4.3

on 10/6/2013 8:00:00 PM

I have pitted, boxcar, and hyperpigmantation. I had cleared up my acne and started using this about every five days or so, and after two months my hyperpigmentation was COMPLETELY gone. I still had slightly un even red ish skin, but i didn't have red marks everywhere. It didn't do much for my pitted scars or my boxcar scars but my skin is smoother, i can wear less foundation etc. Recently, i had two cysts around my period and i made the mistake of using the dermaroller, i guess it spread the cyst bacteria because i broke out in about 10 cysts! big mistake is using this if you have acne. you need to be 100000000 percent clear whenever you use this or it will spread your acne. I reccomend this for red marks :)

on 9/21/2013 4:26:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is an amazing product for skin. I have had severe acne issues, which of course left many scars and also depressed scars. For years I have been trying to find something that can fix my depressed scars. Ever since I started using this, the dents in my skin have gotten so much softer and fuller!! My skin has been getting more even and fuller. The dents in my skin are starting to disappear. But note that significant results take time....about 2-3 months. Packaging is good, the quality is good as well. I bought 3 dermarollers on amazon for about 19 dollars.

on 9/7/2013 5:19:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I had pretty bad acne scarring, especially on my cheeks. When I heard about the Derma roller the first time, I worried about was the pain because I am not very tolerant of pain. I bought a 0.5mm and 1.0mm. I tried the 0.5 mm first twice a week at nighttime. I sterilized it by swirling it around in water and dish washing solution, rinsing and then spraying it with isopropyl alcohol. It hurt at first but it's not intolerable. And I got used to the feeling after the second time so I changed to a 1.0mm. The trick for me is to roll slowly and deliberately and press the roller into my skin. It hurts less and reaches depth i need for my scars. After rolling, I cover my face with coconut oil because it has antibacterial properties, is natural, is moisturizing and helps with scars. Then I cover in face in laneige's water mask before bed. The dermaroller really helped fade my pits scars. My face overall is smoother and I have a natural flush. I exfoliate everyday by using baking soda with my face wash because the dermaroller causes my skin to slough off at a faster pace. Try it. You won't regret it. If you're scared of the pain, just think of the times you've picked your pimples. The pain is localized to one place but that pain is more than the pain of the dermaroller.

~update2015~
THIS REALLY WORKS.
Background: the majority of my scars are deep boxcar and ice pick scars. I have them scattered all over my cheeks and forehead (around 10-15 on each cheek and 4 on my forehead). i have now been doing it for a year now and have tried a few methods.
Methods:
What derma roller: As first mentioned, I used to roll twice a week with shorter length needles. I found that this helped fill in some of my scars and not others. It was obvious after half a year. I then started using the 1.5 mm and a 1.5 mm dermastamp for left over scars. The dermstamp goes in much deeper than the roller in my opinion and should be used for deeper scars. I also tried the 540 needle derma roller and have noticed that the needles do not go as deep as the one with less needles (like how those artists that lie on a bed of pins don't experiencing the pins stabbing them, but if they laid on less pins... it would go through) So the derma rollers with more needles are not a good value and actually make your progress slower. I would recommend starting shorter and then increasing the length. I feel that 1.0 and 1.5 mm are needed to get rid of scars, but if you use these needles, your skin will be slightly red the next day and you should use it at most once a week. I actually rolled with the 1.5 mm once a week for three weeks and then waited a 3-4 months. I found that my scars continued to fill in even through the months I was not rolling.
Sanitizing: I make a spray solution of 1:1 rubbing alcohol and water, and squirt dish detergent into the solution. I spray it all over the derma roller, wait awhile, rinse it off, and let it air dry. I do it before and after rolling.
Skincare: before rolling, I massage some emu oil into my face. I found that coconut oil sometimes broke me out. Emu oil reduces the healing time by a LOT and it doesn't clog my pores. I roll up and down, right and left, and diagonally over each area. Do not roll when you have existing acne. It will cause you to break out more. If you do need to roll, then do it in a way that avoids existing pimples. It is also possible to experience a few pimples popping up after you roll. Do not be alarmed. The results are worth it and for me it will be 2-3 pimples and simple whiteheads. I have never gotten cystic acne from derma rolling and I have never gotten more scarring because of derma rolling. Also, there may be some bleeding with needles 1.0mm and higher. It's best to do it at night so you can sleep and allow your skin to heal. Try to do it on a day where you don't need to wear makeup or see people the next day. Your skin will be a little red and irritated if you used 1.0 mm+. After rolling I spritz my face with Le Mieux iso-cell recovery solution and slather a bit more emu oil on my face. The next morning, do not use any acidic washes, serums or lotions. The next day is a great day to use skin soothing masks and serums because I think they absorb better. In my experience, it is ok to use Differin concurrently, but not on the the day of derma rolling or the day after. Exfoliation before derma rolling is beneficial because it helps the needles penetrate. But after derma rolling it's best to wait a few days to do mechanical exfoliation. I use The Cure, which is much gentler. This can be used the day after derma rolling if needed.
Results: For the boxcar scars that were affected by the 1.0 mm, they completely filled up to be even with the rest of my skin. The only thing that's left is a shallow ridge around the perimeter of each scar. This is easily covered by makeup, but right now I'm also experimenting with using a lactic acid peel to get rid of this completely. For the deep ice pick and smaller but deeper boxcar scars that have only been treated for 6 months, they are coming to the surface. I would say 6 months allowed for 50% reduction of these deep scars. It took about half a year to completely fill in those shallower scars. But improvement of scars will be apparent to you in as little as 2 weeks. One interesting thing I noticed is that as the ice pick scar heals, it takes on the appearance of a boxcar scar. The scar gets a tad bigger when it starts to fill in. For ice pick scars, I was using a dermstamp. For boxcar scars, what generally happened to me is that different areas of the scar will start to fill up. Skin filled up somewhere in the middle and the large scar became two small scars and then those small scars filled up too. I'm hoping that will continued use and using acid peels, I can experience a 100% recovery. I will update. All I can say is the pain and the effort is worth it

