Lancôme Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup

Filtered by age: 19-24
Lancôme Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup

3.7

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This is the first foundation I ever got because my mom had a partially-used one that was the wrong shade for her. So for the sentimental reasoning alone I don't think I'll ever stop using it =P

Anyways, now I use it as a setting powder with liquid foundation underneath. It works really well for that purpose; it makes my foundation smooth and last for a long time. I live in California so it tends to get really hot during the summer sometimes, and it never melts off and looks disgusting like some other powders. Sometimes on really hot days it won't be so awesome at controlling oil and I'll have to use blotting paper, but I'd have to do that with pretty much any powder.

The only downside for me is the cost. But one container usually lasts me a really long time, so it's worth it to shell out the money every once in awhile.

on 4/19/2011 6:23:00 PM

*****UPDATED REVIEW****

I like this powder. It covers up my imperfections (cheek redness, blemishes, chin from old acne spots) perfectly without being powdery. This is coming from someone who has DRY skin. I've never tried it wet because I've found that the coverage I get from being used dry is just fine. The trick is that you've got to apply it with a sponge. I would usually *never* recommend that (I always use my brushes for everything), since sponges could get dirty really quick, but that's the only way I've found that gives me great coverage. Just remember to replace it often.

So, to sum it up, here's all the pro's and con's with this foundation:

1) Great coverage. Can be super sheer (with a fluffy brush) and built up to medium/full with a sponge. I like the sheerness because I could use this as a setting powder for other skintones as well.

2) Not powdery at all. I have dry skin and this doesn't suck all the moisture out of my skin or make it excessively dry. Even when I've built the coverage up it never looks cakey. The results are always natural upon application.

3) Great color selection. I was lucky enough to get a perfect color match with the SA, however my little sister wasn't as lucky. I'm Matte Pearl I (I have fair skin, usually I'm neutral but in this brand I'm under warm and this is the 2nd lightest of the warm tones) and my sister is at least like... 4-5 shades darker than me. The SA matched her to Matte Porcelaine Dlicate I, which is even LIGHTER than me. Ridiculous! When I made a comment that maybe we should go a little darker, she just snapped back saying that she's been a MUA for 16 years. No joke- there's a picture of us in my profile, my older sis is on the left, I'm in the middle, and she's on the right. I don't understand how someone can be so off! Pffft. Okay, end rant, lol.

Now on to the bad...

1) Scent. I'm usually not sensitive to smells but I found this to be overly perfume-y. When I initially smelled it, I thought it was just fine. What bothered me was how long it lingered around for... It started to get nauseating. When my little sister smelled it she said, "It smells just like grandma!". At the time I didn't smell the powder yet, I just remembered back to the reviews and I said, "Oh, it's an old-lady smell?". She said, "No. Grandma just uses a lot of Lancome." Lol! I have to agree with her that I don't think it smells ''old lady'' at all, it's just floral-y. It does remind me of my grandma though, just because she's always buying a lot of Lancome. :) I know there's a fragrance-free version but it doesn't carry all of the shades, and unfortunately, it didn't carry mines.

2) It doesn't hold up well to oil. My skin isn't oily, but when I'm out in the heat I see this starting to cake up and looking obvious on my skin. :

Overall, it's a good powder and I think it's worth to at least try out. I took off 1 star because of the scent & for the lack of shades in it's fragrance-free version. I took another star off because of it's lack of oil control. This is the powder I'll be using for cooler months - but for the summer I'll be needing something else.

on 2/6/2011 10:50:00 AM

It was my HG foundation since middle school! :) before i graduated from high school, i only used powder foundation, this product and BE was my HG!! :)
even after i got into cream/liquid foundations and bb creams, i still use this product as my setting powder until I found my Bobbi Brown powder lol.
I like how dual finish compact comes in fragranced/fragranced free. and it has quite alot of colors. the color pay off is amazing, but when dusted lightly you can still get that translucent powder look! but no matter how much product you use the coverage is great; it also looks and feels light on the skin!
I am not to fond of the packaging, it looks very mature...a little too mature, not what a teen or a twenty year old would use.
The best thing about this powder is its shine control! wow.. it keeps me shine free, but not super matte! it just looks natural!! '

on 2/5/2011 12:00:00 PM

Got this in Macy's for around $30.

The SA helped me pick the color perfect for my skin.

Overall this product is pretty good. It helped keep my skin shine-free. No whiteness under photography.

My only con is that it wasn't the perfect shade for my skin. Apparently my skin is an "in between" skin shades -.- BUMMER. That's why I took off a lippie.

on 2/2/2011 1:14:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Although I think this is a little expensive, it's worth it! I love it. It's the perfect touch-up-half-way-through-the-day powder for me - I keep this in my purse. It even works to slightly conceal my undereyes if I need a little pick me up mid-day. I would buy it again, even due to the price. It has a bit of an "old lady" makeup scent, but I secretly like it because it reminds me of my Granny :)

I've used this before as a finishing powder in Matte Voile. It gives a nice, soft finish, and smells sooo good. However, I feel this powder clogs my pores, as lovely as it is. It works perfectly on my mom, who has drier skin, and she likes to use it wet also, which looks more natural. If you don't have sensitive, acne-prone skin, and aren't concerned with price, go for it!

on 12/17/2010 5:13:00 PM

Ok so this powder works well for me, I'm nc30 and wear the shade. Matte buff II. The shade is very well suited to my skin tone and the finish is so pretty. It doesn't look cakey but it keeps my skin matte all day. While I was pregnant my skin changed from oily to dry especially in the t zone. And this powder actually looks better than it used to. I'm still on my first compact and have had for well ove a year. A word of advice though, do not use the puff that it comes with I use a sonia kashuk face powder brush and the finish is flawless. Oh and the packaging is sturdy and the mirror is good quality I've dropped this so many times and it has never broken. for on the go touchups I use my too faced kabuki brush. Hope this helps.

on 12/6/2010 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really liked this powder at 1st, gave me a really porcelain skin look but had to gave up on this since it started to break me out like crazy! I got this in the lightest shade, matte porcelaine and it matched really well with my NC20-15 skin. The scent is very powdery..baby powder? and I find using the puff better than the sponge..the sponge seem to make the powder go darker on the skin or maybe it's just me ahaha

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I really hate to give a bad review for this product. I used it for a month, and honestly fell in love with it at first. The color match was perfect, and the coverage and finish was great!

Unfortunately, this product contains Mineral Oil (second ingredient) - which is a known skin irritant, and something I must be allergic to. It broke me out horribly after continued use. Luckily I was able to return it for a store gift card.

So overall, I think this is a nice product if your skin is okay with mineral oil - unfortunately mine isn't so it didn't work out for me. =(

Lancome is known for having foundations that don't provide the best coverage. This made my face feel tight after application, and I got shiny after an hour. I had to cake a lot on just to get some coverage. I have since moved on to Shiseido Smoothing Foundation and haven't looked back.