Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

Filtered by skin type : Acne-prone
Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

3.9

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

My first attempt at loose powder over my liquid foundation... the moment I opened the lid it fell all over the place. And I still tend to get it all over the place after a few months of use, so I usually open it over the sink. As for the actual product itself, I think it gives me a matte finish that isn't ghostly white but I still do have to blot by lunch time. But honestly with my oily skin I'm not sure if I'll ever something that won't be look greasy after a few hours. Just as long as I don't look like a complete grease monkey then I should be okay.

My HG loose powder. I have only strayed once (to NARS loose powder in eden) but never again. I have very problematic skin (sensitive, oily, acne-prone) and this is the only make-up my crazy skin can tolerate. My face usually starts protesting in breakouts, clogged pores, and redness after a single use but it seems to make an exception for this product. In fact, I am on my second jar now and will continue to purchase indefinitely for the rest of my life (or until the product is discontinued, God forbid). The powder is highly refined; it goes on extremely smooth and is truly translucent. It does a superb job of absorbing any greasiness, even from sunscreen, and can be reapplied throughout the day without that heavy, chalky build-up effect. I have saved the container from my first purchase because it has a stopper thing which ensures that no powder spills out when you place it in your bag (for touch-ups during the day or when you travel). It seems that they no longer make containers with those stoppers, however, though I may be wrong. To recap: HG loose powder - expensive but well worth it (actually quite cheap considering one jar lasts me about six months to a year with daily use, and considering it is one of the few products that does not irritate my ultra-sensitive skin).

on 12/30/2009 4:08:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I absolutely despise this product! I have very oily skin, and had read a lot of good reviews about this product. I love Laura Mercier, but she destroyed my trust with this one.. I used it for about two weeks before taking it back to Nordstrom's (thank God for their awesome return policy!) and it did absolutely nothing for me except make my face look like a grease pit. I applied in the morning over foundation or just over concealer, but either way by about 10 my face looked gross and greasy all over. Mind you, my face is oily but not THAT oily that it should be covered in grease before my third hour classes! Moving on, I would try to reapply but the packaging made that tricky.. I brought it in my purse a few times but if you bump or move the bottle at all all of the powder goes up into the top section through the holes and makes a gigantic mess when you open it up. Then, when I did reapply, it looked cakey and like I was wearing fifty layers of powder, instead of two. I was not happy at all with this product! I wouldn't advise it to people with oily skin or even combination skin, which my skin is at times, though it may work if you have dry skin. I wouldn't know, though!

on 10/29/2009 11:29:00 AM

I really liked this powder, but I like Marcelle's even better, and especially the price!
Like all the other reviewers said it did leave a very nice finish paired with LM TM. But because of it's price, I won't be re-purchasing.

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

FINALLY! A translucent powder that's ACTUALLY translucent. Before I discovered the wonderful world of Laura Mercier powders, I was stuck using powders that were allegedly 'translucent'...but in actuality they made my super pale skin look orangey/pinky...not exactly the look I was going for.

Like all of LM's powders, this one is super, super finely milled...it honestly feels like silk...you really can't go wrong with this product. And the container is very generously sized for the price...not a bad deal at all.

I'm currently waiting for my Aveda order to arrive (still on the quest for the ever-elusive foundation that will be pale enough for me!) and have ordered a container of their translucent powder as well out of curiosity (I'm a makeup junkie, what can I say?!)...I'm curious to see which one wins out...will update once I've compared both products! :-)

on 9/5/2009 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

love this loose powder, before it i used benefit powder and i hate that. it is easy to apply and even after you apply it ,you feel nothing but looks great. it can last long and traslucent is great for me!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I read so many great reviews on this, but it just didn't work for me! I found that it left a cast on me and didn't do anything for my skin. I've never had the best luck with powders, but I was hoping that this would be different. It seems to be well formulated and is very finely milled, but on me it was totally obvious I was wearing powder. Yuck!

on 7/13/2009 4:00:00 PM

I love this stuff. I have been using it for years after my step sister turned me on to it. I put it on over my foundation and it gives my face such a nice natural looking finish. I really freak out when I dont have it. Its gentle enough for my sensitive and acne prone skin. It does not make me break out. Its a resonable price. And it lasts forever.

on 4/16/2009 2:24:00 PM

Not impressed. This powder is light, and feels good, but produces no mattifying power whatsoever. Skip it. Not worth the money.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I bought this after seeing all the positive reviews on here. I wanted to love this product, but it made me break out all over my forehead. I'm so disappointed!