GUERLAIN Gourmand Coquin

GUERLAIN Gourmand Coquin

4.3

on 7/18/2017 8:03:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

An interesting exercise by Guerlain in the gourmand trend set by Thierry Mugler's Angel. I had expected this to be a little more in the grand Guerlain manner, but don't detect a great deal of the Guerlinade base in here (the clearest recent iteration of that style by Guerlain is surely the wonderful 180 ans de Creations). Gourmand Coquin opens with a big blast of rum-soaked fruits that nobody would describe as tasteful. That phase lasts a short few minutes before the chocolate heart surfaces, but there is an interesting - or dismaying, depending on your point of view - olfactory clash at the point where these elements intersect. It's like a strong musical discord for a minute or so; the boozy fruits and the chocolate together smell, to my nose at least, like slightly gone-off drupes. Unexpected, and a jolting reminder that alcohol is the result of natural fermentation. Thankfully this phase doesn't last beyond a few moments or the whole expensive exercise would have been a scrubber. Instead, the chocolate takes the upper hand and before long is joined by a very familiar smoky vanilla note, the base of Shalimar, but much better behaved than her risque great aunt. It's like recognising an old friend. Much as I respect it, Shalimar becomes harshly medicinal and unwearable on my skin; in Gourmand Coquin there is just a hint of this stridency keeping the sweeter elements in check. At this stage I am reminded strongly of Traversee du Bosphore, a perfume I'm very fond of, although the resemblance is, in a manner of speaking, wholly vanillic (there is no detectable loukhoum here). It smells like old books. I find the far drydown very pleasant, a well-balanced chocolate, vanilla, smoke combo that is slightly addicting and unexpectedly contemplative. A lovely thing, but whether it is deserving of the hype or the price tag is debatable.

on 11/11/2010 8:27:00 PM

I am in love with this fragrance. Generally not a fan of Guerlain fragrances, but i have sample sprays of this and the Oriental Brulant, and just can't stop smelling my wrists when i have either on nor keep the bf at a distance. I am more partial to this one and while it doesn't have the lasting power of some of my other perfumes, its intoxicating scent is persuading me to acquire a bottle despite the outrageous pricetag, but hopefully santa will deliver.

on 9/11/2008 8:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

My first thought was, "Pink Sugar." I am still in a state of disbelief. Notes (per the Scented Salamander): black pepper, chocolate, rum, cacao, spice, rose, vanilla...Surely it doesn't smell like that. I would have to compare them closer together in time.