MAC Cosmetics Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

MAC Cosmetics Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.3

on 2/25/2014 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

This product is the same as using corn flour on a powder puff. The texture is horrible, it leaves white streaks everywhere, it is un-absorbing and dehydrating on the skin.
Unless your foundation is very wet when applied, I do not see how this product can properly work.

The packaging was not good either, even though I pierced through the plastic for the number of holes I wanted, too much always spilt out.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I realy don,t understand why so many women love this powder! I have a medium skintone and when i use this on my face even the slightes amount of powder turns me in to Caspar the friendly ghost..My daughter has fair skintone and when she uses it she turns paler and looks ill.I use a little under the eyes after putting on eyecream but actualy i don,t like that effect either.No,this is not for me!

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I loved this for a long time then realised this was the reason that I had a horrible greyish cast on my face with flash photography. For years I thought, my make up doesn't look like that does it? But then reading some threads I realised that this powder was the culprit. It's disheartening to say this because this powder really does finish your makeup nicely. Since searching for alternatives, I have come across several powders that are miles ahead, but none which are transparent. So I have kept what remains in my jar and maybe one day I might try it again.

on 12/28/2011 11:02:00 PM

I bought this hoping I would love it as a setting powder and I did..until I saw myself in photos. It leaves a white cast/shadow in photos and I absolutely hate it. If it weren't for that, I would love this product. It sets my foundation nicely without looking cakey (I think those who say it makes their faces cakey used too much product) and it mattifies my face. If you know for sure you won't be in any photos, use this product. If you don't want to take the chance, go look for another setting powder.

For reference: I'm asian. nc40

on 10/17/2011 3:27:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I tried this because it seemed like a super neutral product: transparent, not made for one skin type, and it even claims to be invisible. It's pretty blatant that it's MAC's version of Make Up For Ever's HD powder as well: finely milled, lotta silica, transparent.

PRO: SUPER finely milled. I can't detect any "grains" in it, like those beads that disappear when you put your brush on them. The amount you get is pretty good too. So far it seems like it's lasting a long time. Only 3 ingredients. I like that it's loose because it transfers the easiest to any tool (brush, puff, etc). Loose powders are cheaper and easier to make which should reduce their cost as well. I quite like using this powder over moisturizer/sunscreen. I have dry skin but somehow all moisturizers give me a sheen, magnifying pores/lines/etc. This powder takes away the shine but in a completely transparent way, it doesn't look like there is anything on my face!

CONS: When I put it on top of foundation, it can make it look dull. The finish may be called "natural" matte, but is too much and looks dry/UNnatural instead. I use Studio Sculpt (a pretty dewy foundation) and after I put this on top of it, it is flat and lacking dimension. I also need to use more than I feel like I should to set things too. I don't pack it on, but I definitely need to go back for more for different sections.

OTHER: In pictures, I think this is "invisible" looking and truly transparent. The overly matte finish isn't totally noticeable then. But since humans don't work/live in places that can double as a photoshoot 24/7, how it looks in bad light is more important to me, and there it's too matte/dry looking. This powder also makes the skin feel dry, not a sucked out moisture way, but a "I put some powder on my face! See how dry and smooth it feels?" way. It just makes things feel "set". It only leaves a white cast if you use too much or don't press it in. It's a WHITE powder after all. Also, while the cornstarch may feed bacteria, how much can it really do that? Logically, it will be sitting over a layer of moisturizer or foundation, and it's washed off every day, so it's got a bit of things in it's way. I also really need to address the packaging, because it sounds a lot worse than it is in other reviews. Yes, sifter has a lot of holes so a lot can come out, but in my experience, I haven't had problems like that and I have them all uncovered. Just a couple taps and I get enough, not TONS. Also, the powder can easy go back below the sifter. Put the cap on and give it a tap. I like simple, minimal packaging and this is it. Cheap. One final thing, this stuff works as a primer too! Tried using it before foundation a couple times and interestingly enough, MAC lists this under primer, NOT powder, on their website, so there must be something to that after all. But it feels weird to put a liquid over a powder so I won't be experimenting with that any more.

