Vichy Dermablend Setting Powder

Vichy Dermablend Setting Powder

3.9

Talc, methylparaben( /- May contain, Cl 77891/ Titanium Dioxide, Cl 77491, Cl 77492, Cl 77499/ Iron )

This is one of the best finishing powders I have used! The thing I hate most about other powders, is that one you brush it on or press it on with a sponge it looks like it just moves your foundation underneath when it should be setting it in place. This powder does exactly what I want it to do, once you have applied your foundation and concealer this goes over the top so incredibly well, its so fine that its completely translucent and does not move or mess up all of your hard work, it keeps it in place and gives a fab flawless finish I definitely recommend this product! I also only just found out about the vichy dermablend range and wish I had known about it sooner! It really is a great line for anyone with problem skin.

on 3/29/2011 8:37:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I Love this. I can't say anything more than what's already been, other than its my favourite loose powder. I'm on my second tub (approx $28 CAD) and It lasts me about two years with everyday usage -- a definite plus. I use a large face powder for application and it disappears into my skin within 30 seconds. I use it with my vichy foundation, however its useful with any other foundation as it is translucent. I don't see why you'd want to use any other brand! Vichy is simply the best for this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

WOW, people. By far my favorite powder. I can't understand why anyone would have a complaint about this. It truly IS translucent, and it's so finely-milled that you can put it over any foundation without it being noticeable. It's an amazing setting powder.

Waterproof? I have no idea....I don't see how a powder could ever be waterproof. Seems scientifically impossible. I can't attest to that, but I've noticed some people here seem to be expecting this to hold their makeup through hellfire, and I feel that's expecting too much.

Definitely should not be used with the included powder puff if you want it to act its best. I use a large powder brush, get just a bit on, shake off the excess, and then do a light dusting all over my face. It works SO well to solidify one's under eye concealer. This, used in conjunction with my Chanel Pro Lumiere, makes me look like a movie star. I never thought I'd achieve that, but truly, you do get what you pay for with a powder and a foundation. Other products, such as lipsticks and mascaras, can be bought on the cheap with great results. But don't skimp on your foundation or powder...there's too much science behind it, and advanced ingredients and the manufacturing process really do make a difference.

I bought this with my Vichy Dermablend foundation (will do a separate review on that), because I needed a great setting powder that acted more as a sealant and did nothing else.....sort of like with Make Up For Ever's HD powder (which I think is a JOKE and a gimmick, waste of money). This is so much cheaper and a MUCH better product. I can't believe more people haven't caught onto the Vichy Dermablend line, because it's truly amazing. I didn't hear about it until I moved to Canada with my boyfriend a few months ago and saw it in Shoppers. I needed something to replace my MAC Mineralize Skinfinish, because I was growing increasingly disappointed with it (too thick and cakey).

Anyway, this stuff is amazing. Try it. If you don't like it, simply return it. But make sure you apply it correctly. A little goes a loooooong way - this one container, when used correctly, will last someone 6 months - a full year probably. It's quite a lot of product and only about $20 (a steal!!). The only reason I didn't give it a 5 is because I'm just very discerning that way. But I do love this stuff and it's my favorite right now. It's the only thing I've been using. It gives an amazing light and flawless finish, just make sure you don't apply it thickly.

on 3/22/2011 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

When I was a kid, I was in a neighborhood production of The Mikado. The kid in charge of makeup was creative, resourceful, and had no budget. I distinctly recall her smearing Vaseline all over my face, then generously puffing pure Johnson's Baby Powder atop the Vaseline, giving me the literal white-powdered look she was going for. 30-some years later, I think I'm still coughing up rose-lavender talc dust, and to this day, I can't stand the smell of baby powder. I've had three babies - and not one of them was ever subjected to baby talc, (Burt's Bees cornstarch instead). In light of that memory, I am absolutely certain that, as far as I'm concerned, Vichy Dermablend Setting Powder does not feel the same as baby (talcum) powder (probably the complete lack of Vaseline helps greatly). This powder is the mineral Magnesium Silicate (talc), hydrated and very finely milled, and it is indeed, the exact same stuff as baby powder. It has a little bit of Titanium Dioxide as well, and baby powder does not. The biggest difference is Vichy's powder doesn't have any perfumes, and baby powder is loaded with them. If you can stand the smell of it, baby powder may give the same effect as Vichy, but the nice container, great puff, measured dispenser, and lack of scent make this waay better for me. When dusted on top of Vichy's foundation, the combo is budge-proof for 6-8 hours. Too much of this powder leaves a white cast, of course, but a light dusting of it over foundation is transparent. There's not a bit of ashiness, cakiness, globs, or color change.I use the puff on my nose only, and apply with a Kabuki for the rest of my face.

