MAC Cosmetics Cremesheen Lipstick - Dare You

MAC Cosmetics Cremesheen Lipstick - Dare You
MAC Dare YouCremesheen Lipstick - Dare YouDare You MAC CreamsheenCremesheen Lipstick - Dare You

4.7

I haven't been this excited about a deep red lipstick since Chanel's limited edition Venice Violin. As a super-pale, yellow-undertoned who turns pink at the drop-of-a-hat brunette, this color is fantastic.It is a deep brick red pigment with what I think is a sheer pearl magenta sheen.

When I spread the color with my thumb on my wrist, instead of a berry pink stain left behind (which most reds seem to leave) it is just a lighter version of the exact same color in the tube, no variation of loss of any one tone. Perfect! Like another poster noted, this is a straight out of the tube lipstick. I feel comfortable applying sans mirror, which is an application style I usually leave for neutral safe mauves or gloss. This is a great day to night color.

I admit that I am not a huge fan of MAC lipstick formulations (I think they are drying), but this creme sheen rocks. Silky without being a sheer (Chanel's Portifino is probably the best example I have of a great red sheer that just doesn't cut the butter because it lasts all of 5 minutes), creamy without being a thick matte, opalescent without being a frost. One application lasted me through two hours of cocktails at the bar, and that's really good for me as I am a lip chewer and typically reapply every half hour or so when I'm out. I am excited to try more shades in this formula.

My only nit-pick is that I personally hate the odor/flavor of MAC lipsticks. To me, it smells like I am eating a candle.

on 1/19/2009 1:35:00 AM

Like many serial shoppers of red lipsticks, I am in love with this.

I wished Lipstick Queen would come up with a colour like this because I'm loving Poppy's formulations right now.

In any case, this colour is what some of us wished #Dubonnet was. In addition to #Dare You, I also have #Queen's Sin and #Russian Red from MAC. Unlike most reds, I find #Dare You something I could walk down the street in easily despite its rich colour. #Russian Red & #Queen's Sin might be a little too theatrical to wear during the day, and I've reserved them for special occasions, but this is where #Dare You triumphs as a day and night kind of red.

It has a good amount of brown and like another reviewer mentioned, yet not looking muddy. The finish makes it easy for me to apply it using the tube. I normally apply all my lipsticks using a brush, especially the reds. But I feel confident enough to just swab this across my lips and go.

I love this so much I feel like going out to buy another one just in case they discontinue it!

on 1/2/2009 10:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I love red lipsticks but most of them turn fuchsia on my already fairly pink pigmented lips. Some of my favourite red lipsticks are Clinique Buttershine #Cranberry Cream and Almost Lipstick #Black Honey but they're sheer reds and I was looking for a more pigmented, darker brick red lippie. Some people mentioned MAC #Dubonnet or #Dare You. After reading the reviews I chose #Dare You. I have to say, it's a gorgeous colour! On my pale, cool- to neutral toned NW10 skin it's quite a dark red lipstick with some brown in it. Not too brown, but just enough to make the red a true red w/o any pink in it. This shade even makes my teeth to look whiter! The formula is creamy, moist, pigmented and fairly long-lasting. Nice vanilla scent. Great lipstick for a sophisticated, glamorous look. A winner! Update: I find the texture too drying so I switched to Clinique l/s #Tabasco instead.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

i always dreamt bout this lipstick n eventually i got one as shopping for the boxing day

'Dare You' is a creamy, moist, long lasting, full n rich pigmented deep red colour, n very easy to apply

in the beginning i was actually not sure either 'Brave Red' or 'Dare You' i would take
to me, the difference between 'Dare You' & 'Brave Red' is based on what kind of characteristic i wanna express
'Brave Red' is more like the characteristics of brave, outgoing, active, sunny, visibly strong, gorgeous, attractive, dramatic, n smart
'Dare You' is more like the characteristics of well-controlled, strong, powerful, formal, dramatic, mysterious, silent, attractive, n mature
after thinking some times i took 'Dare You' n im always satisfied with this decision

Everyone seems to think this lipstick leans more towards red than brown, but for me it seems to lean towards brown. At first, i was very dissapointed with this as i only wear bright reds, but after a while i realised what a nice colour it was and i love the slight red sparkle of it.

On me (yellow toned asian light skin) it is like a reddish brown but not too brown so it looks muddy and not too deep so i look like a halloween fancy dress goer. I think its a great colour for this season's goth trend without being TOO dark, its a very wearable and spicy colour.

