MAC Cosmetics Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

MAC Cosmetics Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.3

on 5/25/2010 6:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Brilliant powder. Disappears upon application and gives a beautiful flawless finish. Does not cake at all, does not have a nasty smell like some other powders.. Great product! I wouldn't say it keeps skin matt longer than 5 hours though, so still great for a night out.

on 5/23/2010 7:36:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

This is my HG powder at the moment and Im medium/olive skinned (NW35). When I bought it on an impulse, I never realised it would become a staple in my routine. I think Im going to have to buy one more for my make up bag and one for home. Even though the powder is bright white, I apply it quite heavily over my foundation, often doing one round of powder then another dusting just before I leave the house. I use it very generously. Yet the 'white cast' effect is only visible if you don't blend it in! And on me, it may be *slightly* visible at first if you are scrutinizing my skin in search of any unnatural whiteness. But once it sets into my skin (around 20 minutes later) and during the course of the day when my skin begins to produce a bit of oil it looks totally gorgeous and natural. The lovely thing about it is it definitely mattes the skin well, but once you get a little oil breakthrough, it's not like greasy looking, it just looks really nice.... better than when first applied.... a little dewy and glowy. I hate when some powders completely disintegrate once skin gets oily, to the point that the foundation is sliding off in patches. But this powder never does that. It keeps my foundation in place. And YES, a big YES, it definitely minimizes the look of my pores. And being really oily on my t-zone, I have some pretty large ones, especially around my nose. I can't think of any negative points with this powder. Im quite acne-prone and this doesn't seem to aggravate my mild acne at all. However, I guess the packaging is a bit annoying. I've dealt with it so far so it's not a big enough deal to rate the product down. What I don't like is that the container is quite small, I've bought loose powders in the past where the container is a lot BIGGER. Yeah this is more travel friendly, but it's annoyingly difficult to get a decent, even amount spread out for my large fluffy brush to pick up. I've got quite a big powder brush from Lancome, but I have to slant it in order to place it in the lid to pick up product. Because the powder doesn't pick up evenly over the brush head I have to manipulate the brush when Im buffing it over my face. I don't fancy tipping out the powder onto any surface either, I feel it's more sanitary the way it is. And yeah you have to keep some of the sifter holes covered because A LOT of product will fall out.

Also, because I use so much of the powder it seems to finish a lot quicker than I'd like. It doesn't work as good if you use minimal amounts of this powder, so you do have to use a lot more than you probably usually would. However, having said that, I've been using it for approx 2 months now on a daily basis and it's only just starting to run out although I could probably get another couple of weeks out of it. So it's not that bad actually.

In comparison to the MUFE HD powder, this wins hands down. I actually began to hate the MUFE powder because it did NOTHING for me! The moment I applied it, it would disappear instantly into my skin as if I never applied it in the first place. My pores looked just the same, my skin seemed to get oilier than before... ugh complete disaster. So expensive for nothing. Yes they are both very finely milled, but at least the MAC powder is still able to perform the basic functions of a powder. The MUFE was almost invisible, like dust in the air, and performed as such.

Also, as I have combo skin, I am quite dry around my jawline and cheeks but this has NEVER dried me out in those areas. I would highly recommend this. One of my top 3 make up products I use daily.

on 5/7/2010 6:50:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I LOVE THIS PRODUCT AND WOULD BE LOST WITHOUT IT! I don't even know how I wore makeup before I discovered this!

I use it even when I'm wearing no makeup (i.e. over moisturiser) because it seems to just blur my imperfections and makes me look nearly poreless.

But usually, I put this all over my finished face, particularly making sure to get my cheeks (to make the blush stay) and eyebrows (to make the shadow/liner there stay, as well as taking away that 'waxy' look from brow liners). It mattifies my face and makes my skin look amazing! It somehow gives this 'glow' without being shimmery at all, it's transparent!

The powder is sooooo finely milled and smooth and silky. I was told this was different to the Pro Set powder in that respect - that one, while in a larger jar, is not as finely milled. The Pro Set powder is more for oil control apparently, and this one is more for pore-refining.

It may be expensive, but I don't think I'll even be able to get through my jar - you only need a very little bit, and it sets your makeup beautifully. I use my Ecotools powder brush to apply this - the brush is so soft and this powder is silky, so together they're heavenly!

As for oil and shine control, this is pretty good. I still get a bit shiny after a few hours, but I think my forehead's just made that way so I've come to accept it, lol.

If you don't have this, I recommend you BUY IT! =)

on 12/5/2009 12:36:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

The mother of all finishing powders. This product is like fairy dust. I use it to set my foundation and after applying it I can't stop looking at my skin. It looks that good!!!! I used it for the first time this past Thanksgiving and my mom, my aunt and my sister commented on how great my skin looked! It really helps to keep the shine away.I even use it to set my concealer. Amazing product!!!! A+++++

on 11/18/2009 11:47:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I used to use Bare Minerals veil, but MAC's prep + prime finishing powder is a whole new catagory. Unlike BE's finishing powder which appears the same consistancy as flour (settles, looks like it needs sifting), MAC's is so jet milled it always looks fluffy and airy. It's like what clouds are made of! Gives me a soft-focus look that blurs my large pores. Price is right, a little goes a long way. I use this throughout the day to help absorb my excess oil. My HG finishing powder.

on 11/11/2009 6:39:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

i've been using this powder to set my foundation for a month now and i really love it. i have some large pores on my cheeks by my nose and i really rely on this setting powder to de-emphasize them. basically my foundation doesn't settle in my pores with this. i never look overly powdered either. i use my 150 brush for this and it fits perfectly in the sifter top. i recommend this to anyone with skin issues. it seems like it will last a long time since you need just a small amount to set your foundation and you don't need to touch up, just blotting papers. gives a great finish and makes skin look refined and poreless.

Skin: Other, Olive, Cool

This has got to be the greatest product in my vanity! I have very oily skin and nothing has ever worked, in an hour or so I have to touch up my make-up....but when I use this I can go longer...much longer. It does give a very nice finish to your make-up but you gotta be careful how to apply otherwise you can look like casper(for olive or darker toned girls out there). The packaging is somewhat annoying esp. if your travelling with it so careful when you do, I didn't peel the paper back all the way for this reason. Great stuff and worth the money$$!!!

on 9/18/2009 8:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

OMG THE REVIEWS SAY IT ALL. AMAZING FINISHING POWDER. MY FACE LOOKS AIR BRUSHED AFTER USING THIS TO SET MY FOUNDATION, PLUS ITS NOT CAKEY YOU ONLY NEED A LITTLE BIT, IT WORTH THE MONEY I HAD TO GET BACKUPS.

on 8/14/2009 12:02:00 AM

MAC Prep+Prime Transparet finishing powder is darn fantastic, not only does it set foundation but is ideal for shine control and gives makeup lasting power.
Agreed it can be a tad messy and slightly pricey for thoes of us not living in a high end makeup budget but honestly the quality is just darling.
I find it goes well with my combination skin, i tend to be shiny and find with my MAC Mineralise Satin Finish i tend to be more psycho reflector girl then glowy dewy ethereal angel but hey gotta love my coverage. The powder gives me the natural look i strive for.
I can't wear makeup without it anymore, i live by it.
Highly recomend it.

this amazing powder makes me use my Studio fix fluid more often!.. I noticed that SFF does not oxidize when i put this over it .. and my foundation stays put and matte !