on 3/6/2011 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

I don't use this product with the Vichy Dermablend Foundation, but have with other liquid foundations and mineral powders on top. I really like this product, and makes your makeup look so natural, makes it water-resistant and long wearing. You can't wear it though if you have any flakiness on your skin or else it enhanses it. It makes an incredible difference in the shineyness my skin experiences during the day. It's a great setting powder that I don't think many other girls know about. The whiteness of it may scare you off but it just softens your look and doesn't deposit much colour. There's a lot in there too, so you don't have to go out buying it all the time. There is an issue with any loose powder though, it does get messy and leaves powder around, haha!

on 11/7/2010 2:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love the Mac prep + prime transparent powder, it is a HG finishing powder that looks beatifully on the skin. The only problem that I had with that was that it didn't have enought oilcontrol for me.
This has some of the same benefits as mac one. This is transparent if you don't apply to much (that can make you white-ish).
I use a MAC 187 and put it lightly on my bare face. It gives a natural matte finish and it has good oilcontrol. Using this with my Murad oilcontrol mattifier spf 15 and cliniques pore minmizer instant perfector I'm matte for hours.
I'm also acneprone and Vichy says that this is noncomedogenic + nonacnegenic and hypoallergenic. That is always a personal thing, everyone is different. I haven't broken out form this and it hasn't irritated my face.
I like the formula of this powder, it only contais Talc and a preservative, so I feel that it doesn't contain anything "unnecessary" like oils, binders, emollients, glitters....
The last claim is that it makes foundation waterresistant, that I don't know but my concealer stay on okey true the rain...

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have used this for over 20 years and there is nothing better for setting your skin. They now have a beige color as well, that acts more like the mineral powders and gives more coverage just as a powder. I like it when I am tan, otherwise I prefer the white setting powder, to look the most natural on the skin all day.

It does do the best with the dermablend for setting the product for all day if you put lot on the area and then let it sit there for at least 10 minutes and then brush it away any that is in absorbed.

I only spot conceal, so this is the best way I have found to look totally natural, like you aren;'t wearing makeup!!!!

I will be pleased, just follow the directions!!!!

I bought this along with the DermaBlend foundation and concealer. I was told that this makes it waterproof so it doesn't come off when you go swimming.

What a LIE. I used it on some stretch marks when I went to the beach. I got into the water and came back out and all of this stuff, the foundation and everything was gone. This also doesn't blend that well. I'm Asian and it does leave my face quite pale.

I still have this and there's still quite a lot, so I use it to set my foundation, I'm using a different brand now.

on 11/14/2009 4:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is my firsttime using a setting powder. After hearing from makeup experts how important it is, I decided I should have one in my own MU collection.

After inquiring abotu a few different brands, the girl at the drug store recommended this as an under eye and face powder.

It is very translucent, light. I don't know how well it actually works and I dont' use it everyday, but when I have used it it's felt very nice on my skin.

If you use too much it *will* give off a whitish cast to the face, so just use sparingly.

It has little holes so you don't get much spillage, but still be careful and maybe put a plastic wrap over it or something when traveling. Would be better perhaps if they made it in a bottle with a twist top and holes underneath it ... so 3 on packaging quality.

It also seems like I should be able to find a nice powder for cheaper ... this was $30 CAN.

Overall, nice product. I'm happy to have it.

**EDIT** I was way harsh on this product but since I've found a use for it I thought I'd better edit and up the rating so as to not be a complete hypocrite. Since my Marcelle translucent loose powder is too dark for my skin (what is it with TRANSLUCENT that cosmetics companies don't understand??), I've taken to blending it with the dermablend to get a lighter shade. This has been working pretty well, so I'll keep using them till I finish them (I hate wasting makeup!!)

I bought this to set my Cover F/X concealer (which can be quite thick and tacky), and it does mattify and set it well. But "translucent"? Completely untrue. I am unbelievably pale skinned but even on me this white powder stays white; forget that blending in crap. I can't imagine anyone with remotely darker skin being able to use this. I'd recommend this product for goths, albinos, for stage use, etc, as a great setting powder. But until they figure out how to make it truly translucent, it's useless to the majority of people. Also, the lid cracked and broke very early on, so it's messy to have around.