Lipstick Queen Medieval

Filtered by skin tone : Fair

4.4

(from packaging): phenyl trimethicone, silica, nylon-12, octyldodecanol, ozokerite, butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, methyl methacrylate/glycol dimethacrylate crosspolymer, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax, octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, polyisobutene, persea gratissima (avocado) oil, beeswax (cera alba), simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, vegetable oil, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, limnanthes alba (meadowfoam) seed oil, hydrogenated vegetable oil, salix nigra (willow) bark extract, actinidia chinensis (kiwi) fruit extract, honey extract, vinis vitefera (grape) fruit extract, camelia oleifera (tea) leaf extract, tocopheryl acetate, retinyl palmitate, butylene glycol, water (aqua), microcrystalline cellulose, polysorbate 20, butylparaben, propylparaben, iron oxides (CI 77499). (from website): RICINUS COMMUNIS (CASTOR) SEED OIL CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE VEGETABLE OIL EUPHORBIA CERIFERA (CANDELILLA) WAX BEESWAX (CERA ALBA) ETHYHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE OZOKERITE BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA BUTTER) TOCOPHERYL ACETATE HYROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED OIL LIMANANTHES ALBA (MEADOWFOAM) SEED OIL MANGIFERA INDICA (MANGO) SEED BUTTER HYDROGENEATED OLIVE OIL BENZOPHONONE-3 ISOPROPYLPARABEN ISIBUTYLPARABEN BUTYLPARABEN IRON OXIDES 77491 IRON OXIDES 77492 IRON OXIDES 77499 RED 7 LAKE 15850 RED 33 LAKE 17200 YELLOW 5 LAKE 19140

I'm extremely pale with cool coloring and very pigmented lips. The first time I tried Medieval, I was a little disappointed because I could barely see it against my natural lip color. I finally realized its texture is so creamy and moisturizing that I don't need to wear any lip balm underneath it (which is how I had worn it the first time). Once the lip balm was out of the equation, the Medieval was much more visible. I love it! It's a wonderful color enhancement for those days when you're going for a subtle look. The texture is fantastic, too. My one minor complaint is that the color is a tiny bit warmer than my ideal shade, so I'd love to see the exact same product in a cooler rose/red.

I ordered this at the same time as Red Saint and both are my first foray into Lipstick Queen. I wanted this for several months after reading about it in Allure in the summer/early fall. When it was finally available, I had difficulty buying a $20 lip tint and paying shipping. When I saw that Barney's online site had free holiday shipping, I snapped up the opportunity to try this. The packaging is nice, I love art history and I am a high school history teacher so the name and influence was right up my alley. The tube is described well by other reviewers, but it is a substantial case that is a matte deep wine color with gold script. For reference I am NW15, neutral cool with blue/green eyes, dark brown hair (for now, lol) and non-pigmented lips. I also have a tendency to turn any lip product pink. This somewhat happened with this product. I wanted something I could swipe on and not be so pink, but this is. When I add 2 or 3 layers, it gets a deep wine/slightly red tint, but it's not really what I expected. That said, I do like it, but not for my original purpose. It is fairly moisturizing and does wear down well. It's not shiny nor matte, and it's not a stain in the sense that I am used to. Since it takes a few coats for me to be satisfied, I think I may go through this quicker than anticipated. But it is very nice, a much better color than Clinique Black Honey and not as berry as other stains I have tried. I think this would look great on just about anyone, but those with pigmented lips may not get as much payoff as those with lighter lips.

LOVE the texture of this balm/lipstick. It's extremely smooth, soft and moisturizing, thanks to the soothing vitamin E base. If I hadn't looked at my tube of Medieval (and seen the rich, candy apple red color) before slicking it on, I would have guessed that it was a very posh lipbalm. It leaves my chronically dry lips feeling smooth and happy, not tight or flaky the way they can with traditional lipsticks. It also seems that the ultra-moisturizing formula keeps the dry spots on my lips a little more camouflaged. No matter how much I exfoliate my lips, it seems like traditional lipstick draws attention to those spots, which is frustrating and not very attractive.

Color-wise, Medieval falls a little short of my expectations, but only because I was hoping for a true (but very sheer) red shade. On my medium-pigmented rosy lips, I get a sheer deepish rose shade from Medieval, not the cherry/blood red I was anticipating. It's still beautiful, don't get me wrong. It's just not quite what I expected.

I'm very impressed with the packaging on Medieval. It's my first Lipstick Queen product and from what I can gather, they're all as beautifully packaged as this is. Medieval comes in a satin finish, deep cherry red metal tube with elegant script on the outside and a small logo on the inner tube under the cap. It not only looks pretty but seems very sturdy (a good thing for someone like me who's hard on things).

PROS: (1) very smooth, moisturizing formula; (2) sheer finish makes this a red(dish) shade that's non-threatening and easy to wear; (3) classy, solid packaging; (4) all the comfort of a lipbalm with a sheer wash of color.

CONS: (1) not the true (sheer) red shade I was hoping for; (2) a little expensive for a tinted lipbalm.

This is *perfect!* The colour is a beautiful sheer reddish shade that is really natural. It gives a nice flush to your lips without being garishly bright and obvious.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I love Medieval, and I hope it's a permanent addition to the Lipstick Queen line. If you were to close your eyes and apply it, you'd think you were using a vitamin-E lip balm; it really does feel moisturizing, without being waxy. The color is a true, candy-apple red in the tube. However, on the lips, it's a much sheerer red, somewhere between a gloss and a stain. I apply one coat for just a tint of red, and two coats for more coverage. I'm a PPP with soft features, and this is one of the very few red-toned lip products that don't look garish on me. (Another one is Korres Wild Rose lip butter.) Beautiful matte red tube, competitive high-end pricing; high marks all around!

I love this color. If you have ever used Dr.Pepper lipsmacker, you will recognize the shade as virtually identical, but in a better packaged, more impressively hydrating form. It is sheer enough to be used for daytime, and bright enough to make a statement. Other reviewers have commented on this color being neither warm nor cool, but I find it to be on the cooler side, turning a subtle but still vibrant pink on my lips. Since I have a yellow undertone this color is in truth, not an ideal match for my coloring - but it's still beautiful and natural-looking. If you are a redhead (like my sister), then run to the nearest Barney's and purchase it - it's the perfect pout for you.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is from the LIPSTICK QUEEN line. It is called Medieval because Poppy King used the ancient method of squeezing lemon juice on the lips to cause irritation and make the lips look pink and full. This lipstick looks a deep red in the tube but comes out very sheer and slightly shiney on the lips. It feels lovely and moisturizing with a nice slip to it. It actually looks like you've had a really good make out session with someone who was a really good kisser, or as the english would say, you had a lovely snog with someone. This is one of those that is billed as one "everyone" can wear. I don't know about that but for a PPP with bluish eyes and red hair, it gives me that Botticelli lip, full and pink and lucious. It is $20 USD for the standard bullet tube, available on Poppy King's website.