NYX Professional Makeup Powder Blush - Taupe [DISCONTINUED]

NYX Professional Makeup Powder Blush - Taupe [DISCONTINUED]

4.2

on 3/11/2014 12:10:00 PM

NYX taupe blush is a nice contour powder for fair to medium skin tones. I first heard of it on Makeup Geek and that is where I eventually ordered it from. I think NYX products are good for their price and so was interested to see how is stacked up to other contours and bronzers.

This blush is good to use in the hollow of your cheeks, along the jawbone and to narrow the nose. I mostly find myself using it to narrow my nose. The color is quite light so the effect isn't garish at all.

I especially recommend this to the beginner - someone who is learning to contour. Since it is very affordable and effective it would be great for experimentation!

on 3/11/2014 10:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

As someone with very fair neutral cool leaning skin, this is the perfect contouring product. It is not a very pigmented blush, but because I am very fair, this provides just the right amount of color, and I can build this up for more dramatic effect if I so wish. The color is an almost red leaning grayish taupe, with no hint of orange. Perfect for me in the long winter months, although I tend towards a slightly warmer contour in the summer. I will often use this as an eye shadow as well, it makes a very natural crease color.

The consistency is fine enough. It's not as smooth or buttery as it could be, but it is not chalky or powdery either. It blends out nicely, which is the most important thing when contouring. It could stand to last a bit longer on my oily skin, but since my face eats most products I apply to it, I can't really fault the product.

If you have a medium skin tone or anything deeper, I can imagine this wouldn't show up at all. If you have a very warm skin tone, I can imagine this looking ruddy or even dirty on you.

I haven't found any other product to match this in both quality and price point, so I will continue to purchase this again and again. It's a staple in my daily routine.

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

This is the most perfect contouring shade for neutral/cool skin tones in the fair to light range. I wear MAC NW20, MUFE HD 117 for reference. I've repurchased this at least 3 times and will continue to do so. The product blends nicely and is just a touch on the sheer side, making it even more ideal for contouring. I use this with an oval shaped Ecotools brush and the pairing is perfection.

on 3/6/2014 9:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is perfect for contouring my fair, cool toned skin. It's a very natural colour that replicates shadow on cool, fair skin well. It is not very pigmented, and you need to be patient about building up the product depending on how fair your skin is.

Pros:
- Perfect contour colour for cool, fair skin
- Not too pigmented
- Looks natural
- It's cheap
- Does not break me out

Cons:
- Badly packaged (as with most cheap makeup)
- Requires patience for proper application (better for fair skin)

Hands down THE best contour shade for very pale skinned women. I stumbled across this online after becoming fed up of orange or red tinged contours. It wasn't overly cheap at 6.99 and the packaging is horrendous! I mean it is the cheapest junk, I've had better makeup packaging from the pound shop. Apart from the awful packaging, this really is a fantastic contour. A lovely grey/brown that mimics natural shadow perfectly. Smooth, buildable & long lasting. Highly recommended!

on 2/17/2014 12:05:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Sadly, didnt work for me. IMO its best for pale complexions as a contour color. On my very warm skin it was muddy grey; I simply looked dirty or sick with it on. The only use I got out of it was as a crease color; but ofcourse I own enough taupe shadows for that. This particular shade wasn't the easiest to come by so I desperately wanted it to work but I just couldnt. Luckily it was affordable atleast. IMHO if you dont have atleast neutral undertones if not some pink in your skin steer clear of this. Stick to matte non orangey browns like ones by TBS.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Love the shade of this product for contouring (perfectly cool-to-neutral brown that never looks orange or muddy on my NW20 skin), but it's too sheer to my taste! I've tried several brushes with the product, both stiff/densely bristled and fluffy, and I always feel like I'm fighting to get enough color on my brush. The color is buildable, but it takes a lot of time to really build it up on my cheek bones, especially when using my contour brush of choice (RT's Setting brush) which is moderately fluffy and already applies powders sheerly. While it's pretty easy to do very subtle contouring with this product, getting moderate to dramatic results is much harder to do. So while I do like it for my nose and my jawline (places where I never want more than a barely-there contour), I'm never really happy using it along my cheekbones. It takes too long to achieve the results that I want.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is for the old packaging with little triangles printed into the blush...

Pros:
- perfect grey brown for contouring, mimicks a real shadow

Cons:
- very dry and hard to blend, which is disappointing because other blushes in this line are not this way
- not super pigmented

I have since bought the HD version and is is MUCH easier to blend. However, it is still not super pigmented. Won't buy again

on 1/26/2014 7:44:00 AM

They reformulated this blush and it's much more pigmented but now it's way too ashy for my nc40 skin tone.

gret product. not very pigmented. so u wont screw up if u apply way too much. great