Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Powder

4.1

on 6/15/2016 2:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

this powder is good depending on what you are looking for in a powder
for one thing it did keep me matte, i could go 8+ hours depending on the day and the weather without getting oily skin. even today I wore it underneath my liquid foundation and even though I sat in the sun wearing jeans and i could feel my face sweating, i still did not produce any oil on my cheeks, chin or in between my forehead

however, the reason I gave this 4 stars and not 5 was because for me it made me look too matte, and thus, dried out. I do like the dewy look but unfortunately it doesn't work on me, so I strive for a natural leaning satin finish which this powder does not do. i feel like for the price i could easily find a powder that works better for me, however, for those of you looking for a powder that will keep you matte for 8 hours, and who like the matte finish, I highly recommend this.

I am extremely fair, (Elvira) and I was looking for a translucent powder I can "bake" my concealer with, and obviously word of mouth spread and decided to buy the travel size to find out if I liked it or not. With that being said;

PROS
-Silky texture on skin
-Great as a finishing powder

CONS
- Has Talc, and parabens
-The color turns slightly yellow when I bake with it (because im too fair)
-Separates my foundation
-Creases
-Brings out lines around my eyes
-Makes me look cakey as hell

This was a definite NO for me... but I see why everyone raves about it.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Since I purchased this I have been really loving it. I would say it is the best powder I have ever used and it is definitely verging on holy grail territory.

I have oily/combination skin, which gets quite oily around my tzone. Some people can get away with not wearing any powder to set their base, however because of my skin type I need it. I have tried a lot of powders over the past few years which haven't helped to keep my face matte or ensure my foundation doesn't break up or slide off of my face. I have also had trouble with flashback in photography or my face looking a bit chalky when using translucent powders. This powder however is perfect for me and it's so difficult to think of any negatives.

Pros:
- mattifies my face but leaves a natural finish with no whiteness/chalkiness.
- no flashback when I've had my picture taken.
- packaging is luxurious, I love it.
- before using this I could get away with maybe 3-4 hours before being oily. However this powder helps to extend it to 8+ hours! Lasts me an entire day of work in a busy hospital - I am impressed.
- even makes my chin look non-shiny all day and ensures my foundation doesn't come off, which is something I've struggled with as foundation has always managed to break down on my chin no matter what.
- the price is not a con for me. In fact it's a positive. £29 for 29g of product is actually really good, I don't know why people are complaining. Comparing this to the NARS light reflecting loose setting powder and the MAC prep + prime translucent powder (I have used both) for example, yes Laura Mercier is more expensive but you get way more product for the money you pay!

Cons:
- I don't like some of the ingredients, such as the parabens.
- this product is sold out all of the time... I really hate that everyone loves this and it's so difficult to get a hold of haha

on 2/3/2016 9:59:00 PM

Great product! Highly recommended.

on 11/29/2015 6:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

I absolutely love this powder! I was a fan of the Mac msf for years, but always found that powder would look cakey and almost orange on me (despite getting the palest shade). I decided to try a translucent powder and heard good reviews about this one and this is now my holy grail powder!! It doesn't make me look orange, it isn't cakey, it doesn't settle in fine lines, it helps my makeup to set and you can 'bake' with this to help your contour stand out. It's only downfall is the price tag, but you do get a lot of product which should last a long time as you really don't need to use much. It can also be messy but the pros definitely outweigh the cons. I would definitely recommend this to everyone!

on 11/25/2015 11:26:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I really wanted to love this. I have combination/oily skin and it didn't mattify my skin as well as I would have liked. It creates a nice, natural finish on my skin but within one or two hours, my face becomes very shiny and greasy to the touch. I wouldn't purchase this again, especially for the price. I have some drugstore powders that last longer then this.

EDIT: Reducing this to 2 stars. I hate this powder. I don't understand why it's so highly recommended. This powder just sits on top of my skin and it makes my face so greasy. It looks mattified for literally 2 seconds and then when I touch my face it is greasy and gross. Not repurchasing.

on 7/27/2015 9:19:00 PM

This product is freaking amazing! I don't write reviews often but I had to on this one. I'm 60 years young and always on the lookout for products that help improve the look of my complexion. I use IT CC cream as a foundation. I've used other powders, loose and pressed as a setting powder. Nothing compares to Laura Mercier. It's expensive but the jar is large and I don't think I'll use it up in my lifetime. You don't need much product. It blurs everything. My pores virtually disappear. I've tried many products in my life and not too many are holy grail status. This definitely is top on my list. I did buy the Laura Mercier puff to go with this. I blot it on after my foundation and before my blush. Perfection!

on 7/3/2015 8:59:00 PM

Out of all the powders I own, this one most definitely has the most longevity. When I apply this at 8 am in the morning, I can always count on this powder staying intact on my face throughout the day (even on my very oily T-Zone). You need the tiniest bit of this powder or else it can look quite cakey but since a little goes a very long way the price is most definitely justified and I can see this powder lasting at least a few years! Could not recommend this powder enough, especially for those who like an airbrushed, full finish foundation.

on 1/11/2015 12:27:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I love this setting powder, both for its natural finish and its oil controlling abilities. It has more of a satin finish than a truly matte one, so it looks like skin. As long as I don't overdo it with the powder, I don't get flashback in pictures. It's very finely milled, but may seem a bit "thicker" than other silica based HD powders that are popular right now. Don't be fooled, this powder is equally as invisible on the skin, and even better at oil control in my experience. I've had success using it under foundation, over foundation, to set undereye concealer, as a base over eye primer, to mattify lipsticks, and even just applying it on my bare face to take down a bit of my shine on no-makeup days. My skin is dehydrated, which means it's dry and often flaky on the surface, but I still have a ton of oil. This keeps my shine at bay all day, with minimal touch ups.

The pot is huge, and even with near daily use I have barely made a dent in it over the past year. A little truly does go a long way. I find that the sifter holes are the perfect size for easily dispensing the right amount of product without a ton of it flying out and being wasted. If you want a satin skin-like finish (not too matte, but definitely not dewy) that LASTS, look no further.

on 6/9/2014 1:34:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Worth every penny in my view! This is the only powder that does not settle and create tell tell fine lines!! It does not look white or chalky on the face either because it contains light reflecting ingredients which creates a natural look. Definitely would not be without this product and always buy one in advance just in case I run out!