Lipstick Queen Medieval

4.3

(from packaging): phenyl trimethicone, silica, nylon-12, octyldodecanol, ozokerite, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, methyl methacrylate/glycol dimethacrylate crosspolymer, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax, octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, polyisobutene, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, beeswax (cera alba), simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, vegetable oil, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, limnanthes alba (meadowfoam) seed oil, hydrogenated vegetable oil, salix nigra (willow) bark extract, actinidia chinensis (kiwi) fruit extract, honey extract, vinis vitefera (grape) fruit extract, camelia oleifera (tea) leaf extract, tocopheryl acetate, retinyl palmitate, butylene glycol, water (aqua), microcrystalline cellulose, polysorbate 20, butylparaben, propylparaben, iron oxides (CI 77499). (from website): RICINUS COMMUNIS (CASTOR) SEED OIL CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE VEGETABLE OIL EUPHORBIA CERIFERA (CANDELILLA) WAX BEESWAX (CERA ALBA) ETHYHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE OZOKERITE BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA BUTTER) TOCOPHERYL ACETATE HYROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED OIL LIMANANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL MANGIFERA INDICA (MANGO) SEED BUTTER HYDROGENEATED OLIVE OIL BENZOPHONONE-3 ISOPROPYLPARABEN ISIBUTYLPARABEN BUTYLPARABEN IRON OXIDES 77491 IRON OXIDES 77492 IRON OXIDES 77499 RED 7 LAKE 15850 RED 33 LAKE 17200 YELLOW 5 LAKE 19140

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was reluctant to spend the $$$ on this because I was afraid I would like it too much...and I do. Now I am going to have to hunt it down and repurchase when I run out, and I am going to HAVE TO try some other Lipstick Queen lippies too. Sigh.

Poor wallet.

This is a wonderful sheer, but moderately buildable, subtle red. It feels soft and luxe on the lips. It doesn't have a lot of staying power, but leaves behind a lovely, even, reddish flush as it fades. For me it is the absolutely perfect daytime red, but sheer and subtle are the key words here.

Medieval is marketed as being the perfect sheer red for all skin tones. I found it to be kind of an unflattering bright orangey-red on me. For a sheer lipstick I found the formula to be surprisingly drying and not at all long-lasting. I bought it mainly because I believed the advertising. There are similar colours and better formulas out there without the price tag that comes with a heavily marketed indie hipness factor. I like the metal tube and the visual design of the packaging, though.

This is "only" USD$25 but I got it recently highly discounted for Ulta 21 Days of March 2016 beauty. I loved it I got lucky I guess ordering Medieval & FrogPrince never having even heard about (blind buy off Ulta.com FrogPrince was full retail $25 & Medieval was half priced), wish I had picked up another Medieval I put yes to rebuy but wow $25 is up there w my most expensive lippies eg Chanel, Urban Decay, EL, Clinique & MAC are my fave HE lippies & now these! I've started a LQ addiction ...go me!). This is dupe able by Bonne Bell Dr Pepper lipsmacker but LQ has a better color pay off, better color & is my "grown" self's Dr Pepper lipsmacker! It was an extremely satisfying blind buy, buy a Dr Pepper for your kid sister & a Medieval for yourself & ur mother. This does not have a long last to it, u will guaranteed have to reapply so make sure u pack it in ur purse for the day ur wearing it! I'm a sucker for mood lipsticks like medieval/FrogPrince LQ, Smashbox both "O" versions, LA Colors makes a gloss dupe for Smashbox; I had a generic mood lipstick for a $1 buck from dollar free I lost :-( , & have on order a Sephora mood gloss. I know it's not really the mood it's body chemistry & I'm easily amused but I love these kinda products. I get a real a real kick out of getting my own personalized color.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

I live in tropical Darwin and can be walking around outside throughout the workday in 30* C without a handbag, so I need to be able to have a lipstick in my pocket. Medieval survives the day! Not only does it survive it gives a great sheer flush of natural deep pink to my lips. Which has surprising staying power. Definitely much better than a balm.

I have also used it over sinner pink and it deepens the pink to a warm, rosey shade with a touch of shine.

Thank you Poppy I am so happy you are back.

This color is just gorgeous! I am always looking for a MLBB balm or stain, and having put off buying this for 6 years due to price, I finally caved. My lips naturally don't have any color, and I have to wear something to look lively. I have been using Lipsmackers for the tint. I would describe this as a grown up Dr. Pepper Lipsmackers+, because it actually shows up more, and is just as moisturizing with vitamin E. This is a new Holy Grail for me! Makes my lips look juicy and "just bitten".

This is the sheer red I've been waiting my whole life for! You know the color you used to get on your lips after eating a cherry popsicle when you were younger? This looks EXACTLY like that. It applies like a tinted balm, as many have already said, but the color is more noticeable and lasts longer than most tinted balms I've tried. If you're looking for major drama red lips, this won't do it for you. Personally, I LOVE how sheer this is - my natural lips show through, but they have the prettiest red tint to them. Will definitely repurchase.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Some readers here have called this a glorified lip balm, and I would tend to agree. But wow, what a lip balm it is. It does apply so smoothly and feels so luxurious I can't help but love it. A quick swipe and you really don't notice much color, but you do get a nice hit of sheer red as you build it up. I don't think the staying time is very long, but again, with the feel, the beautiful color and the lovely packaging, I love it and happily reapply. And if you apply a few swipes, you do get a more noticeable red, albeit still natural.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This lipstick is very moisturizing and is packed with pigment. It's a fun color to wear day-to-day.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I agree with other reviewers that this is really a glorified tinted lipbalm, but I am ok with that. I love how moisturizing it is and that I can put it on without looking. My favorite time to use Medieval is after you have worn a red lipstain for a few hours and you need some moisture on your lips. It fills in any gaps in color nicely. I think the pricepoint is pretty high considering and would really have to think twice about repurchasing.

I really like Medieval. A lot. But after my divorce, I was unable to afford spending over twenty dollars on what is basically a tinted balm...even if it is a really perfect color and consistency. It is not a lipstick, and can be swept onto the lips without a mirror. If I'm able to afford it again, I may purchase it as a splurge when I run out of my last tube, but I have found that a good sweep of lip balm and a very light touch of NYC Ultra Moist Lipwear in Sheer Red is just about a perfect match. Not as convenient, but at 1/22 the price, I'll take it. If the price is not a concern, though, Medieval is great!