Hibiclens Antiseptic Skin Cleanser

Hibiclens Antiseptic Skin Cleanser
Hibiclens Antiseptic Skin CleanserHibiclens Antiseptic Skin CleanserHibiclens Antiseptic Skin Cleanser

4.6

Active ingredient: Chlorhexidine gluconate solution 4.0 w/v. Inactive Ingredients: Fragrance, gluconolactone, isopropyl alcohol 4 w/v, lauramine oxide, poloxamer 237, purified water, and red 40.

on 6/22/2009 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Update: This may work on cutting down acne, but it's too harsh on skin to use regularly. I have since stopped using it and have found a bit more relief w/ adding saw palmetto and a mask (Dark Angel by Lush) to my routine.

This stuff is no joke. Although I had pretty good results from Acne.org Cleanser, AHA, and BP; & it still seems like I'm barely winning the battle most days. I have been relatively patient b/c new cysts seems to die quicker, however it still doesn't seem to be really preventing new one's from developing.

I went out to my nearest Rite Aid to pick up a bottle Hibiclens after learning about it at Acne.org. I did as others suggested, cleanse w/ DK's Cleanser, then buffed w/ a non-abrasive facial sponge + Hibiclen. I left it on for 3 min then rinsed. I did get a mild amount of foaming w/ this method, unlike when just applying w/ fingers. It is also easier to keep away from the no-no areas when applying w/ a sponge or cloth. I follow w/ Decleor balm, AHA and spot w/ BP. No more scrubbing for me.

I think I might leave on for less time from now on. In any case, a developed cyst from today came to head w/in one wash, my overall tone was made very even and developing cysts seem to have stopped. All I can say is wow.

I'm only going to use this nightly, so not to overly dry my skin. I still think that DK's cleanser is good, but it's just not good enough to prevent breakouts. At least it doesn't add to it.

I think I can finally ditch the 2.5% BP, that has been causing red/brown discoloration in my skin. It is also not good to over use BP since it is an oxidant and slows skin healing. My skin is already starting to return to a normal color.

on 1/15/2009 9:50:00 PM

I read about this on acne.org. I do not really have acne, but I am more of a preventative type person who likes to stop problems before they start. But I do get about one breakout a month, usually around my chin. To be honest, I was very afraid to use this stuff in the beginning because of all the warnings. You have to be extra careful not to get it into your eyes, ears, or mouth. At first, I used it in the shower after my usual cleanser, because they say this stuff works on the skin for 6 hours after washing (so it's still fighting bacteria). But I hated that it would run all over my face and had the potential of getting into a place it shouldn't. So, I actually started using it as a spot treatment/mask. I wash my face as usual, and then I apply a very thin layer of this, being careful not to apply too much and make it runny. My face has been erupting(thanks to Paula's Choice BHA 2% liquid). I had this one bump on my cheek for probably a month that just looked like a clogged pore--not red or anything, but the BHA made it come out, and that thing was VISCIOUS. It never came to a head, and in my 24 years I have never had a blemish as bad as it. I had it for almost 3 weeks and thought it was going to stay forever, and then I started putting this on it, and it is almost gone. It helped tremendously. Give it a shot, and good luck!

on 1/14/2009 2:22:00 PM

Long review, sorry~

Background: 40 yrs old with highly acne prone, sensitive, combo skin(what a mess). I was extremely oily for the first 39 1/2 years of life. I've always had light to moderate acne. In the last 4 to 5 months I've become combo skinned with moderate jaw line acne. Additionally my pores have become clogged all over, ecspecially on my chin. I am allergic to BP so I must use salicylic acid. Ok so lets cut to the chase..I've tried many many acne washes and wipes. I've always been scared to death of anything with oil or that has any form of moisturizer (oily skin). I'm careful of my foundation (oily skin) as it always slides right off and/or turns a lovely shade of orange. I have very fair, pink skin. So I read the reviews for hibiclens here and on a few other sites. I figured why not? I've been using it twice daily for a week and a half. The results are not AMAZING but they are great. My skin is clearer, pores are most certainly less clogged. My acne is healing MUCH quicker and I'm less red faced all over.

