Shu Uemura H9 Hard Brow Pencil - Seal Brown

4.7

Hydrogenated castor oil, stearic acid, cera microcristallina / microcrystalline wax, candelilla cera / euphorbia cerifera (candelilla wax), carnauba / copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax, rhus succedanea / rhus succendanea fruit wax, hydrogenated coconut oil, hydrogenated palm kernel oil, hydrogenated palm oil [+/- May contain: mica, CI 77492, CI 77491, CI 77499 / iron oxides, CI 77891 / titanium dioxide]

This is the only product I will use on my eyebrows if I am doing my own makeup. It is the perfect brown - not too reddish, no gray cast, and it's not harsh in person nor in pictures. I am not a fan of using eyeshadow on my eyebrows due to fallout and such, so this formula is perfect - it doesn't migrate from the brows.

I am stocking up while Shu Uemura can still be found in the US!

UPDATE/EDIT 7 Jan 2011: Maybe this goes without saying but I'll tell you anyway that this works best BEFORE you powder your face because the natural oils on your brows are still there for the pencil to work.

I have sparse browse. So sparse and the hairs are fine that without MU I look like I have none. the tail ends of my brows are also almost nonexistent. I have been trying to grow them but obviously in the mean time I have to fill them in.

Seal Brown is so popular (just look at the ratings, too!) but it doesn't work on *very* sparse brows like mine! It needs oils from the brow hairs to activate the pigments, so how can I get any colour out when I have no hairs to begin with?

Where there is hair, this pencil will give it some illusion of thickness, and a nice colour (I must say the colour is very natural. I have black hair but Seal Brown is dark enough for me without being harsh). But at the ends, my brows look obviously drawn on. In the, umm, bald areas between the hairs the colour is very flat. Me no likey.

It also takes very long to do my brows with this pencil because you need light short strokes which I can't do in a hurry. It also takes many strokes for the intensity or depth of colour that I want.

I am going back to powders and mascara to fill in my brows. I hate returning stuff so this will go into my swap basket.

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Love this hard long wearing pencil. Just had mine resharpened at the Shu counter. Very long hard pencil will last forever worth the cost for perfect, easy (no brush) brows.

Despite it being a pencil, it still gives a really natural look. I have super sparse eyebrows but whenever I put it on, my eyebrows doesn't look drawn on at all! Really great effect. Great color as well!

But it comes off REALLY EASILY. It's not smudge-proof or water-proof at all. If you accidentally rub your face with whatever or if you get a bit sweaty, it will surely come off! I have to use another eyebrow pencil that's more waterproof (Max Factor) because I don't want to look silly by the end of the day, having uneven/no brows, if I only use this product. Might buy it again but I definitely have to use other eyebrow pencils to go along with it.

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I've been using the same pencil for over three years now, its down to 1/3 now. I don't need sharpening much either. This is such a quality product. Seal Brown is the perfect color for dark brown/black haired gals. Its very pigmented and just enough wax to fill in and groom brows.
Great find!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I'm a convert! This is a true neutral taupe with no reddish or yellow tones. The hard formula makes it go on lightly.

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

Shu Uemura makes the best products. This product is no exception. I have ok eyebrows, just a little sparse. In the past I've used brow products by stila, smashbox, benefit, and anastasia which all fell short of something. I liked powders because they provided a more natural result, but the results would just rub off after a short amount of time. I like this pencil because it looks very natural and lasts long. I dont' know if this would work for someone who needs to draw on their eyebrows, because it goes on very faint and will not "activate" if there are no oils from eyebrow hair present. While a little on the pricy side it is well worth the cost because it lasts so long.

Ok so i saw this being used by pixiwoo on youtube so i decided to make my way over to my local shu counter where i tried it. I fell in love immediately and purchased it right away. This is the BOMB! Seriously...i have tried everything from drugstore pencils, to loose powders, to waxes and other types of gel but nothing comes close to this pencil! I rarely write reviews for many products but I JUST HAD TO for this as I now officially deem it HG status! This brown pencil is formulated so that only when it comes in contact with the oils on your brow hairs it releases colour pigments upon contact. If you have ever tried to swatch it on your hand...u will probablly end up scratching some skin off but when you put it on your brows...it gives the most flawless brow colour/shape. A bit on the pricy side $35 AUD for 1 but well worth it! PICS:

[IMG]
[/IMG]

Problem: You have soft, dark neutral brown brows that can be a bit unruly. Most brow pencils are either too black or too reddish brown and make you look like Frida Kahlo on a bad day. You have near given up on brow care (which is the second most important thing in beauty next to a faking a flawless complexion). You believe your last resort is sticky clear, brow gel (which you hate dealing with).

Solution: Shu Uemura's Hard Formula H9 in the color Seal Brown 02. After owning for no more than 15 minutes I am ready to build a shrine for it and bow down in awe. This is what I have been looking for the last 8 years of my life. While not transferring any color used on bare skin, it still reacts with the oils in your brow to make perfectly filled in brows that look defined, yet natural. I can't even tell I am using anything. It instantly pulls your face together! Also, if you prefer a bit more drama it can be layered. However, it still looks like something nature gave you. I couldn't be happier. It's the first time I feel giddy inside because of a product. There's absolutely nothing to criticize about it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm