CHANEL Cristalle Eau Verte

CHANEL Cristalle Eau Verte

3.6

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

My skin usually holds onto perfumes, but Eau Verte had gone in less than 3 hours. The first hour is lovely - a truly refreshing blend of lemon, bergamot and mandarin with a distinct grassy green note which prevents the scent from becoming too sweet. I can't smell any floral notes at all until the drydown, which is an unremarkable vaguely floral-powdery-musk. Both the edt and edp are by far superior - I love the edp, which is more floral and less bracing than the edt - so I won't be buying this one.

on 5/10/2009 7:52:00 AM

This is quite lovely. It's also quite weak, and so I was surprised to see it sold as 'Eau de Toilette Concentree.' In my experience it doesn't have great staying power and lasts around two hours. I don't see any similarity between this and the original 'Cristalle,' which, overall, I prefer. I see 'Eau Verte' as more of a refreshing pick me up, a quick citrus fix. I like the emphasis on mandarin and the hint of magnolia. But I can think of other, similar fragrances which have more personality and more staying power.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Contrary to the review below, I have got a bottle of Cristalle Au Verte in 100ml EDT Concentree. I am a follower of the original Cristalle and was really excited to see an undated version of this classic scent.

I must say that C.a.V smells more tangy and high on the nose initially due to the lemon and bergamot top notes. Very different from Cristalle that is a citrus fresh with a fruity sweetness to this.

As this dries down, I catch the whiff of magnolia which i do not really fancy. But the base smells of a nice Iris which is a bit musky and after smelling this when on my skin for about 3 hours now it has the feminine touch of jasmine.

As this is an EDT still, the lasting powers is about 6 hours tops. I will love to occasionally change to C.a.V but mostly will still stay with the original edition nonetheless.

on 4/13/2009 1:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I wish I could say 'maybe' to this one, given I haven't really bought it and I am not sure I will. So, keep in mind, I am commenting on this fragrance based on testing it 10 times so far, but not actually owning it :-)

I am a huge fan of the original Cristalle, but I can assure, I am not trying to be a "purist" here and I am keeping my mind (and nose) open. In general, I like most Chanel fragrances. For reference, I like Allure and Allure Sensuelle, Coco, No 5, No 19 and Cristalle, so I do have a broad taste when it comes to Chanel fragrances. I also like some of their boutique fragrances, such as Coromandel and Rue Cambon. The only Chanel fragrance I truly dislike is Coco Mademoiselle. On Chance I am neutral - neither like nor dislike.

If in the right mix, I do like citrus fragrances, which is what Eau Verte is. Eau Verte is an attempt to launch a fresher version of the classic Cristalle fragrance (BTW, I already think of Cristalle as a "fresher" fragrance), similar to what Chanel did with No. 5 and Eau Premiere. While I have nothing against Chanel doing this, I honestly think they should name these new fragrances differently, as this way one cannot help but compare it to the original. There is nothing wrong with Eau Verte if you like intense citrusy fragrances which dry down to a very soapy finish. At least, that is my impression of this fragrance. To me, this does not resemble the original even closely (to my dismay, but maybe to someone else's joy), which as mentioned, is one of my all-time Chanel's favourites. So, in that way, it's not like what Eau Premier is to No. 5 - a more wearable and modern version of No. 5.

Eau Verte, as mentioned, opens intensely citrusy. It's not bad, especially if you like citrus notes, but I find it just a bit too much, almost like I am peeling a piece of fruit. The citusyness disappears relatively quickly and is replaced with a soapy drydown, which is not bad, but essentially, nothing special. To me, Eau Verte is just a non-descript fragrance, which could be just any other fragrance and not a Chanel.

The longevity of this fragrance is poor, I've had it disappear on me after an hour or so. This is probably one of the main reasons (along with the non-unique scent) why I have not purchased it so far and probably won't. I am personally sticking with the original.

BTW, the fragrance comes only in one concentration and size - EDT 60 ml. Forgot to ask how much it costs, but I would think about the same as the original Cristalle EDT 60 ml.

on 4/6/2009 6:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Delicious and refreshing fragrance. Starts off with a bright lemony citrus and the citrus continues into the heart of the fragrance. A touch of green comes in which adds a slightly grassy effect, then joined by a sweeter floral. I find the heart of the fragrance to be the best - to me it smells like lime with some light floral/green. Dry down has the Chanel vibe to it, with most of the citrus gone. Deliciously green and refreshing with no annoying/jarring notes. Eau Verte smells so much better on me than Cristalle edp. Will want to buy a bottle for summer.

Freshly applied on my wrist, Cristalle Eau Verte developed into the most exquisite mandarin - round and fully faceted yet sharpening to a finely honed pique, but at the same time not actually sharp at all - hovering above fresh pale flowers, an armful, with a hint of green. The two layers did not blend, but existed separately, in harmony and a complement to each other. There's hardly any sweetness to this scent, and that makes it truly refreshing. I must say, it's all about that excellent mandarin top, and I do wish the whole experience lasted longer, but after only an hour I can barely detect anything. It's gorgeous but maddeningly fleeting. At least it didn't break down or turn crude. Chanel markets this as an Eau de Toilette Concentree, but to be honest that label is misleading. No sale for me, but it still gets a thumbs up and a recommendation for anyone to at least give it a test drive.