on 8/30/2013 11:46:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I'm not sure if it works but I feel like it does, at first I used it 4-5 times a week but that may have been too much. I purchased 2 and I use one for face and one wherever else I feel like that day. It does make your face really really bright red after so only at night and definitely have a good non irritating lotion on hand.

on 8/29/2013 10:19:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I didn't know what to expect when I got my derma roller a few months back (like 3-4 months). I knew what I wanted to happen - I wanted to minimize old and discolored acne scars, and I wanted to improve my over all skin texture, and if possible, also help some deep acne scars get "filled" up. But I also knew it'd take several uses before I'd be able to see much of any change. If any change at all.

Since I got the derma roller I've been using it about once a week. I've been trying to do it more often but I also want my skin to have a chance to heal in between uses and if I use it more than twice a week my skin gets angry. It hurts a little but never a lot, and I've never started bleeding during use. I use a 0.75 mm derma roller with 540 needles. I figured it was a good size to start off with.

It's not until about the last couple of weeks that I've really been seeing noticeable results. Slowly a lot of scars are fading, the discoloration is lessening with every use. While the scars aren't gone yet, I'm impressed so far, because my skin tone is more even and looking more glowy than ever. My deepest scars haven't filled out at all, so far, but then again it's not even been six months and I expect I'll need to use it for at least a year. I also think I need to get a derma roller with 1,0 mm needles for the deepest scars.

I've been using a vitamin c serum after use, along with MB's glycolic gel (not always though) and a very moisturizing night cream (as I only ever use the derma roller in the evenings). Using a glycolic product after derma rolling stings a lot, so it's probably not a good idea for sensitive skin to use but my skin can take quite a lot of discomfort and it works well for me. I also use a glycolic toner before I use the derma roller because I want my skin to be as clean as it can be before I start rolling. Otherwise I easily break out afterwards.

on 8/29/2013 2:48:00 AM

I have a serious case of melasma/sun damage over most of my face. Both cheeks, over the lip, between the eyes and forehead. Even on my nose. It was so depressing. I heard that dermarolling increases collagen stimulation and also allows skincare products to penetrate much better into the skin and results will be seen faster. I started with 1.0mm then moved up to 1.5mm. I would apply numbing cream for 30 min, then wipe that off, then dermaroll all over my face. Then gently wash my face and apply all serums and potions. I did this for two years, but sadly it did nothing for my spots or patches. It may have worsened them from all that trauma. I decided to take a few months off, and try the Shiseido White Lucent serum, which seems to be working (6 months now). Did it help my collagen production and fine lines?
Maybe a touch. Would I recommend it? Sure, if you are courageous enough to run needles across your face and disciplined enough to do it regularly and clean the roller...I used it once a week, every sunday and sometimes Wednesdays. I think 2 yrs would show if it was going to work or not and I haven't noticed any improvement. Will I ever go back to it? Maybe, if another gadget or product doesn't get me first!

