this would be good for anything other than baking because it may give a slight ashiness, but I'd still recommend getting the travel size from Sephora to test it out for yourself.

I don't find it adds any additional color, so if you're looking for something to add more coverage, I don't know that this product would meet those needs. However, for something to help longevity in your makeup and give more of a matte appearance, this product is great.

After using up this, I think I'm going to try the ByTerry Hydra Powder, but this is a product I'd definitely repurchase and will do so if the ByTerry does not work.

Pros:

- Available in a travel-size (which comes with a powder puff!) and larger size (does not)
- Does not add color (for those not looking for that)
- Mattifies very effectively
- Great for baking
- Generous amount of product
- Does a good job of preventing under-eye concealer creasing
- Helps to prolong makeup wear

Cons:

- Dry-skinned folk may have difficulty with product and may need to use additional products to get desired results
- Does not add color (for those looking for that)
- May not work well for POCs

on 6/15/2016 2:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

this powder is good depending on what you are looking for in a powder
for one thing it did keep me matte, i could go 8+ hours depending on the day and the weather without getting oily skin. even today I wore it underneath my liquid foundation and even though I sat in the sun wearing jeans and i could feel my face sweating, i still did not produce any oil on my cheeks, chin or in between my forehead

however, the reason I gave this 4 stars and not 5 was because for me it made me look too matte, and thus, dried out. I do like the dewy look but unfortunately it doesn't work on me, so I strive for a natural leaning satin finish which this powder does not do. i feel like for the price i could easily find a powder that works better for me, however, for those of you looking for a powder that will keep you matte for 8 hours, and who like the matte finish, I highly recommend this.

I am extremely fair, (Elvira) and I was looking for a translucent powder I can "bake" my concealer with, and obviously word of mouth spread and decided to buy the travel size to find out if I liked it or not. With that being said;

PROS
-Silky texture on skin
-Great as a finishing powder

CONS
- Has Talc, and parabens
-The color turns slightly yellow when I bake with it (because im too fair)
-Separates my foundation
-Creases
-Brings out lines around my eyes
-Makes me look cakey as hell

This was a definite NO for me... but I see why everyone raves about it.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Since I purchased this I have been really loving it. I would say it is the best powder I have ever used and it is definitely verging on holy grail territory.

I have oily/combination skin, which gets quite oily around my tzone. Some people can get away with not wearing any powder to set their base, however because of my skin type I need it. I have tried a lot of powders over the past few years which haven't helped to keep my face matte or ensure my foundation doesn't break up or slide off of my face. I have also had trouble with flashback in photography or my face looking a bit chalky when using translucent powders. This powder however is perfect for me and it's so difficult to think of any negatives.

Pros:
- mattifies my face but leaves a natural finish with no whiteness/chalkiness.
- no flashback when I've had my picture taken.
- packaging is luxurious, I love it.
- before using this I could get away with maybe 3-4 hours before being oily. However this powder helps to extend it to 8+ hours! Lasts me an entire day of work in a busy hospital - I am impressed.
- even makes my chin look non-shiny all day and ensures my foundation doesn't come off, which is something I've struggled with as foundation has always managed to break down on my chin no matter what.
- the price is not a con for me. In fact it's a positive. £29 for 29g of product is actually really good, I don't know why people are complaining. Comparing this to the NARS light reflecting loose setting powder and the MAC prep + prime translucent powder (I have used both) for example, yes Laura Mercier is more expensive but you get way more product for the money you pay!

Cons:
- I don't like some of the ingredients, such as the parabens.
- this product is sold out all of the time... I really hate that everyone loves this and it's so difficult to get a hold of haha

on 2/3/2016 9:59:00 PM

Great product! Highly recommended.

on 11/29/2015 6:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

I absolutely love this powder! I was a fan of the Mac msf for years, but always found that powder would look cakey and almost orange on me (despite getting the palest shade). I decided to try a translucent powder and heard good reviews about this one and this is now my holy grail powder!! It doesn't make me look orange, it isn't cakey, it doesn't settle in fine lines, it helps my makeup to set and you can 'bake' with this to help your contour stand out. It's only downfall is the price tag, but you do get a lot of product which should last a long time as you really don't need to use much. It can also be messy but the pros definitely outweigh the cons. I would definitely recommend this to everyone!

on 11/25/2015 11:26:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I really wanted to love this. I have combination/oily skin and it didn't mattify my skin as well as I would have liked. It creates a nice, natural finish on my skin but within one or two hours, my face becomes very shiny and greasy to the touch. I wouldn't purchase this again, especially for the price. I have some drugstore powders that last longer then this.

EDIT: Reducing this to 2 stars. I hate this powder. I don't understand why it's so highly recommended. This powder just sits on top of my skin and it makes my face so greasy. It looks mattified for literally 2 seconds and then when I touch my face it is greasy and gross. Not repurchasing.

on 7/27/2015 9:19:00 PM

This product is freaking amazing! I don't write reviews often but I had to on this one. I'm 60 years young and always on the lookout for products that help improve the look of my complexion. I use IT CC cream as a foundation. I've used other powders, loose and pressed as a setting powder. Nothing compares to Laura Mercier. It's expensive but the jar is large and I don't think I'll use it up in my lifetime. You don't need much product. It blurs everything. My pores virtually disappear. I've tried many products in my life and not too many are holy grail status. This definitely is top on my list. I did buy the Laura Mercier puff to go with this. I blot it on after my foundation and before my blush. Perfection!

on 7/3/2015 8:59:00 PM

Out of all the powders I own, this one most definitely has the most longevity. When I apply this at 8 am in the morning, I can always count on this powder staying intact on my face throughout the day (even on my very oily T-Zone). You need the tiniest bit of this powder or else it can look quite cakey but since a little goes a very long way the price is most definitely justified and I can see this powder lasting at least a few years! Could not recommend this powder enough, especially for those who like an airbrushed, full finish foundation.