MAC Cosmetics Hello Kitty Brush Set

Hello Kitty Brush SetHello Kitty Brush Set

3.2

on 2/14/2009 3:00:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I got this brush set and then returned it a week later. First things first, when I went to wash the brushes the soap I was using turned black! It took me about 3-4 washes to get all the black dye out.

Then when I went to use the 187 it shed a lot on me for the first 3-4 uses. Oh and it shed when I was washing it too. I found it to be kinda of scratch as well. The bristles on the brushes don't nicely line up? Like there are quite a few bristles that are kinda gone awire and not nicely matching the rest of the bristles to form the brush (this was for all the brushes)

Then eye shadow brush was alright, this one I found to be the best quality of the three. Probably cause it's so small and how do you go wrong with an e/s brush? It was good for packing on pigments

The 109 was SO tiny, like it's the brush the is the most different from the original in terms of size. I have no idea what you could use this brush for. Unless you want to put on your powder/brush in very small areas.

The holder is REALLY cute, I was really sad about returning this for the holder. I basically bought the set because of the holder and because I wanted a 187 brush. I don't think $60 CND is worth it for just the holder though. I returned and got the too dolly palette which I really like. I think I'll wait for EDM to come out with their skunk brush and then I'll get it. They're brushes never leaked dye on me or sractched me or sheded on me. And they cost $8! Way better quality IMO.

Perhaps I got lucky, but my brushes are really not that bad at all - particularly the 187 & 239. I absolutely agree that they are not comparable to the full size brushes, however in my experience the sets never are. As far as the cup goes, it is sturdy and can hold a decent amount. It also has a felt type material on the bottom so it won't scratch or stain whatever surface you put it on, and if you are a fan of Hello Kitty it goes without saying that the look of the cup is a total bonus.
When it comes to the price I guess that is the issue that is most open to debate. I can see where people feel that it is overpriced but overall it is all in the way you look at it. For me, I have no regrets and am pleased with the set. Hope this review helped.

on 2/14/2009 12:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

i bought this set because i love hello kitty & its a cute little set. my brushes are soft & i while washing them, they didnt have a lot of dye coming out of them which was good. i do my mu on my way to work or at work, so these are perfect for me. i love the full size mac brushes & my other full size brushes, but they are not convenient for me while im trying to do mu on the run. the cup is very sturdy & it can hold full size brushes :)
the only downside is the price-its too expensive.

on 2/13/2009 11:51:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I'm not really a Hello Kitty fanatic but I saw this and I wanted to buy it for the brushes. I have never owned any SE brushes but I do own the full sized brushes which are in the set. I bought these because I would like to use them for travel. I do agree that they are on the expensive side, bought mine for about $49.50, but overall I don't regret it. Mine are not scratchy at all. As soon as I received them I washed them and laid them out to dry. I have already used them a number of times and they seem to be working fine.

on 2/13/2009 11:34:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Don't believe all the negative hype!
This brush set is NOT THAT bad.
People who haven't even gotten it yet are writing negative reviews for it...WTH?
I am one of the few who bought this set for the actual brushes.
Maybe I got a good batch- my 187 is not "blue-tinged".
I don't find any of them "horrible" or "scratchy". The quality is definitely not as good as the regular sized brushes, but they are still useful! They still work. They are great for travel.
The little brush holder is good for holding all my mini brushes and mascaras.
I took off one lippie for the price. It cost me $58 CAD plus tax, and in my opinion it is not worth that much. I don't recommend getting this unless you like mini sized brushes.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't get all the hate for this set. Yes, the brushes aren't as amazing quality as the full size ones, but they are a lot cheaper, and therefore more cheaply made. They are not terrible or scratchy, in my opinion, and are the perfect size for throwing in your makeup bag in your purse or for traveling. Plus, all three brushes are good ones I will use a lot.

on 2/13/2009 9:27:00 AM

It's not THAT bad.

Hello Kitty holder is great, it holds my full sized ones with no problem.

The brushes are alright. If you're a beginner and starting out with brushes, I recommend getting this instead to play around with the brushes and then upgrading yourself to the full sized ones lolz :)

But I loveeeee the handles...but that's just my opinion (it's easier to clean plastic than wood haha)

on 2/13/2009 7:59:00 AM

I didn't buy this product but I couldn't stand not giving my peice for this product. The brush holder is of high quality but the brushes especially the 187se was extremely flimsy and abrasive. The other two eye brushes were highly abrasive even when applying a cream based product. The brush holder itself is made of high quality grade polished plastic and is very thick so it won't break easily. It also has a velet base so you won't have to worry about your brush handles getting scratched or smashed up.

on 2/13/2009 4:22:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Sorry but I actually am fond of this set. This was the first thing I put on my list when I saw the HK collection. The high rating of this is based on the cuteness factor. The cup is very cute and good quality, it has nice non-slip felt on the bottom and it even holds up when I put my long handle MAC brushes in it (see my pic). The brushes it comes with are "eh" but, they will come in handy for travel. The 187se is like a bootleg version of the real 187. Its the same size as the 187 but its plastic-y and has a blue tinge (weird). I have the 187 and I use it for pigmented blushes. I use 187se in this brush for a highlighter and it worked just fine. The eye brush seems close in quality to the normal 239 and does a good job on shadows. The 109 (if that's what they want to call it) is super tiny! I laughed out loud when I read it was supposed to be a 109 (since these brushes aren't numbers- hate that too). Still figuring what to use the baby 109 for, probably just use for blush when I travel or something. This is so cute which makes up for the mediocrity in my view.

on 2/13/2009 2:46:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The 2 lippies are for the cup, the brushes in my opinion deserve no point at all. I have all three brushes in full size, which are 187, 109, and 239. If you place the full sized one side by side with this SE one, you can clearly see the difference without touching it. The white hair for 187 is very low quality with a pale bluish hue. The 109 is only half the size of the original, 239 is rougher than full sized. I think these are worse in quality compared to the Heirloom set for sure, can't comment on the Passionately red since i do not own any.
If you only want the cup, buy a mug/container from Sanrio, way better quality and cheaper. This cup is too low to hold the full sized ones anyways.

Popular Makeup Brushes