Anessa Perfect UV Sunscreen EX SPF50+ PA+++

Anessa Perfect UV Sunscreen EX SPF50+ PA+++
Perfect UV Sunscreen EX SPF50+ PA+++Perfect UV Sunscreen EX SPF50+ PA+++

4.3

Original (gold bottle): Dimethicone, Water, Alcohol, Zinc Oxide, Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Isopropyl Myristat, Talc, Isododecane, Octocrylene, POLYBUTYLENE GLYCOL/PPG-9 Trimethylsiloxysilicate, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, Titanium Dioxide, Glycerin, Diisopropyl sebacate, VINYL DIMETHICONE/ METHICONE SILSESQUIOXANE CROSSPOLYMER, Dextrin palmitate, Xylitol, Bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, PEG/PPG-14/7 dimethyl ether, Sodium chloride, Ethyl Ascorbic Acid, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Angelica Acutiloba Root Extract, Thymus Serpillum Extract, Rosa Canina Fruit Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Curcuma Longa Root Extract, Isostearic Acid, Aluminum hydroxide, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Stearic Acid, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Distearyldimonium chloride, Trisodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, BHT, Sodium Metabisulfite, FragranceMild, for sensitive skin (light gold bottle): Cyclopentasiloxane, Zinc Oxide, Diisopropyl sebacate, Methyl methacrylate crosspolymer, Water, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Pentaerythrityl tetraethylhexanoate, Triethylhexanoin, Diethylhexyl succinate, Titanium Dioxide, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dextrin palmitate, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Triazone, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, PEG/PPG-14/7 dimethyl ether, Sodium chloride, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Angelica Acutiloba Root Extract, Rosa roxburghii extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Aluminum hydroxide, Stearyl Phosphate, Silica, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Pyrosulfite, Tocopherol

on 8/30/2012 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I live in the US but got this from SASA.com (it's an Asian beauty store, much like how Sephora is in the US). It was about $30, so not TOO expensive but still a bit pricey compared to drugstore sunscreens. The bottle is made of durable plastic and is metallic gold; I believe this replaced the Perfect Smooth version, which is in a silver bottle. I'm not a huge fan of the tilted cap, but the tiny little nozzle is very helpful for dispensing only a little product at a time. Since the formula of this SS is so runny, it helps prevent spillage if you accidently tip the bottle over.

Applying this SS was strange and took a bit of a learning curve. After shaking the bottle, I pour out a big droplet and quickly rub it over one side of my face. It absorbs rapidly so you'll have to repeat this process a few times to cover your whole face. It dries into this smooth, matte finish, which is LOVELY and really helpful as a primer underneath your makeup. I don't think this product is drying but then again, I have oily skin - I'd recommend wearing a moisturizer underneath anyways, especially if you're combo, normal or dry-skinned.

The most amazing thing about this SS is just how MATTE it keeps me. I don't have to blot at all (I usually have to blot 2x over the course of a work day in the summer) until about 12 hrs later. 14 hrs after I apply it, my skin is noticeably oily, but being oil-free for 12 hrs is still incredible! This is definitely a keeper.

NOTE: Even though the new Perfect UV version of this SS is supposed to be "easier to remove" than older versions, I still have to use an oil cleanser to remove it. Be sure to be VERY THOROUGH about removing this product from your face.

Also, after a while, I noticed that I started to break out from this product, so I've taken off a lippie. This product is definitely not for sensitive or clog-prone skin. I wouldn't wear it past 12 hrs because every time I do, my skin starts breaking out and getting irritated.

on 8/8/2012 12:04:00 AM

shiseido has long been a favorite brand of sunscreen for me and i've tried multiple different lines of its sunscreens over the years and i've loved them all. this particular one offers great sun protection, is lightweight, and dries down to a nice matte but velvety finish. makeup goes on beautifully with no piling... it almost feels like it acts as a primer of sorts. there is no burning sensation even when i get it closer to my eyes. my only slight gripe with this is that it can feel a little drying and can accentuate dry patches on the skin if my skin is already a little dehydrated. however, with proper skincare, it's not a big issue. i've already used up 3 bottles of this and am on my 4th!

on 1/7/2012 4:49:00 AM

This feels like velvet on my skin. Just beautiful. It dries completely matte and clear on my dark skin tone. I haven't experienced any breakout yets. My makeup glides on over the top.

So it fulfils every single criteria of sunscreen that I wanted... except one....
It still made my face hyperpigmented in my problem areas.

I bought this 2 months ago in Korea (Whilst on my way to Europe) after having a massive fail with other sunscreens I thought I'd try this given the good reviews. Well one day I went out in the sun with this on (just my face as I was fully covered because it was WINTER) after 15 mins I noticed that my face had hyperpigmented. I ran and put my hat back on.

When trying to put makeup on the next morning my foundation did not match around my mouth, on my cheeks and forehead (this are the spots that hyperpigment for me). The foundation looked particularly grey around my mouth.