OVERALL: I'm gonna try Maybelline Mineral Power Finishing Veil, Photoready's Translucent Powder, or MAC Careblend next. I don't want shine, but I like a little "glow" and P&P removes it. Too matte for my dry skin. And while it works good on bare skin, it is way too expensive to use it just for that. I'd say it's better for normal-slightly oily skin or those who use really dewy foundations and want to neutralize the the finish. Once it mixes with oils too, it will probably appear neutral and not matte anymore. A lot of the people who say it doesn't control oil that much, I think that is kinda on purpose, otherwise the finish may be less transparent.

on 6/10/2011 7:09:00 AM

UPDATED2: I dug out my sample of Meow top cat powder, based on another reviewer's suggestion. It's true: Meow is better than this, it does not leave any white cast. UPDATED: I'm disliking this product more and more. If it performed outstandingly I could forgive the slight whiteness - but it doesn't. It's just very average. Blah. **** This powder is okay. Only okay. Itís certainly not the best powder Iíve ever used. True, it is better than the Dior extreme fix which left me with a talcum-powdered look Ė this actually is transparent, IF you apply it extremely lightly. However, it still gives my face that slightly pale effect although itís not possible to see that itís the powder actually doing it since it is transparent, if you see what I mean. I was just wondering why I looked paler than normal. Iím pretty fair, around NC20 perhaps. I absolutely canít see how the lovely chocolate-skinned SA could possibly have worn this powder, even though she claimed she did! The powder also does nothing for my pores and I canít understand all those raves. In order to avoid emphasising the pores on my nose I need to apply more there, using a puff, and thatís when it gets really white and obviousÖ.. It does hold the shine reasonably well, but nothing special. The pot is travel friendly but you get an incredibly small amount of product. Conclusion: another waste of money, though it could absolutely work for very pale people. Better loose powders include Giorgio Armani, Bobbi Brown and Becca.

on 4/12/2011 4:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Based on all the good reviews about this powder, I thought it would be good.
I went to a MAC counter and tried it. It looked great, my face looked flawless and even. The same day when I came back home and removed my makeup I noticed my face felt dry. I didn't let that bother me but when I put on the powder on the next 3 days and my face felt even more dry and tight, I knew it was this powder. So this went straight back to the MAC counter. I had to use 3 different moisturizers over my face to hydrate it and make it feel comfortable again.
It is funny because I am acne prone, but it looks like my face is dry too.
I wouldn't recommend this to anyone with similar skin problems.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

At first this was a seemingly amazing product for me. It instantly seemed to hide my pores and other imperfections, made my skin look and feel velvety smooth. I looked flawless and glowy. But as the day went on I started to feel sort of dissappointed. I thought this would help control shine, but after two hours I was a greasy mess. My crater-like pores were back, and my skin didn't look velvety or glowy anymore. Dissappointing. Already returned it.

on 3/14/2011 8:48:00 AM

I donīt like this stuff at all. I'm always among Nars, LM, MUFE or even Airspun, but I decided to give a try to my beloved MAC and.....I'm disappointed...
I've medium to tan skin in winter and I get very tanned during summer so, when I use this, it seems I put a thick layer of talc over my face, awful. On the other hand, itīs not exactly 100% silica, so sometimes I feel my skin a little itchy. And the last thing is I feel it's too matte for me. It does a really good job keeping oilies at bay, but it dries too much my skin kinda if I was using Nars sheer matte instead of sheer glow!!! Definitely, won't repurchase.

Made me break out horribly. Took me a while to figure out what the culprit was because I didn't think it could be this powder. But after eliminating it from my routine, my skin cleared. I also really didn't care much for the finish. I have never used a finishing powder before, but was curious to see the results. Made my skin feel very smooth, but visually there was no difference. and definitely not worth the extra pimples.