I use this twice daily. First I use a bar of sulfur based soap for a general wash. Then I pour about a teaspoon of hibiclens into my hands and spread carefully over my face. I rub it in for about 30 seconds, then I add the same amount again and use a drug store brand buff puff single to lightly scrub my face. I use the buff puff singles with no medication on them. I get about 3 days per single. The trick after this is to let the foam sit on your face for at least 2-3 minutes before rinsing. Do not get this in your eyes. I find it does actually foam pretty good.

At night I follow this with the walgreens 8% AHA cream, which I started at the same time (thank you mua reviewers). Just a small dot on my cheeks, nose, chin and jaw line. In the morning my skin looks WAY better. Still an occasional blemish but the cystic acne is gone for the most part.

I will continue to use this as long as it helps. It was about $10.00 for 8ozs. The flip top lid makes it a little hard to dispense as the product is very very thin and pink (think kool aid). This has made great improvements to my skin. If you have acne prone skin this won't make it worse and it might help.

on 12/4/2008 5:53:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I have been struggling with cystic acne in my chin/neck area (hormonal, I think) for a couple of years now and have tried just about everything to treat it. I have been using Hibiclens for about two weeks now and I must say that my acne is FINALLY begining to clear up, and I've noticed that very little new acne forming !!! The product is a bit tough to work with because it is watery, so I've found that using a facial sponge, or Buff Puff, is the best way to get a good lather. The secret is to let it sit for atleast a few minutes before rinsing off (I have left it on for as long as an hour). You do have to be careful not to get the product in your eyes, mouth & ears, as the warnings on the bottle will state. A great thing about this product is that it is clearing my acne, but not drying out my skin- even in the cold, dry weather. I have high hopes for this product and will give another update after using it a bit longer.

Upate: I have been using this product for almost a month now and my cystic acne has cleared up tremendously. I also recommended this to my sister, who suffers from acne on her back, who also has had great results (better then she has ever seen). My skin is actually smoother and my foundation goes on great (as mentioned before, this product has not dried out my skin, leaves if very soft). I did find that in my case, I need to use this product religiously. I became lazy and did not use for a couple of days in a row and developed a large acne bump on my chin. I resumed useage and my face is cleared up once again! Anyone who suffers from acne needs to give this a try- well worth the under $12 investment !!!!!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

OMG this stuff is AMAZING at helping clear up my acne!! I hated using BP because its so drying and I read that it is actually a pro-oxidant which attracts free radicals that cause damage to the skin. So, I was looking for an alternative after making a mess of my skin trying the Oil Cleansing Method (which does not work for everyone!). I have gotten pretty good results with salisyclic acid treatments over the years but it wasn't working as well this time around. So, after reading up on it, I picked up some Hibiclens from my drugstore for $5 (its in a blue bottle usually near the bandaids) and it has literally changed my skin. It healed some lingering cysts, it has decreased my blackheads and I haven't had a white head since I started using this. The cons....DO NOT GET IT IN YOUR EYES or EARS. Its a pink thin liquid so you have to be careful. I use a buff puff single, put hibiclens on it, scrub my face---then using my fingers, I massage it into my skin for 2 minutes to give it time to kill the bacteria. Then I rinse and rinse. I also use a suncreen with spf 30 during the day and a good moisturizer at night. My skin is soft, not dry at all and so darn clear I just might go out in public without make up on!! I wish I'd known about this sooner. I guess better late than never--just for reference, I'm 36 with fair pale combination skin that is prone to acne. I know what a struggle it is to deal with acne, so I hope this helps if you're having issues with it, like I was.
EDIT: I have found that even if you don't want to use this as a face wash, it is still perfect for SPOT TREATMENT. It will get rid of a cystic acne spot almost overnight. I used to treat these spots with BP and it would typically take 2-3 or 4 days for it to go away and would always leave my skin very dry. Now, I just dab a bit of this on and by morning its usually on its way to being GONE...without the dry flaky skin that I was used to dealing with from BP. So, however you choose to use it, it is sooooo worth having in your medicine cabinet!