on 8/24/2013 3:51:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

SO I'm only giving it 2 lippies because I tested a patch of textured, uneven skin from acne where I really want to concentrate on making smooth again but it left me with a cyst and a couple of small break outs :-/. I rarely get cysts on my cheeks so it's disheartening. I'm sure this product is awesome for those without acne but I'm not sure it's good if you still haven't rid of it. Just a warning! But since the reviews are so great I'm gonna try it again over my whole face and see how it goes. Oh also I did sterilize the tool by letting it soak in alcohol for an hour beforehand so it wasn't because it wasn't clean. I really want to love this product, and I'll update when I use it again.

on 8/12/2013 3:30:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

IMPORTANT!!!!!! Hello so i decided to do a review on this because i feel the need to tell people this,DO NOT DERMAROLL MORE THEN 2 TIMES A WEEK,if you do this is what will happend:skin wont improve,wont make it go away faster,will create EVEN MORE ACNE RED DOTS,it will make your skin flaky and dry,it just wont help AT ALL it will worsen everything to the point where you think it dosent work,so please please do not repeat this more then 2 times a week,overall this product is AMAZYING beat thing ever to take away acne scars,and doswnt break me out like any nasty creams :)

on 8/3/2013 3:44:00 AM

The DermaRoller is helpful for those people like me who have acne scarring and have tried everything with limited success. I have good results with the 1.5mm @ home Dermaroller. My skin has small and large acne scarring as well as pit marks & pigmentation/age spots. Like many other reviewers, i have tried everything from serums to the best creams but they only worked on the minor surface level. I also tried the pixel laser last year (never again - very painful), Green peels, Microdermabrasion and MD peels with limited success. I can see my face has improved - fine lines are minimised and the scarring has levelled out, with continued use every 6-8 weeks, im hoping improvement will continue. As per the online forums and tips, its important to use a vit c serum or product post rolling (i user the 100% skinstuit vit c mixed with a mild moisturiser) ps; For those new to using dermarolling, please make sure you clean your beauty tool correctly..I use the isoproply alcohol on the dermaroller before and after usage. I also soak the dermaroller in a bleach/water solution for 5 mins or so and then left it air dry and respray with the isoproply alcohol, and then put it back in its special case for the nxt time.

on 8/2/2013 4:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

PROBLEM & NEEDLE SIZE
I just used derma roller for the first time. I have lots of rolling acne scars and i red that this might help to reduce them. I chose a 1.00 mm and it hurts when rolling. if you have sensitive skin or are intolerant to pain, you need a numbing cream. my face is still red after almost 2 hours, and it feels like burning, but i applied some jojoba oil and tea tree oil and it feels a lot better. I cried a little, to be honest. and i also saw like 4-6 little drops of blood (which is totally normal because some skin areas are thinner or you just put a higher pressure on that area, etc). I plan to roll once a month or every 3 weeks, as I am afraid to use more often. anyway, i apply with hard pressure so i think 4 weeks is just the right time for my skin to heal, i will see.
BRAND
I chose the M.T brand from ebay because it was cheaper. the seller was from UK but it did not matter anyway because the roller is still made in China (inferior quality and lots of spelling errors in English). if this works for me, i am going to buy a superior roller from a trusted brand (which costs between 40 and 70 dollars; mine was around 12 dollars). this one is also made in china but it is high quality, the needles are sharper and from high quality metal.
TREATMENT
I was afraid to apply Triacneal which i usually use at night because i did not know if it wasn't to harsh for the freshly rolled skin. if anyone used them together with good or poor results, please let me know. for now i use jojoba and tea tree oil after rolling. next time will purchase or make a vitamin C serum, as i heard the results are amazing (i swallow 500-1000mg c vitamin daily anyway, hoping it will also help with collagen production..and somehow i think it makes my skin glow a little - i like that).

Will review again after one month. All in all, i recommend using the dermaroller, but if you are sensitive use a numbing cream (from 1.00mm up) and if you are the type of person that goes into panic, then don't use this, because the results can be very intense (for some, not for all) in terms of redness, swelling, tingling, hurting/burning. Good luck!

Popular Misc Beauty Tools