NYX Professional Makeup Powder Blush - Taupe [DISCONTINUED]

NYX Professional Makeup Powder Blush - Taupe [DISCONTINUED]

4.2

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been working with this daily for several weeks for CONTOURING and the more I use it, the more I like it.

About me, I'm light skinned with neutral to slighty yellow undertones. Most bronzers are too dark and unnatural for me - even the cool toned ones often used for contouring.

PROS... (1) it is almost impossible to use too much. I've used TheBalm's Bahama Mama and it is UBER-pigmented which for contouring isn't great. I just about can't overdo NYX Taupe. (2) It is COOL and purpley/gray. Shadows are not warm, they are not brown, and they certainly aren't brown!!! I don't want to contour with a bronzer. (3) CHEAP! Although I could NOT find this in stores. I tried Target, Goody's, and Ulta. I had to order it. No biggie though. I hated to invest a bunch of money in a color that might not work. Contouring is a hard thing to do and the right color is really important. (4) I have dry skin and some powders don't look good on me. I also have a lot of "peach fuzz" on my cheeks right where contouring goes. Sometimes powders sit on top and look horrible. This looked FAB!!! Very fine powder and super blendable.

CONS...(1) Sometimes can look a little red on me. I've heard other yellow-toned people say this. I've found it looks better when I wear it over my mineral sunscreen bc the sunscreen whitens me a tiny bit. I have two colors of foundation that I use and NYX definitely looks better with the one that is less yellow. (2) And this is a BIG one... it just doesn't last. I have to reapply SEVERAL times throughout the day. I have dry skin - usually makeup (especially powders) CLING to my dry skin. Not this blush

Neutral... the top is so cheap. I'm sure it will break. That's what you get for $5 though and I've accepted that tradeoff.

Overall... I'm not ready to call it my HG yet. There are a few more products that I would love to try like Illmasqua's Hollow, NYX Haywire Eyeshadow, and Inglot 363M.

UPDATE: I have since tried NYX Haywire matte eyeshadow. It is MUCH more gray and cooler than Taupe blush. If I mix both colors together, I finally can say this is my HG contour color!!! Adding in a little Haywire cuts the red out of the Taupe for me and looks wonderful. TWICE since coming up with this concoction, I've had people ask me if I had lost weight. It's bc my face looks do much slimmer!!!

This is THE perfect shade for contouring on light skin tones! In love <3 It's impossible to go overboard with, and looks so natural! Honestly - don't know how I lived without this product. The best part? It's only 5 bucks! :)

on 9/17/2013 6:34:00 PM

Love this! Maybe it's my skin tone (fair with pink undertones) but this stuff works great on me. It is fairly sheer and buildable, no glitter or shimmer, and it gives me the most subtle contouring without looking too muddy. By comparison,I have Too Faced Milk Chocolate bronzer, it's much more orange and it makes my face look dirty. I use a Real Techniques contouring brush to apply under my cheekbones and then a fluffy blush brush to apply a pinker toned blush to the apples of my cheeks. My Ulta does not carry this shade, I hope it hasn't been discontinued! I found it on Drugstore.com for $5, a steal for the perfect cool toned blush/contour.

on 9/17/2013 1:03:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

The only product I can successfully contour with. I am around NW20 with a ton of freckles, so most things end up looking orange and muddy and just weird on me. Taupe is the perfect color for me, and the formula of the blush holds up well my dry skin. It doesn't fade during the day and it is super easy to blend out and work with. I like the pigmentation as well, I tend to be a little heavy handed so it is easy for me to build this up and make it look natural.

on 9/2/2013 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

PROS:

beautiful, neutral taupe; not too orange or grey
blends beautifully to create a soft contour
pigmented enough to create a dramatic edgy contour (if desired)
works great for pale skin (im mac NW15)
inexpensive

CONS:
my lid for the powder broke off
it can be hard to find if you dont have an Ulta near you

on 8/31/2013 7:43:00 PM

Perfect contour shade for light because it creates the perfect illusion of a shadow. Im so done contouring with bronzers because those just look too orange and unnatural. This is really perfect and the price is great. Ordered it online and Im so happy that i did.

on 7/22/2013 5:43:00 PM

Finally a contour shade that I can easily fit in my bag. I really like the matte bronzers, but a lot of them have too much red in them. Taupe blush is very neutral & great for contouring. I'm a warm-fair complexion, but I have a tan going on which bumps to the "light" category & I get a lot of color payoff from this shade.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I'd never tried contouring before, but I've always been a fairly natural-look kind of girl, so I thought that contouring might help give my face a little something extra. It does. I had to buy Taupe online because I couldn't find it in stores anywhere (not even Ulta), but it was worth it. It's a pretty ashy-pink color--perfect for very fair skin. When I apply it in the hollows of my cheeks it looks like a natural shadow. It's fairly pigmented, so you don't need to swipe much on your brush. The package is a bit smaller than I was expecting, but I'm sure it'l last a long time since you don't have to use much of it. If you're thinking about trying out contouring, I'd encourage you to give this product a try!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

The one and only contour powder I ever reach for. The fact that it is taupe makes the appearance of an actual shadow under your cheekbones without looking like a line of makeup. I'm quite fair, NW-15 to 20.. 25 to 30 in the summer, and I use this all year round. Nikkietutorials on youtube uses this and as you can see she has some amazing contouring going on, lol
With NYX prices, it's worth a try!

on 6/15/2013 6:11:00 AM

I got nyx taupe as I was looking for a contour powder that doesn't look orange and it is perfect for my skin I am N20 in Mac make up. Before I got this I was using Benefit Hoola bronzer and I found that it was looking very orange on my skin. I have read a review on here and someone was saying that nyx taupe has shimmer in it. It doesn't have shimmer but it is not a matte finish. I would say it is more of a satin finish.