shu uemura H9 Hard Brow Pencil - Seal Brown

4.7

Hydrogenated castor oil, stearic acid, cera microcristallina / microcrystalline wax, candelilla cera / euphorbia cerifera (candelilla wax), carnauba / copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, rhus succedanea / rhus succendanea fruit wax, hydrogenated coconut oil, hydrogenated palm kernel oil, hydrogenated palm oil [+/- May contain: mica, CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499 / iron oxides, CI 77891 / titanium dioxide]

I wish I could remember when I bought this, but it was so long ago - maybe 2 years? Point being, I'm still on my original pencil. That's how long this lasts. As the other reviewers have noted, it's best applied in short, soft strokes to look natural. This pencil is a bit magical in that it blends in with a variety of brow colors; I've used it when my brows were bleached and when they were dark. Looked good with both. Ditto my friend who has naturally brown brows. It's quicker than powder or wax and while it does tend to vanish within 6 or so hours on me, I find that only really obvious and stiff products last long on my brows. So I can't complain. I've stopped trying other brow products entirely. This is just too perfect, fast, cheap and gives really natural, well-groomed brows.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have been a brow fanatic for nearly twenty years. I used to live and work in Japan, where the ladies would pluck, trim and shave each others brows in the office bathroom every afternoon!

Ironically, I only fell in love with this brow pencil after moving back to the US, and it's the best I've ever used. There is absolutely no red tone, just a true neutral brown. Very versatile. The formula is very hard, so I'm able to make feathery, believable strokes. I find the trick to getting the best results is to keep the pencil very sharp (I use a NARS sharpener.) One pencil lasts me at least two years, and I use it every day.

I also occasionally use Anastasia's brow powder in Brunette if I want a more dramatic evening look. But that takes more time and requires wax, so I use my beloved Shu pencil 95% of the time. For reference, I'm a warm-toned NC20 brunette with hazel eyes.

I just purchased this the other day and used it yesterday. It's great! Easy to use and not too dark. I am asian with very sparse brows, and unlike other pencils, this doesn't go on immediately dark. You can build it up to the shade you want though I don't think it gets very dark. I heard about this pencil just when I was getting tired of Anastasia's brow powder. Perfect!

i am blessed/cursed (depending on your preference and the trend at the moment) with rather full set of eye brows. now that i had less and less time in the morning to apply make up these days due to busy schedule, i've learned to appreciate the fullness. I usually don't really have to do anything except occasional trimming and if i have time, i'll brush it with clear mascara to set it. however, right after getting it trimmed, i have to shape it with a pencil to maintain it (to get my money's worth as much as possible) and this pencil is the best. you have to be careful with the application though. light touch will allow you to make less serious mistakes. the formula is hard which i think helps with the lasting power of this. the color is quite natural looking on me. you can't really tell if i'm wearing it at all actually. it just looks like my natural brows but just better. and it lasts a looooong time. also when it gets dull, take it to the shu uemura store and they'll sharpen it for you.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I'm a brow product junkie. Powders, pencils, markers, you name it. I even once tried putting Benefit's Glamazon bronzing liquid on my brows - yeah, that didn't work.

But, I've found my HG in this pencil. It's the perfect shade of ashy brown. Why do so many brow products have so much orange??

Anyway, the extra special trick to this pencil is to get it shaved, not sharpened. One of the other reviews mentions the blade tip. Yup, that's the way to go. If you have a chance to buy this in person at a Shu store (or at a counter if the MA's have been trained in it) get them to shave it down for you. That flat, sharp tip is *ideal* for creating perfectly defined brows. Mine's getting a bit dull; I really need to take it in to the store and get it resharpened. I suppose I could try and do it myself, but, nah.

edit on 8/7 - I found out yesterday that the Shu store in Pac Heights in San Francisco is currently the *only* store in the country where you can get the pencils shaved instead of sharpened! I tried going to the Shu counter at a Barney's in Chicago and they had no one trained to do it. So, I guess, either encourage the counter to get their staff trained, or maybe order it directly from the store in SF? It really does make a difference. At least I'll be back in SF in a few weeks and can get it sharpened.

If you struggle with your brows and want natural looking brows, then you need to try this out!

You can build up your brows with this pencil and it never goes too dark! You can fill out your brows as well as change the shape of them, without looking fake. If you make a mistake, you can wipe out with a qtip and it cleans off without smuge.

As other reviewers suggested, draw your brows in short strokes. Keep building up until you are happy with the color. You can always put primer or powder beforehand, if you struggle with the color payoff. I like putting a bit of brow powder or brown shadow, for added definition.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This pencil was difficult for me to maneuver at first, because of its length which is quite long. I was holding it too far back and therefore not getting a decent grip to precisely shade my brows. Now that I hold it closer to the pencil point itself it gives me the perfect arches. This colour is outstanding...a warm, taupe/brown that goes well with my burgundy coloured hair. Will repurchase but it will be a long time before i need to.

Great brow pencil, I only bought this today and already I love it! I have been using Benefit Browzings in light for the last four years and have been terrified to try out pencils for fear of unnatural looking brows.

This pencil creates natural and sleek looking brows - perfect colour and perfect texture!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm asian and have black hair so I've been looking for a good brow powder or pencil. I've tried several brow powders (ie. Anastasia's powder duo in brunette) but they aren't the right color for me... too warm or reddish.

After reading reviews, I decided to buy the seal brown brow pencil. At first, it was really difficult to put on since I was so used to powders. But I gave myself a week to try it. I LOVE IT! At first I tried pushing hard, but that didn't work so I've been using the short stroke technique and it works. It looks so natural because it doesn't go on too dark like with powders I've tried.

I gave it 4 stars because it's a little tricky to put on and takes a little more time. Even with the short strokes, I don't see where I've filled in right away. I'll do one brow and then switch to the other... it seems like it takes a few seconds to show up for me. And then I'll have to continue going back and forth until I'm done. But I absolutely love it and my brows look great!

Someone mentioned this doesn't work if your brows are sparse. I have one little patch missing from my brow... which is taking forever to grow back. And with the brow powder I could never fill it in very well because the powder wouldn't stay. Like I said before, it takes a few strokes to fill in the empty patch... but once I'm done, it stays all day!

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

AWESOME brow product....superior to anastasias....i actually gave up on brow pencils n have been using powder form since it gives me a more natural look...i gave this a try due to the raves....this is definitely not harsh/garish....my hair is currently dark brown with blonde highlights n this works as well as my Mac wedge....