Hibiclens Antiseptic Skin Cleanser

Hibiclens Antiseptic Skin Cleanser
Hibiclens Antiseptic Skin CleanserHibiclens Antiseptic Skin CleanserHibiclens Antiseptic Skin Cleanser

4.6

Active ingredient: Chlorhexidine gluconate solution 4.0 w/v. Inactive Ingredients: Fragrance, gluconolactone, isopropyl alcohol 4 w/v, lauramine oxide, poloxamer 237, purified water, and red 40.

on 4/12/2013 5:32:00 PM

Condition: Eczema (severe random outbreaks, otherwise mild but chronic) and Acne (since age 13, am 27 now, I would say it's medium to mild acne).

Purchase date: Yesterday

How I use it:

Twice a day, massage into face for a few minutes and rinse. NO moisturizer afterwards, just a bit of vaseline on lips and other dry spots. I do not use ANY other cleanser than this on my face. I use Dr. Bronner's soap for hair and body, but nothing else.

I'm thinking I would wash my makeup brushes with this, as well.

Pros:

1. Acne AND eczema improved by at least 70% overnight. I cannot believe it.
2. Cheap price.
3. Need to use only a little bit.

Cons:

1. Had to go buy a different foaming bottle so that I could use this better because the liquid is very thin and not very easy to get a good foam going with just your hands.

What I've used for acne before: retinoid, oral antibiotics, AHA, salicylic acid, benzol peroxide, Acne.org lotion, glycolic peels, using only Dr. Bronner's soap on my entire body. Obviously none of these methods worked.

What I've used for eczema before: bleach baths (helps a bit), using only Dr. Bronner's soap and vinegar for hair and body (helps a bit), steroid creams (helps a ton but doesn't take away the breakouts, just deals with flakes).

on 5/7/2012 12:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

been using the product for about a month to trat skin infections and it if great .

on 1/2/2012 11:16:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Somehow this broke me out even worse and did nothing for my skin. I had really high hopes for this product but all it did was disappoint

on 9/8/2011 3:36:00 PM

I started using this as a last resort. I have been getting staph infections on my face for about 3 years now. I've seen numerous derms and they have really not done a thing for me. My last derm even joked about me being his patient for life. Needless to say, I was pretty desperate. I read online that Hibiclens could help with skin issues, including acne, which I can say has pretty much ceased since using this, even though that was not my main goal. (Not complaining!)
BOTTOM LINE: My skin is soft, clear, and healing from my last infection. I usually would have another one by now, but my skin is clear. I'll update eventually.

on 7/22/2011 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This stuff is amazing. It's a miracle product for me in fact.

I've tried every over the counter acne treatment and every drugstore cleanser, lotion, cream etc. I was also on a fairly strong anti-biotic for acne for a couple of years. Those worked at the time but I wasn't able to continue them.
My acne flared up again and it was getting to the point where I was waking up to a new patches of very sore spots and painful cystic spots, everyday. It started to really get me down.

I came across Hibiclens, (Hibiscrub in the UK), whilst desperately googling for something new to try. I got hold of some straight away and started using it twice a day. The very next day my skin had started to clear up. In 5 days it was 80% clear and in 2 weeks every single spot had gone. I still had a few reddish marks where they had been but within 2 months all those had gone too. It's been 4 months now and I don't have acne anymore. I get the odd 'normal' looking spot just before my period but it goes in a couple of days.

I have normal skin for the first time in 15 years and I put that down to using Hibiclens.

I use twice a day.I always wash my make up off first with a paraben free, oil free gel cleanser, then palm some of the red liquid and apply carefully with my fingers. I work it into a white creamy lather on my skin before adding a little water to foam it up slightly. Then finally squeeze eyes and mouth shut and rinse my cheeks with hot water, making sure to get it all off. As it continues to work over some hours, I don't moisturise at night so nothing can interfer with the process.

It is not made as a facial skin product so use with some caution. Don't get it anywhere near your eyes (screw them up tight and rinse very carefully), or your mouth and nose. It's very runny so you may find it easier to apply with a cotton pad depending on where you want it to go. The bottle can be awkward but easily dispensed into a little travel bottle with a pump if you like.

I would never be without it now. I wish I'd found it years ago.

on 5/13/2011 1:57:00 AM

I have very sensitive armpits and can't even use a typical deodorant, not to mention antiperspirant. I'm currently using Kiss My Face Liquid Rock Deodorant with good results, but ever since the weather warmed up, I start to stink by the end of my workday.
I bought Hibiclens at Target, applied it for 2 minutes under my arms in the morning, rinsed off and applied Kiss My Face. 12 hours later still no stink. I'm impressed. I'll repurchase, definitely.

on 5/12/2011 11:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

this stuff clears up acne like no other. it also helps with any other sores/wounds, and keeps them from getting infected.

actually, i love this mostly for the antiseptic smell... it smells just like a hospital. mmmmm.

on 12/13/2010 4:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Walgreens is now making a version of this that is $3-4 cheaper, has the same percentage of active ingredient, and DOES NOT INCLUDE RED DYE, which has been a problem for those of us who are sensitive to it. I bought Hibiclens to deal with a mild bout of folliculitis (caused by staph bacteria) on my legs. It wiped the infection out within a day, and I will always be keeping a bottle of this around to prevent any further infections. I could not use the original Hibiclens for my acne because the red dye broke me out horribly, so I'm really excited about the Walgreens version. I'm going to try this for my body acne for a couple of weeks and will update if I see any problems or improvements. As far as I can tell from the Acne Detective list, it does not have any known comedogenic ingredients (http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm) . The Walgreens version also foams up a bit more than the brand version, which is nice.

Guys...I have tried tens of products over the years, battling blackheads, red angry pimples, and the dreaded cystic acne that has left pits on my cheeks. My father said in passing one time to try Hibiclens. He had been advised to use it for something else, I believe, other than the facial area, but that's what he and I religiously use it for now!!!
My skin is genuinely 98% clear now. I kid you not. Battling with drying creams and ointments is gone. Also, after doing some research on this product, do NOT get this in your eyes, ears, nose, mouth, etc. I just take a bit in my hands, rub on my face, and use my Clarisonic Mia brush for 1 minute. It's actually used in surgical settings and there's no need to let it sit on your face/skin for minutes at a time. It can effectively kill bacteria in about the time it takes to wash your hands (part of its original purpose). Additionally, it continues to kill bacteria for 6 hours after it's on your skin, so covering it with multiple other chemicals, such as moisturizer, etc will actually minimize its effectiveness. All I can say is while I wish I'd found out about this product years ago, I am truly grateful for the amazing skin it's given me today!

on 11/28/2009 12:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I originally bought this to try on my face but haven't tried it for that yet. I had a cesarean over 15 years ago and every now and then the scar itches. I use this in the shower on the scar, then wash it off immediately and itch is gone. Also, sometimes under my breasts itch and I'll use this for that also and itch is gone. I get crazy back itch (but it's not bacne) and exfoliating helps but I tried Hibiclens on it and it worked great. I will not use it every day but maybe once a week. Have been using it for a few months now and so far so good. I can't recommend it for face acne (since I haven't used it for that) but for random body itches, this is HG. :)
Also great for keeping stinky feet under control. I highly recommend. I picked it up at CVS for about $11. A little goes a long way. It's very liquidy but I poured some in a foam pump and that works fabulously.