Lancôme Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup

3.7

on 8/27/2010 7:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I've used this product for a long time now and I am just writing the review on it now. The powder color is too light for me, but I will not based the product based on that. The coverage from powder is next to nothing and they advertise it as a foundation. Don't expect any coverage from this. It's probably okay to finish off your foundation, but it can look powdery. I have to keep touching up with this powder since it tends to fade or something. The oil control is not great at all. I try to use it to get rid of oily look, but it ends up looking cakey. That is probably my fault but overall, I will not purchase this again. There are other products out there that's worth spending on and for much less. For example... Clinique Almost Powder...

on 7/18/2010 5:07:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Cool

This is a very good powder foundation for normal and combination skin types. This powder is not for very oily or very dry skin types.

It comes in a gray boxed packaging with the lancome enblem on the box, an instruction booklet (more like an information manual about the product: who its for, how to use it, that kind of thing), an included sponge wraped in tight plastic packaging within the box, and the shiny black compact with an included pink and white powder puff with the lancome enblem sketched on it. This compact has the lancome name sketched in gold on the top closure part.

My experience getting matched at the counter was extensive, because there are so many shades to choose from. But despite the many shades, only one shade worked the best for me and matched my neck tones perfectly. So, i'm assuming that for every other woman, only one shade will perfectly match her.

The colors to choose from are skin true shades, with emphasis on undertone, cool (pink or red undertones) and warm (olive or yellow undertones).

The finish varies by the tool that you use. If you use the included sponge, the finish will be full coverage matte, and if your oilier, you'll have to touch up throughout the day, but its certainly not as much touching up as with liquid makeup (so thats a plus!). If you use a brush, the finish is light to medium coverage soft mattte, which actually leaves a glow to your skin and doesn't emphasize fine lines (great tool for normal/combination skin).

My skin type is normal to slightly dry (i have peeling issues if i don't use moisturizer after I cleanse, even in the summer), but I do get oily throughout the day due to humidity in the summer. Although my skin is normal, i prefer a matte finish, just to look smooth and fresh all day.

I use an olay complete spf 30 sensitive skin moisture lotion before I apply makeup (after cleansing and exfoliating of course!), which works as a moisturizer and primer.

Then I apply Lancome's Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup with a powder brush (i'm planning on getting sonia kashuk's retractable, right now i have her full size white handled powder brush, trish mcevoy also has soft brushes, but i bought hers off ebay because her line is very expensive) in shade Matte Miel Fonce (C) (b/c i have red undertones), and blend to medium-full coverage. If you use a brush your skin can still show through without emphasizing fine lines and looking too made up.

Two things I don't like about Lancome's Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup are the following:

The formula is NOT transfer resistant. Particularly when you use the included sponge (or a replacement sponge, i recommend sonia kashuk's non-latex white sponge, its the softest and most blendable), this makeup gets everywhere: on my clothes, on my hands. I can't even touch my face in distress of anything without this makeup transfering to my fingertips.

While using a full size or retractable powder brush the dual finish is a little more transfer resistant, but not by much.

All powders leave a stain anyway, because their powders. So the transfer issue is not a big one.

The second thing I have an issue with about this makeup is that no shades in intensity IV are available in the fragrance free formula. I think Lancome should definitely add three shades in the intensity IV range to the fragrance free dual finish shade collection.

And actually my opinion on that is a little stronger, I actually think that lancome should transfer all shades to the fragrance free collection, and leave the regular dual finish to just a few shades from each intensity, because more women have senstive skin now, due to the sun and the change in seasons and extreme weather conditions.

The price of this product is roughly 35 US dollars, but its not really an issue, because of all the benefits included.

I will definitely repurchase.

on 6/17/2010 6:53:00 PM

One of the best makeup powders I have ever used. Although it is more on the pricey side for me, it's definitely worth it! I apply the product with a brush and it makes my face look matte and natural. I bought this and there was a GWP promotion at The Bay, so it was definitely a good deal!

on 6/13/2010 12:11:00 AM

(neutrale II)

I love love love this product.

I'll be honest and say I didn't like it at all as a foundation. I used it dry over my moisturizer and primer and it made my skin dry and flakey-looking. The coverage wasn't that great either and touch ups (for slight shine that occurred around my T-zone) just made my face caky and flakier-looking each time.