I'm not sure if i'll ever run out as i very rarely wear any other colour apart from red, but on the odd special occasion i might pull this out. But if i was to run out i would definitely buy again.

on 11/11/2008 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

Thumbs way up for Dare You!

It is the very sliiiightly brownish deep red for which I was hoping when I bought Dubonnet, sight unseen, from MACís website a couple of years ago.

I own countless wine/berry-red MAC lipsticks: So Scarlet, Rocker, Rapturous, Rougette, Wild ĎBout You, and undoubtedly others whose names slip my mind.

Dare You is special, though. As another reviewer observed, Dare You somehow looks deep without looking dark. Itís a little difficult to accurately describe the color of Dare You; itís a berry red thatís more red than berry, but itís definitely not a bright true stoplight red, either. I like Dare You with Red Enriched or Burgundy liner, depending on whether I want to bring out the red or the burgundy tones of the lipstick. Dare You is very similar to Dubonnet, but has more red in it.

In fact, the two shades are so similar that probably nobody except a true lipstick obsessive such as I would want both.
Ah, yes, the formula: Dare You is the first and only Cremesheen Iíve tried. It feels creamy and moisturizing, and has a very glossy, almost acrylic like finish. Of course, the trade-off is less than superlative lasting power, but itís still respectable. Iím pretty certain that most will want to wear liner with Dare You, especially if feathering/bleeding is a problem.

I think this is a permanent item, and Iíll gladly repurchase when I use this one up.

I would *certainly* buy Dare You again, instead of Dubonnet.

continued >>

on 11/6/2008 4:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

A beautiful wearable red. Not candy-apple, not blue-red, but deep enough without being brick. It's not sheer but it's a tad too shiny IMO. But I can definitely work this.

on 10/31/2008 10:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Absolutely gorgeous red! I'm an NC45 with very golden/yellow undertones and not to sound vain or anything but this looks stunning! I love the moisturizing properties of this and how shiny and glossy it looks without adding more gloss or any other products. I also love how this can look intense yet soft at the same time if you know what I mean...the pigments are amazing, yet the moisture in these sorta hug and wrap around the lips making them look so soft and supple. I found another red I love!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Fantastic red. I thought it would be too cool toned/magenta on me but somehow it works great with my warm asian (MAC NC30-35) skintone! Definitely my go to red these days! It is a perfect grenadine/cherry red on me. Tres chic! I feel so glam wearing this!! The texture of these lippies are to die for..so creamy glossy and moisturizing.

on 10/23/2008 2:28:00 PM

This is one of the Cremesheens recently released by MAC. MAC describes this shade as a "deep brown red". While I agree that it is a deep shade and has a touch of brown in it, it is a warm slightly brick red without overt brown tones. Thank goodness since most l/s that leans towards brown looks muddy and horrid on me and pulls all the yellow out of my skin.

While Hang-Up is my favorite of the Cremesheens, I love Dare You's warmth. Yet this is a completely wearable red for me (Eurasian, NC30).

I have a lot of trouble with reds. Usually the berry reds work the best on me. But I have always wanted to find a red WITHOUT the berry undertones, neutral to warm in its undertones. Every neutral to warm red I had tried up to now was just too bright and made me look like a clown. Case in point is Port Red. I wore that the other night and I looked stupid.

But Dare You is absolute perfection. A deep red but not so deep that it looks goth. It's toned down so it doesn't scream out loud like some warm reds do. No berry in it (I noticed lilhenna mentioned this got pinky on her, but I get none of that. If anything, it turns a golden red on me after a while). Warm yet doesn't get muddy or drab looking on me. I actually had to get a backup of this one, it's that special.

And the best thing is the Cremesheen formula, which I absolutely ADORE...it's creamy, moisturizing, and looks yummy on the lips. You would think this would wear off pronto...not so. I apply this less often than the matte or frost formulas. And the sheen is so awesome that you never need l/g over your l/s. It doesn't cake up at all. As the color fades a bit over the course of the day, it starts to take on more of the look of a stain which is lovely.

With the Cremesheens, it's like l/g and l/s had a baby...this formula is sheer and lush, yet the color is completely buildable. I know they say the Slimshines are supposed to be the closest l/g-l/s hybrid, but the Cremesheens are far more buildable, and they look so luscious on the lips...

Definite repurchase. I absolutely love this shade! This is truly the most perfect deep red I have ever laid eyes on. I "dare you" to try this shade!