I was so sad that after 15 mins this had made me hyperpigment faster than when I don't wear sunscreen at all.
In everyother way it is perfect.

I will stick to wearing my hat until I find a sunscreen that works.
Maybe I'll try one of the European ones that are meant to have high PPD/UVA coverage.

on 8/13/2011 10:15:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

*dances around and rings bells* LOVE THIS STUFF! I got a sample of this included in the packaging of the Anessa Perfect Essence SS I got from ichibankao and I found that I liked this way more. It's very light but not too light (on my oily skin it's even somewhat moisturizing, which means I don't need to use anything underneath it). Less product on my face means I have less stuff sitting on my skin during the course of the day, which means less breakouts.. Yay! For me, the number one criteria of any SS is whether or not it breaks me out. Most DO. This one hasn't at all and I've used it essentially ever day for 2 months. It's like the Japanese have found the magical formula of sunscreen that feels like nothing on your skin. I did notice I was breaking out when it was 100 degrees (read: 35-ish) every day a few weeks ago, but I think just existing in that sort of hot, sweaty weather makes me break out, no matter what I have on my face. Now it has cooled down a lot and I'm back to using this every day with great results. I would recommend this to anyone who wants good protection with a light, but not over-drying feel. It works great under makeup as well. It's a little pricy, but not nearly as expensive as the heavier, white-cast-ier Shiseido SSs they are selling at Sephora right now.

Note that I got a sample bottle of a new pink bottle Anessa SS and I LOVES IT. It's more of a whipped moisturizer feel and it's wonderful.. Would definitely recommend if you need a little more moisture. Hasn't broken me out at all, will purchase the gold and pink together next time.

on 5/3/2011 9:03:00 PM

This is a fantastic light, liquid sunscreen. It does dry my skin, so I need to apply moisturizer prior. Good waterproof protection. So far has not broken out my skin. I use DHC oil or Dermalogica Precleanse to remove it. I was lucky to find it in an Asian cosmetics shop in Texas.

Update: After trying other Japanese sunscreens, I have to say this one feels heavy and rubbery. Like a layer of latex on the skin, but not greasy. The Sofina and Biore sunscreens are lighter on the skin.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I tried this after I finished the Perfect Smooth Sunscreen (which lasted over a year with daily use) and when I began using an acne treatment that caused the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer SPF 70 sunscreen to pill up. Overall, this sunscreen is very close to the Perfect Smooth version, but this version does not create as matte of a finish, meaning the need for a primer is greater with this formula. Since it isn't as matte, it also isn't as drying which makes it better for colder months. For oily skin, the Perfect Smooth version is better but this is an acceptable alternative that never fails to give flawless protection. Also, although Shiseido recommends you buy the removing gel for its Anessa line, I use the Clarisonic to remove my makeup and there's no trace of this sunscreen afterwards.

on 1/4/2011 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this sunscreen. It's very light for SPF50, doesn't feel greasy at all. After I apply it, my skin feels smooth and soft. It does feel like a barrier from all the sun damage, for some reason I think you should use a moisturizer with this.
It says it is water resistant, so I use baby oil to remove it.
So far it didn't break me out.

on 11/17/2010 12:28:00 AM

Someone recommended this to me and I was very hesitant given the high price. When I tried it at the counter, it was surprisingly light for the SPF factor of 50! Best it was non greasy. So I went ahead and made the purchase. I use it everyday and I think it will last a long time!

on 9/13/2010 1:38:00 PM

This sunscreen, for me, is a flat out miracle. I was visiting Korea and tried my aunt's and was amazed. It was the least greasy yet high-SPF sunscreen I have ever found. I've tried everything and had basically given up, only using SPF 15 ones because everything higher was too shiny, heavy, oily you name it. (I could only really tolerate Olay Complete SPF15, and then they went and changed the formula on me.)

This one dries totally matte, goes on smoothly and easily (it's a fluid, not a lotion or cream really), and doesn't break me out in the least. The only minus I can imagine is that it does leave a bit of a whitish cast (which for me is ok since my skin is pretty light, but probably wouldn't be great for darker skintones.) I guess my version is the gold one, which is supposedly more sweatproof than the other ones, but again, this did not feel greasy to me at all. (I can't imagine how light the other ones must be then!) It's pricey but totally worth it. I am stunned they don't sell this or even anything like this in the US; it blows every other sunscreen I've used out of the water.

on 5/25/2010 1:10:00 AM

I really wanted to like this product - it's smooth, doesn't leave a direful white cast that most sunscreens do, doubles as a primer and keeps my face matte all day... unfortunately, it causes congestion on my face. I have used it on and off for several months now and have noticed clogged pores whenever I use this product for 2 or more days consecutively. It is waterproof and thus I used my Dermalogica oil cleanser to remove it - but to no avail, breakouts continued to occur.