MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

Filtered by skin type : Normal
MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.5

When doing your own makeup or doing makeup on a client, it is extremely vital to set your makeup for a flawless, long-lasting look.
Most clients approach me with the problem of creases on their eyelids and under their eyes, and this amazing product will easily help you to forget these problems!
If you have problems with creases on your lids once your makeup is complete, you have either put too much moisturiser on your oily lids or your have used a product on your lids which is releasing too much oil combined with your natural oil. Also, if once your concealer/foundation is complete and you are constantly trying to pat away the creases beneath your lower lids - simply sweep a small amount of the loose powder to set your concealer/foundation. For your lids, use a loose eyeshadow brush and pat a small amount to avoid any oils being released in unwanted areas.
This product is highly recommended, especially if you have oily/combination skin. I am aware that some SA may recommend the MAC Fix Spray to set your makeup, but if your skin is prone to releasing any oils during the day, it will accentuate the oils and if not, make it a lot worse!
I hope this review helps you ladies out there! Check out www.Nataliamakeup.com for looks which have been finished with this Finishing Powder and some which have been set with the MAC Fix Spray.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Wonderful powder. True to the name, this is completely translucent and undetectable after application onto the skin. The texture is finely milled and scentless. I have normal skin, so a light dusting over the entire face is enough to keep shininess at bay.

As for lasting power, no complaints here. This lasts me a full school day without touchups.

My only problem with this product is the packaging. I think the holes in the lid to dispense the powder must be cut a little too big. I have to be careful with the product now that almost half of it has spilled into the upper portion of the container. For application, I use a large fluffy brush and gently pick up a small amount of powder, swirl onto the lid, and apply.

As other reviewers have mentioned, I would recommend only cutting off half (or even a third) of the sticker on the lid. Otherwise a perfect finishing powder.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really like this product. I have combo/oily skin, and used to always have to either touch up my foundation by mid-day, or accept the fact it was gone! With this, it's a whole new ballgame. I just dust this lightly over my finished face and voila! Perfection. Sometimes if I put too much I can see a white cast, but that's my fault for being too heavy-handed, not the product's.

Because it has a sifter lid thingie, and I feel that I waste SO much product if I don't do this, I Scotch tape over almost all the holes except one row of 2-3 holes. That way I can get product out, but don't waste any, and severely cut down on the risk of getting way too much product on my brush. A little goes a long way, so even though the container looks tiny, it'll last ages!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This is great for setting make up without adding extra color onto the skin. This helps my make up, especially cream blush, last longer, and also helps me with excess oil. My only con is the packaging, I wish it had it had a twisting cover over the sifter so that the powder wasn't so messy.

i have this. its pretty good, i just wish that the packaging wasn't so small. I always feel like i should buy two at once with this powder incase i run out. but it does the job well.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This stuff is really good. Now, I am not a fan of MAC (apart from their blushes!) so for me to say this is really good is pretty special heheh. I have normal-combo oily skin, and this keeps my makeup in place all day. I apply this ontop of my MUFE face&body or HD foundation at 5AM before work, and don't finish my shift until around 4PM. My makeup is still intact, not oily, not sliding off my face. I usually get a little dewy on the t-zone area, but it's not greasy by any means. And after 11 hours+, a little dewiness is hardly a bad thing, is it?! I went out clubbing one night and wore this...you know how your makeup usually sweats off within an hour at a hot sticky club? Well, mine stayed on ALL NIGHT with only minimal fading! Amazing.

I have sensitive skin but this has not caused me any breakouts. Some may say that cornstarch is not good for breakoutprone skin, but I've had to problems. Just make sure you cleanse well and wear a primer underneath, you should be fine.

BTW I am an NC40/42 and this does not leave a white cast on my skin at all. I apply with my 188 or 187 brush, you really only need a teeny weeney bit.

The price and packaging are the only things I'm not happy about. The powder goes flying everywhere (don't open the sticker fully, only uncover a few holes) and the price is absurd for only a few measley ingredients. Ahhh well. I would definately repurchase.

on 6/13/2010 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I alternate using this powder and the MUFE HD when I do my photo mu --

both work really well and leave a soft glow on the complexion.

I depotted the MAC powder (MAC containers can be fragile on shoots) into an old Origins powder box which was a huge size with a great sifter in order to have enough on hand at all times (the Origins powder box held double the powder!)..

on 6/3/2010 4:18:00 PM

I really like this. However it has to be used with caution. I would echo other concerns about the packaging, it is really poorly designed. Next time I will follow a tip on here and only expose a couple of the holes, instead of all of them. When I use this I get white powder all over my bed and makeup case!
I am prone to getting a slightly oily t zone on nights out or on sunny days. I just dust a small amount of this over my t zone after my foundation, using my buffer brush, and I'm shine free. It also keeps my foundation on for longer. Whilst I do want a shine free t zone, I'm also a fan of the dewy moisturised look, and use highlighters to achieve this effect. So before this I'd never tried a powder (other than bronzing powder!). However, when looking at pictures of nights out my nose always seems shiny, which makes it look big (especially from the side!). So I love that my nose looks smaller with this!
That said you can definitely use too much of this stuff. If I go overboard it can make my skin feel tight, and also makes me look more pale (I wear bronzer and blusher to get away from the pale look!). Overall really nice product if used sparingly.

on 5/12/2009 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

5/23/09 Update: Had to add a lippie. I bought this powder a few weeks ago. It's still very messy, but am not sure what other options there are for a product that is this fine. I had to get a new powder because I found out that my old powder was oxidizing on me and making my face pink/orange. Not very flattering. Anyways, my face is mostly matte these days and I do get a nice glow from this powder. I'm not sure if it helps at all with hiding pores, but at least it's not turning me any new colors.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A MAC MUA tried this on me and it was ok. Seemed kind of messy (even the MUA spilled product all over the place). The powder is very very fine so it's dustier than regular powders. I don't think that it helped my skin anymore than my current powder since I still got shiny by the end of the day. I probably would have bought it if I didn't already have some setting powder already. I'm not in love, but I can see myself owning it in the future when my powder runs out.
______________________________________
NC40, Black Hair, Brown Eyes, Combination Skin

on 7/6/2012 11:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Maybe it's just me, but I can't seem to get a handle on these types of light loose powders, and this one is no exception. It feels really cool to the touch, and I can see how it smooths the skin when I swatch it, but I can't seem to get a hang of application. I've used all types of brushes - natural, synthetic, duo fibre, fluffy, dense - and invariably they cause a big cloud of flour-like mess and don't make a huge difference in the appearance of my make-up. For me, it's just not worth the messy application and the time spent to apply. I also hate the packaging - there are way too many holes that are way too big, and powder inevitable sifts up during storage, even if I try my best to not turn it upside down. Like I said, it's just not worth the bother for me. I'm trying the pressed version now.