I gave it a second chance as a finishing powder over my bare minerals foundation (which isn't outstanding at controlling shine in southern humidity) and I fell in love. The powder gave my face an even and matte finish, which lasted hours before I had to dust over again.

As a finishing powder for a flawless look, this works wonders.

this is the perfect powder for my skin. it doesn't make me look cakey, and a very sheer but good coverage. it can be used for so much purposes: i use a brush to brush it on for light coverage, the small pad in the compact i use for covering small blemishes, and the circle sponge given i use for full on face coverage, so i basically have a powder, concealer, and foundation in one package. and i got this on sale. i'd definetely buy again

on 5/11/2010 5:19:00 PM

This product did not control my oil whatsoever. I think this product would be heaven for people with normal/dry skin, but if you have oily skin - caution.

I used it as a setting powder over my Revlon Colorstay and although it looks very nice, my face was so shiny after a few hours. I know my skin well enough to say that this product will not work for me. It's going straight back to the store. I swore by Maybelline Dream Matte Powder until I decided I wanted to try this out. Lesson learned, don't fix something unless it's broken.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

Lancome's Dual Finish powder is wonderful. It doesn't give me an extreme amount of coverage (I haven't found a single powder foundation that does), but it makes my skin look like butter whenever I have it on. It is also great in helping to keep my liquid foundation last all day and look extremely smooth. This powder does have a bit of a perfume scent to it (it reminds me a lot of an older/classy woman) At first, the smell bugged me, but I adore it now that I haven't gotten used to it. If you're afraid though that the smell is going to irritate you, the Lancome counters do sell a fragrance-free version. I haven't tried this product wet, but I am fully satisfied with just using as a powder. As a note: I am an NC42 in Mac and I bought this compact in Matte Honey III.

on 4/5/2010 9:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was little disappointed with this. I thought the coverage was decent for a powder foundation. It looked natural, seemed to tone down the redness in my cheeks, and even out my skin tone. It was also quick and easy to apply. But I thought this was supposed to leave your skin matte? After applying and for the rest of the day, my skin still looked a bit shiny all over. When I touch my skin it feels slightly oily and just the tiniest bit sticky from the oils. I was expecting that nice smooth feeling after putting on a powder but it didn't happen. If this stuff can't handle my oily skin in this mild weather, then it would be a nightmare in actual hot weather. I suppose I could put on a finishing powder to control oil, but in my opinion, if I'm spending that much money I should not have to doctor it up. I loved the large mirror b/c I could see my whole face. The smell wasn't too bad but not something I enjoyed. I'll be returning this and continue the search for summer makeup.

on 3/18/2010 8:36:00 PM

I don't like to wear foundation, but when my acne flares up and my skin's looking really red, I reach for this powder... Coverage is great; colors are great. Doesn't prevent my face from getting greasy (my skin is oily), but face still looks better than it would without the powder. At the very least, one application keeps oiliness at bay from mid-morning until early-afternoon.

on 3/18/2010 3:30:00 AM

I didn't like this powder at all. I have had it for 3 days, and will try it for the rest of the week, but it is an honest disappointment from Lancome.

Pros:
-There is a very wide color range. There is also a chart which helps find your shade (at the counter).
-The compact is very stable and not likely to fall apart in my purse. It's also slim and classic looking.
-It is fragranced, which could be a plus for some, but to me it's nice and another pro.

Cons:
-It oxidizes, badly. When I put it on in the morning, it matches perfectly. By the end of the day, I have friends asking me where my sudden tan came from. It doesn't turn orange, fortunately, but it does darken a lot.
-It feels heavy. it doesn't look heavy or cakey, thankfully, but it feels horrible. When I've worn this powder/foundation, I feel like I have so much on my face, and I'm honestly uncomfortable and self conscious for the rest of the day.
-It doesn't control oil. I have shine on my nose within a few hours, and shine on my cheeks as well, which never happens. I couldn't imagine someone oily ever using this.
-I wish the packaging had room for the additional sponge. The sponge is completely useless, but if they're going to include it and someone expects to use it, it should at least fit in the compact.
-It transfers, which makes me scared to hug anyone with a light colored shirt in fear of leaving a powder mark.
-It is expensive, almost $40 with tax. I have paid $60 for certain foundations, so I'm not sticker shocked by the high end price, but more the fact that it doesn't work even though it comes from a high end company and costs so much.

I would not repurchase this, and honestly even if I got it for free, I wouldn't use it.