Chanel Cristalle Eau Verte

Chanel Cristalle Eau Verte

3.6

on 2/18/2010 1:10:00 PM

I adore this scent and I'm not typically a green-scent lover. That being said, it's not really a "green" scent in my opinion. it's a soft floral. I think it's soft enough for the most sensitive noses - which is shocking for Chanel. I have worn many Chanels but this is my one true love. I tried No19 EDT & original Cristalle - but both were just too powerful for me. this has enough soft flower to it to balance it out.

I am not crazy about the plastic parts in this $105 bottle. to be honest, my sprayer isn't working that well and I may exchange it and see how another one goes. I think the bottle looks lovely and I do love the white top...but it's plastic.

you do get a large amount for your money - and it's soft enough that I spray on 3-5 sprays.

for reference, I like the following perfumes:
SJP Lovely, Burberry Brit EDT, Ralph Lauren Romance, Chanel Allure EDT, Chanel Chance EDP. continued >>

This isn't an obvious Chanel type to me. Where as I cannot stand the original Cristalle, I was surprised to find that I love the Eau Verte after first smelling it on the SA. I don't know why the two are related though as I see no relation. To me its quite an herbacious, natural smelling scent, opens with a fresh almost sherberty burst and settles down into the skin, which makes a lovely subtle, anytime light scent when I don't want to overpower. I got this as a gift as I wont purchase such a huge bottle at such a hefty price. It only comes in a big size, which I think is a set back, since not everyone wants a great big bottle, hence knocking a lippy off.

on 1/22/2010 3:24:00 AM

Unfortunately this is not for my taste. I enjoy fresh perfume smells but this one has a bit too much green and citrus in it for me. I am sure many women enjoy it but my nose isn't happy with this one. Lasting power is great though!

on 12/4/2009 11:05:00 AM

Spray Cristalle Eau Verte and be immediately returned to a moment in 1968 when someone's older brother, a college football hero, returned home for Christmas wearing a letterman's sweater and cheap, tangy mantle of Jade East cologne. Jade East was all flashy lemon and no substance, as tart on top as citric acid, and the same welcome blinds Eau Verte.

Eau Verte is as relatable to Cristalle as Lemonheads are to real lemons; it is that startling, puckery (and slightly trashy) opening that makes you think of the terrible genre of men's citrus colognes and perhaps miss what lies beneath. A shadow of original Cristalle's florals remains behind a new addition of magnolia, a note which is generally described as being "creamy" and which texturally adds a noticeable and desirable weight to the citrus-cologne properties of Eau Verte.

Eau Verte is both sprightly and lightweight luxurious. As the burst of citrus fades into the lemony magnolia, the composition becomes smoothly sweet and powdery the longer it wears. A touch of original honeysuckle remains, as does a fleeting dart of the melon that tempers Cristalle EdP, but without much herbal accent. Jasmine note is of the "clean" variety, meaning that indoles have been sanitized and what you smell is virginal jasmine, cloaked in white without the brown rot of age.

Not much can be said about the basenotes of Eau Verte. It's essentially a cologne based around magnolia with non-gourmand sweet tones and a "freshness" that seems right on target in the marketplace, but better rendered. I find it a bit frightening, but only in the sense that it is so diametrically opposed to the idea of classic perfumery as it stood prior to the universal need for synthetic "clean" smells. Eau Verte has no life cycle, no birth and decay and death (see: Patou 1000). It is fragrance and life in a sterilized vacuum, but in this case it is a nice-smelling vacuum, if a vacuum we must inhabit.

continued >>

Smells like something you can get from L'Occitane for half the price. But with the current trend of releasing a new fragrance every half a year, we really can't expect a masterpiece every time. Does not smell anything like Cristalle edt or edp, but smells good in its own way.

on 9/22/2009 3:00:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

When I first tried it, I hated it. The top note is such disgustingly sweet lemon scent. It felt as id I’d rubbed lemon all over me. Luckily, after an hour, the lemony scent has passed and the drydown (warm, slightly oriental) is much more pleasant. As with all Chanel fragrances, it has very long staying power. I wouldn’t repurchase simply because I cannot stand the top notes.

on 8/13/2009 4:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I tried this about 5 times before deciding that I could live without buying it (for the moment). I was quite excited to try this when I heard that Chanel were doing another version of Cristalle, however apart from a citrus burst in the opening (which it couldn't even be called Cristalle anything if it didn't have!), it's just another citrus, fresh summertime scent, a bit disppointing really. Chanel just seemed to have churned this out and charged a lot for some 'concentree' form that lasts for no more than a few hours. It's a nice non-offensive fragrance but nothing special. I personally prefer the original EDT version. UPDATE:10/07/09 I spray this nearly evey week at the perfume shop and actually like it more (Upped my rating). I can't smell this at all after spraying but everytime I had it on my sister said she could smell something lemony and nice. Usually I would just go out and buy it but as I said I can live without it for the moment. I'm going to ask for it for my Birthday instead! UPDATE:18/11/09 Bought this today, Debenhams were doing 10% off everything in the cosmetics hall + I had a gift voucher.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Boy am I not having any luck with Chanel this year! I tried this fragrance twice - loved the bottle and the colour of the liquid, and I was hoping for a light fragrance for the summer and this looked like just the ticket. Mais non, this wasn't it. It smelt so citrusy along with something else that was underlying and really on me, not that pleasant. Almost a male fragrance, a tad lighter though. From Chanel, I think I still expect some old word complexities, yet I found this an almost linear fragrance. Nope, not for me.

on 6/6/2009 3:32:00 PM

I don't care for it. Strong lemon & bergamot, quite plain, lacks originality.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

My skin usually holds onto perfumes, but Eau Verte had gone in less than 3 hours. The first hour is lovely - a truly refreshing blend of lemon, bergamot and mandarin with a distinct grassy green note which prevents the scent from becoming too sweet. I can't smell any floral notes at all until the drydown, which is an unremarkable vaguely floral-powdery-musk. Both the edt and edp are by far superior - I love the edp, which is more floral and less bracing than the edt - so I won't be buying this one.

Popular Fragrances